ZenFone 2: Asus recommends 8 hr first charge

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
FYI - in the user manual for the 550ML and 551ML, Asus says to charge the phone for a full 8 hours before using it on battery power for the first time. I know hardly anyone does that and it's not like it is going to ruin your phone if you don't. But since the battery is not removable, I thought it was a good idea to let you guys who are concerned about optimal battery performance know this before you get your phones.

There is no explanation given for it. I would assume it has to do with battery calibration after the battery has been in a low charge storage state but I'm only guessing. It's on page 15 of the manual, which I've previously posted here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/asus-zenfone-2/509440-asus-zenfone-2-user-manual.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't most device manuals say something like that? I always figured it was more for liability rather than actual battery health. I'll probably charge it up to 100%, then for an additional hour or so afterwards.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Don't most device manuals say something like that? I always figured it was more for liability rather than actual battery health. I'll probably charge it up to 100%, then for an additional hour or so afterwards.

Most phones I've seen recommend a full charge. My current phone, a Note 3, just says to charge it fully before first use. This is the first I've seen that mentions an 8 hour charge. However, I don't collect phones - usually just have one at a time - so it's possible phones I haven't used before do. It was new to me. I'm used to removable batteries, which give you more leeway of course. I'm going to follow the rec on this one since it can't be replaced.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well I will give it a go and let it charge overnight and then hit up either Cricket or T-Mo for a pre-paid SIM so I can test it out without having to swap sims between the ZenFone 2 and my Galaxy S6 Edge. Just two more days for the Edge, and hopefully not long after that for the ZenFone 2, this will be a cool phone to play with for sure.