Photo Comparisons

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay, a very quick comparison of different camera modes in low light from this morning, starring my very bored cat.

Scene 1: forced exposure to ISO 400. this is what the scene actually looked like. Image Optimization is off, Quality set to Fine
ISO 400.jpg
Other than my cat moving, not a bad shot. detail is good but noisy.

Scene 2: Owl Mode. Image Optimization is off, Quality set to fine.
Low Light Mode.jpg
Much brighter than the actual scene. Noise is surprisingly well controlled. ISO is not nearly as high as I would have expected (1160).

Scene 3: Auto Mode. Image Optimization is off, Quality set to fine.
Auto Mode.jpg
I am impressed...very good detail and color, excellent exposure. ISO is only 1600. Owl model clearly trades off image resolution for noise, which is smart, but I'm pretty happy with Auto all around.

Scene 4: Auto Mode with Manual Optimization, Quality set to standard
Noise Reduction.jpg
So I used manual optimization, and went to 1.5 (out of 3) on the noise reduction slider. There are 5 other potential optimizations: Saturation, Sharpness, Contrast, Backlight, and Detail Enhancement. I left those at the neutral settings. Image Optimization probably uses all of these depending on the actual scene, but I wanted to test the noise reduction. 1.5 was clearly aggressive. I would have tried something else, but the cat decided it was time for breakfast and left the bed...

acrewdog

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow! Thanks so much.
Would you take some macro photos? How is the camera shutter responsiveness? Any lag taking photos?

RichieHD

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
All I know is that those photos are a lot better than the purple tinted ones my HTC One m7 take! If I end up getting this device I'll be very happy with the photo quality.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Here is a macro picture taken using the Depth of Field Mode. I didn't see much difference with this particular photo, but you can get a sense of detail. No info reported on shutter speed or ISO. Image Optimization still off. I was very close - a few inches - to the statue.
P_20150402_110849_DF.jpg

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I know you want to have more experience with the camera but I think you are favorable on it so far? How does it rank among android shooters you have used or experienced?

Posted via Nexus 6!

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, new cat pictures...Now with more light, AND comparison to Lumia 1020 and Sony Z3 Compact. Note this is a bit unfair, the Lumia has a 41MP sensor, and the Z3 Compact has a 21MP sensor. I didn't have my Desire EYE or Moto X 2014, which would have been closer, but we'll look at that later. Without further ado...all photos were taken without flash, and without zoom.

Lumia 1020:
What to say? this is where this camera shines...great dynamic range, great color. Still the standard, just tethered to 3 year old technology and a platform with a serious app gap (flamesuit ON). picture is too big to upload so you can see it here: http://1drv.ms/1y5r7hu

Z3 Compact - Google Camera, 20.7MP
This mode turns off most of the craptastic Sony image processing that kills what should be excellent images from a great sensor. Also good range and color...
http://1drv.ms/1Fqm8Yx

Z3 Compact - 8MP Mode. Sony Image processing in all its glory.
Z3C 8MP.jpg

Zenfone 2 - Image processing Off
Zenfone 2 Manual.jpg

Zenfone 2 - Full Auto. Yuck.
Zenfone 2 Full Auto.jpg

Zenfone 2 - slight noise reduction. I think this is probably the best compromise. Lots more fiddling to do. the nice part is, once you come up with a setting you like, it will stay until you change it...
Zenfone 2 Slight Noise Reduction.jpg

Last edited:

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Awesome comparo shots Quantify, thank you! Even though there are better.....the Zenfone camera looks to be no slouch!

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
My takeaway is that the camera is quite good. the colors are a little flat, but this again is adjustable in the settings to your taste. Camera speed is good, and the ability to lock exposure and focus with a long press is great. My only concern is that twice now, the phone has frozen while taking pictures. I'm sure this can be fixed with a software update, but annoying at the moment.

yeahman45

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
All I know is that those photos are a lot better than the purple tinted ones my HTC One m7 take! If I end up getting this device I'll be very happy with the photo quality.

what?? the purple tint photos issue is still there?? I had an htc desire (the first one) and it had the purple tint photos.. oh my

acrewdog

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you again!
To you, does the scene with the cat on the bedspread look more like the Sony one, or the Asus one, color-wise?

ZenLover

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Quantify, but: "Are that photos a little bit noisy?" :/

I'd like to buy the Zenfone 2 but i need to know if the camera is good or not.

Thank you again.

Last edited:

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Here is a really good comparison...ZenFone vs HTC desire eye. Both 13MP..great sensor and processing on the HTC. Here, I used a little noise reduction and a slight boost in saturation on the ASUS, full auto on the HTC.

HTC : very purple.
ASUS: dead on colors. No contest here.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• lh5.googleusercontent.jpg
    lh5.googleusercontent.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 68
  • P_20150403_150755.jpg
    P_20150403_150755.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 27

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Quantify, but: "Are that photo a little bit noisy?" :/

I'd like to buy the Zenfone 2 but i need to know if the camera is good or not.

Thank you again.

ASUS colors were muted...but see my most recent post, a slight change fixed that.

ZenLover

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, i can see and thank you for the new pic set, but i have a question: Looking this photos, what you think about the Pixel Master technology? I mean, is it a big feature for real?

Looking that photos i think that an iPhone 4s can do better things. It's not a provocation, i'm an Apple user, but i want to switch and i want understand about the camera :)

Thank you! :))

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, i can see and thank you for the new pic set, but i have a question: Looking this photos, what you think about the Pixel Master technology? I mean, is it a big feature for real?

Looking that photos i think that an iPhone 4s can do better things. It's not a provocation, i'm an Apple user, but i want to switch and i want understand about the camera :)

Thank you! :))

Not sure what you mean that an iPhone 4s can do better things. Certainly the camera software is not nearly as flexible as the ASUS. Regarding picture quality...been a while since I've used a 4s, so I can't speak to that.

ZenLover

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I agree with you, the asus software is more flexible than iOS.

About the "better things" i mean that the photos that i had taken are less "noisy" than theZenfone 2 sample.
Look at this:
IMG_1009.jpg

Attachments

• Share.jpg
    Share.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 29

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is we can always do some post production editing to clean up photo's one thing we cannot do is get the price point lower on a phone, and ASUS appears to have a very competitive price point on the ZenFone 2.