Galaxy Buds 2 Pro

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to share my experience with the Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 Pro. I have an S23 ultra and Galaxy watch 6 classic. So I naturally wanted to round out my Samsung devices by getting the Bud 2 Pro. So I traded in my Buds 2 for a $75 credit. I thought this is a no brainer.

I bought them in the second week of October. I used them almost every day at work. Usually half the day in with only one earbud in my right ear. Sometimes if the battery got low I would swap out for the left and charge the right. If course I my breaks at work, I'd use both to watch YouTube or some other type of videos. I'd also wear both of them in the evenings for about an hour several times a week.

Near the end of December 2023, I noticed my ears were starting to swell and it almost fell like I had a zit or pimple inside my ear canal. Then they would start leaking and I would have this crusty stuff forming. I'm assuming it was the fluid drying up. I finally went to urgent care on New Year's Eve and they said I had an ear infection. Mostly in the right ear. If you know how irritating an ear infection is then you know it's annoying. It felt like I had swimmers ear and had fluid trapped inside my ear. Anytime I would hear loud noises I could feel my ear drum vibrate. So I got some antibiotics to take care of it. Just about a week or two ago I noticed my ears doing the same thing again. I finally deduced that it must my the earbuds. I take care to clean my ears daily. I knew I didn't have a build up of wax or something.

I did a Google search of the Galaxy Buds 2 Pro causing ear infections. I came across several posts on Reddit of people complaining about the same thing that was experiencing. It must have something to do with the materials on the outside. Several people tried different hacks or cleaning them with no luck.

After I got my first ear infection, I took care to clean my Buds and the case like every other day. I swapped out smaller tips to see if my issue was them causing too much of a seal and trapping in moisture.

I chatted with Samsung yesterday and they are going to issue me a refund. I made sure to tell them there's nothing wrong with the earbuds and shared with them everything that I've mentioned here. They told me several times that this a serious matter and that my health is a priority.

They are sending me a box to ship them back to them and they will examine them and refund or replace them. I told them I'd prefer a refund because I don't have any confidence in a replacement set not causing the same issues again.

Last night I went ahead and ordered the OnePlus Buds 3. Those look to be pretty good. I do have the Soundcore Space A40's as a backup. Sure, I don't need two sets but I always like having two sets of earbuds. One set for work and the other for home.

Reactions: J Dubbs

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Buds 2 had the same issue, as did the previous 3 watches (some people report 'burns' on their wrist). Personally I've used them all (currently on the Watch 6 and Buds 2 Pro) and I've never experienced that, thankfully. I do miss the red Buds and wish they'd bring back that color :(

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Buds 2 had the same issue, as did the previous 3 watches (some people report 'burns' on their wrist). Personally I've used them all (currently on the Watch 6 and Buds 2 Pro) and I've never experienced that, thankfully. I do miss the red Buds and wish they'd bring back that color :(
Makes you wonder why they are still using whatever material it is that causes this reaction... Someone will probably have to die before they change it

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to share my experience with the Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 Pro. I have an S23 ultra and Galaxy watch 6 classic. So I naturally wanted to round out my Samsung devices by getting the Bud 2 Pro. So I traded in my Buds 2 for a $75 credit. I thought this is a no brainer.

I bought them in the second week of October. I used them almost every day at work. Usually half the day in with only one earbud in my right ear. Sometimes if the battery got low I would swap out for the left and charge the right. If course I my breaks at work, I'd use both to watch YouTube or some other type of videos. I'd also wear both of them in the evenings for about an hour several times a week.

Near the end of December 2023, I noticed my ears were starting to swell and it almost fell like I had a zit or pimple inside my ear canal. Then they would start leaking and I would have this crusty stuff forming. I'm assuming it was the fluid drying up. I finally went to urgent care on New Year's Eve and they said I had an ear infection. Mostly in the right ear. If you know how irritating an ear infection is then you know it's annoying. It felt like I had swimmers ear and had fluid trapped inside my ear. Anytime I would hear loud noises I could feel my ear drum vibrate. So I got some antibiotics to take care of it. Just about a week or two ago I noticed my ears doing the same thing again. I finally deduced that it must my the earbuds. I take care to clean my ears daily. I knew I didn't have a build up of wax or something.

I did a Google search of the Galaxy Buds 2 Pro causing ear infections. I came across several posts on Reddit of people complaining about the same thing that was experiencing. It must have something to do with the materials on the outside. Several people tried different hacks or cleaning them with no luck.

After I got my first ear infection, I took care to clean my Buds and the case like every other day. I swapped out smaller tips to see if my issue was them causing too much of a seal and trapping in moisture.

I chatted with Samsung yesterday and they are going to issue me a refund. I made sure to tell them there's nothing wrong with the earbuds and shared with them everything that I've mentioned here. They told me several times that this a serious matter and that my health is a priority.

They are sending me a box to ship them back to them and they will examine them and refund or replace them. I told them I'd prefer a refund because I don't have any confidence in a replacement set not causing the same issues again.

