Horrible Image Quality

Bruce_601

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm shooting in Pro mode with the 50mp raw images and no matter what I try the picture quality is awful. I remember seeing reviews of this phone and they spend so much time hyping up the camera and showing these incredible pics but I can't get anywhere near it! Can anyone help me figure out if I have the right settings?

Today I went to a car museum. It was very well lit inside. I had it set for Pro, 50mp, and flash was on. I set the ISO for 250 because I found that with a higher ISO the grain was showing up really bad. ISO800 practically not usable. Other settings were f1.8, shutter 1/180.

I got home and put them on the computer and open the DNG file in Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw to convert. But even at 250 and with Photoshop's noise reduction the amount of noise was horrible when viewed at 100% size. Also it wasn't very sharp. Not necessarily blurry like motion blur but just appearing to be like low resolution. How do I get better pics with this phone???? Here's a couple of crops of the images.

Attachments

• 142645.jpg
    142645.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • camaro.jpg
    camaro.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 58

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If it's anything like the "64MP" sensor in my LG phone, you are best to forget that option even exists and such with the lower pixel binned resolution. It's basically a case of the MP wars becoming toomany pixels, nor enough sensor.

Basic camera physics dictate that the smaller a sensor pixel, the more noise it'll have relative to light collected. Things have improved over time, but not enough for stupid high pixel counts on tiny phone sensors. Pixel binning helps by combining 4 pixels into one, which allows it to cancel out much of that sensor noise. Yes it'll be a lower resolution, but the over all result is much better.

These might be salvageable in something like Topaz Photo AI or it's predecessor programs. You can try their free demo, but I them it and would be willing to run your photos through it to see what it can do for you when my schedule opens up a bit. I've seen it work wonders and has been invaluable for photo restorations.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos