New Samsung Note 9 battery charger compatibility

MonstaMachiner

Jun 18, 2019
Visit site
I just bought a new Samsung Note 9 (Exynos 9810). Little did I know that the model I ordered was the EU version and not the US version, so the charger I received was unusable with any of my power sockets. I ordered an adapter online but thanks to my impatience, instead of waiting for the adapter - decided to just charge the new device for the first time with my old Asus Zenfone charger. The Note 9 charged pretty slowly, even though the Asus charger is a fast charger (5V, 2A or 9V, 2A similar to the Samsung's 5V, 2A or 9V, 1.67A). I charged it to 100%.

I've been experiencing pretty average battery life, which is weird since the Note 9 has a 4000mah battery. I have however been using the phone pretty heavily as I've been setting it up with my accounts. Did using the non-OEM charger for the first charge-up of the device - mess up the battery performance in any way?

I've been beating myself up over this, so I decided to do a Geekbench battery test (Partial Discharge), which returned a score of 4653 with "Medium confidence", which is lower than the score posted online (approx. 5000) However, I don't know if the online scores are for Partial Discharge, and the comparison scores my phone displayed for example for the Galaxy S8 were also lower on my phone than the ones posted online...

Am I worried over nothing? Would charging the battery for the first time with a non OEM charger hurt the battery/ phone? Is the battery charged at the factory with the OEM charger before it is sent to market?

tireboy66

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it too much..like you said you have been doing alot with it..the charger wouldn't have done any damage..just a slow charge..

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
ASUS is a quality brand. You only have to worry about low quality brands and its not really battery damage you have to worry about then but the charger or the contact flaming up.
Newer tech has the phone dictating how it charges. Meaning even if the charger is capable of giving 30W, if the phone is not capable it will tell only draw 10W or whatever it allows.
Samsung's Adaptive Fast Charging probably isn't compatible with what ASUS uses, so it's using the slow charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred