Multiple disconnects a day

xunilhr

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
About 10 times a day, my watch vibrates and, when I look, it has disconnected from the phone. Usually within a few seconds, it will connect back. When I am in a call, the phone vibrates in my ear and is quite annoying. The phone is a Galaxy S5. Anyone experiencing this or have a fix?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Which watch do you have paired to your GS5? Is it a Samsung one or another brand? Have you deleted the pairing and pair it again? Could be a BT issue with the phone or the watch itself.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
About 10 times a day, my watch vibrates and, when I look, it has disconnected from the phone. Usually within a few seconds, it will connect back. When I am in a call, the phone vibrates in my ear and is quite annoying. The phone is a Galaxy S5. Anyone experiencing this or have a fix?

Do you have the WiFi feature turned on for your ZenWatch 2, or do you have it set to off? I have my ZenWatch 2 paired with my HTC One phone, and haven't had a single disconnect report.

purpleclad

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have the WiFi turned off and have never had one disconnect. Not saying that is causing the issue, but it seems something is for some. I am paired to a Note 5.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I've got mine paired to an S5 also, with a couple disconnects every day or two. I just did a factory reset on the watch (literally just now, it's still syncing the apps as I'm typing this) and told my phone to completely forget it so I guess I'll see in a few days if that fixed it.

gerryex

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have the WiFi turned off and have never had one disconnect. Not saying that is causing the issue, but it seems something is for some. I am paired to a Note 5.

I have the ZW2 (the smaller version) and it is paired with an LG Volt and while I don't use it all the time when I do I have not yet had any disconnects. I did turn off Wi Fi as I didn't see any use for it and wanted to save some battery life.

By the way what is Wi Fi used for? When I first got the ZW2 and was playing around with it I used the phone with the ZW2 to set up the password for my home Wi Fi and it connected quickly. Then I purposely turned off the phone and I verified that the ZW2 was still connected to my Wi Fi and the little cloud with the line through it which appears at the top when not connected was NOT present. But when I tried OK Google to ask a question it said it was not connected. Again I verified that I was still connected to my Wi Fi but OK Google still would not work. Once I turned my phone back on and the ZW2 paired up with it OK Google worked again.

So what good is the Wi Fi on the ZW2?

Thanks,
Gerry

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
By the way what is Wi Fi used for? When I first got the ZW2 and was playing around with it I used the phone with the ZW2 to set up the password for my home Wi Fi and it connected quickly. Then I purposely turned off the phone and I verified that the ZW2 was still connected to my Wi Fi and the little cloud with the line through it which appears at the top when not connected was NOT present. But when I tried OK Google to ask a question it said it was not connected. Again I verified that I was still connected to my Wi Fi but OK Google still would not work. Once I turned my phone back on and the ZW2 paired up with it OK Google worked again.

So what good is the Wi Fi on the ZW2?

Thanks,
Gerry

The Wi-Fi is only used to sync your watch to your phone when there is a disconnect or interference between Bluetooth on your phone and Bluetooth on your watch. When the Bluetooth connection fails the watch and phone switch to communicating over Wi-Fi. Apparently you can leave your phone at home, go somewhere you have wi-fi access (not a place where you have to logon to a page, and confirm that you agree to their terms every time. In other words things like Starbucks, McDonald's, large retail stores, etc will not work. Some place you've entered a password, and your phone automatically logs into would work). Wi-Fi on the watches will fail if your phone is turned off. If you're phone and watch are kept it close proximity to one another, and your phone has a decent Bluetooth chip/card then you shouldn't have a need for the wi-fi feature (and turning it off will save you battery).

For people reporting disconnects, I've read that some people reported if you have the Lost Phone feature enabled (where it buzzes your watch when you are out of range / forgetting your phone) in ZenWatch Manager can apparently lead to more frequent disconnects. Don't know if its true, but if you have the feature enabled you can try disabling it and see if that works any better for you.

gerryex

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
The Wi-Fi is only used to sync your watch to your phone when there is a disconnect or interference between Bluetooth on your phone and Bluetooth on your watch.
. . . .

That's very interesting! From what you're saying it sounds like for OK Google the watch is only sending the digitized voice over to the phone and the phone changes it into text and performs the action or search and then sends the info back to the watch. If the watch is connected to the phone via BT then all is ok. But if the BT connection fails then if the watch AND THE PHONE are connected to Wi Fi then that link is used for the data transfer. But if the phone is off, even though the watch is connected to Wi Fi OK Google will not work. Is this correct?

I actually don't wear any kind of watch all the time especially when I'm home. When I do go out that is when I wear a watch and I'll always have my phone with me so I have turned off Wi Fi. But I was just curious as to how it works.

An off topic question, if you don't mind. I was just playing around with the watch and used OK Google to "call" someone one my contact list on the phone. But it used Skype on the phone to initiate the call instead of the regular phone service. Do you know how to make it use the regular phone service?

Gerry

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
The Wi-Fi is only used to sync your watch to your phone when there is a disconnect or interference between Bluetooth on your phone and Bluetooth on your watch. When the Bluetooth connection fails the watch and phone switch to communicating over Wi-Fi. Apparently you can leave your phone at home, go somewhere you have wi-fi access (not a place where you have to logon to a page, and confirm that you agree to their terms every time. In other words things like Starbucks, McDonald's, large retail stores, etc will not work. Some place you've entered a password, and your phone automatically logs into would work). Wi-Fi on the watches will fail if your phone is turned off. If you're phone and watch are kept it close proximity to one another, and your phone has a decent Bluetooth chip/card then you shouldn't have a need for the wi-fi feature (and turning it off will save you battery).

For people reporting disconnects, I've read that some people reported if you have the Lost Phone feature enabled (where it buzzes your watch when you are out of range / forgetting your phone) in ZenWatch Manager can apparently lead to more frequent disconnects. Don't know if its true, but if you have the feature enabled you can try disabling it and see if that works any better for you.

Appears to have fixed my frequent disconnects. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non