Last night I went ahead and ordered the OnePlus Buds 3. Those look to be pretty good. I do have the Soundcore Space A40's as a backup. Sure, I don't need two sets but I always like having two sets of earbuds. One set for work and the other for home.
Are you cleaning them with any cleaning solution and particular? I don't want a victim blame, I'm just wondering if there is anything that could have started a chemical reaction with whatever the buds are made of...

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
That sucks!

I've had a similar issue with some of these types of buds. Have you considered the buds live? I use those daily and they are my favorite. They don't go into your canal. They look weird, but are extremely comfortable. Very underrated in my opinion. Not the best noise cancelation, but the sound quality and comfort is solid.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
That sucks!

I've had a similar issue with some of these types of buds. Have you considered the buds live? I use those daily and they are my favorite. They don't go into your canal. They look weird, but are extremely comfortable. Very underrated in my opinion. Not the best noise cancelation, but the sound quality and comfort is solid.
No not really. Those are the bean looking things right? I think the OnePlus Buds 3 will be great. The mic quality and battery life are great from the reviews I watched on YouTube. Elejefe and Gamesky both gave them two thumbs up.

I switched over to my Soundcores and my ears have already gotten better.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
my understanding is/was that they used nickel in their contacts and that created a problem for some
Yeah that's what I read as well. Although one person tried covering them with blue painters tape while wearing them and it didn't help. As well as changing the tips.

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
No not really. Those are the bean looking things right? I think the OnePlus Buds 3 will be great. The mic quality and battery life are great from the reviews I watched on YouTube. Elejefe and Gamesky both gave them two thumbs up.

I switched over to my Soundcores and my ears have already gotten better.
Oh right on!
Yes, the beans...lol

Curious on those OP buds. Let us know how they are please

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
That sucks!

Buds Live are awesome. I switched to Buds2 Pro since it became painfully obvious that Samsung was moving away from those. For me, the Buds2 Pro are surprisingly comfortable.

Reactions: The_Woo

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I will be sending my Buds 2 Pro back today. Then I'll have to wait a few days after they receive them to decide what they are going to do for me. I had to provide them with the receipt as well as proof that I went to the Dr for an ear infection. But they definitely told me that my health is a main priority of theirs so I'm pretty confident that they will issue me a refund.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear of the issue. I'm sure you will have the refund taken care of .. most importantly your health. Do you plan on trying another brand or maybe go with over the ear headphones

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear of the issue. I'm sure you will have the refund taken care of .. most importantly your health. Do you plan on trying another brand or maybe go with over the ear headphones
I ordered the OnePlus Buds 3. They'll be arriving today or tomorrow. I'm currently using the Soundcore Space A40's. They are pretty good as well. I like to have two pairs of earbuds. I also have some Soundcore Q30 over the ear bt headphones I use occasionally at home.

I'm bummed because the Galaxy Buds 2 Pro were definitely my favorite earbuds. It's a shame my ears were allergic or something to them. I had traded in the Galaxy Buds 2 on the 2 pros, which sucks because they were good earbuds. Even though they gave me $75 trade in on them, I wish I still had them.

If they don't give me a refund then I'm going to ask them to replace them with the Buds 2. I don't want to chance it with the Buds FE as they are newer and could affect my ears too.

Reactions: Bkdodger1

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I ordered the OnePlus Buds 3. They'll be arriving today or tomorrow. I'm currently using the Soundcore Space A40's. They are pretty good as well. I like to have two pairs of earbuds. I also have some Soundcore Q30 over the ear bt headphones I use occasionally at home.

I'm bummed because the Galaxy Buds 2 Pro were definitely my favorite earbuds. It's a shame my ears were allergic or something to them. I had traded in the Galaxy Buds 2 on the 2 pros, which sucks because they were good earbuds. Even though they gave me $75 trade in on them, I wish I still had them.

If they don't give me a refund then I'm going to ask them to replace them with the Buds 2. I don't want to chance it with the Buds FE as they are newer and could affect my ears too.

I do like the Buds 2 Pro ...I look forward to your thoughts on the OnePlus

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Just received an email saying that Samsung is going to refund me for the Buds 2 Pro. I'm not sure if it's going to go back to my Samsung TD Bank account as a credit or payment or if it will go to my credit card or bank account. I paid for them using Samsung financing through TD Bank.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site

Sorry to hear about the allergy? But for me it's buds 2 pro and Jabra Elite 10's work amazing with my zflip4, Zfold 4 and Moto Razr+.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Now I'm not so sure that the earbuds were causing the ear infections as I currently have another ear infection. Dr told me that it could be due to me using q-tips every day. I also got some comply tips for my OnePlus Buds 3 just in case it's the silicone that is affecting me.

Maybe I jumped to conclusions too soon with the Galaxy Buds 2 Pro causing them. Nevertheless, I prefer the OnePlus Buds 3 because I'm not touching the parts of the earbuds that go into my ear canals.

It's really strange though as I've been doing the same thing for years and have never had any ear infections before. So I don't know what changed.

I didn't like how small the Buds 2 Pro were as most of the earbud was in my ears.