Wifi for Zenwatch?

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Now that's interesting... Very cool if it turns out to be true! Would hopefully make downloading music to the watch faster... Instead of using Bluetooth.

Thanks for the link!

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought this line was a bit much:

"Let us know how you feel in the comments LG G Watch, G Watch R, and ZenWatch owners. Your watches are now borderline obsolete thanks to this hardware fragmentation."

I'm a g watch owner and honestly, I don't really give a rat's *** about this feature so no big loss from my pov.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not that concerned that my Zenwatch won't have Wifi. I was wondering why I would want it since I always have my watch and phone, even around the house. We can't use Wifi at work, so useless there. I'd have to see some compelling use before I'd miss it.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm so pissed.. That sucks for an otherwise great watch... Time to look at how to move on away from ZenWatch 1.0

Posted via Android Central App

Bgrngod

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
So we can kill the otherwise awesome battery life? No thanks. Bluetooth does a just fine job with everything I've wanted it to do so far. I'll never not have my phone with me, so wifi in the watch is totally pointless.

dswatson83

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't see a huge reason for this wifi feature as I always have my phone on me. Maybe at home since I'll lose bluetooth if I go to the other side of my house without my phone but still, minor impact.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I'd use it. Sometimes I am away from my phone, whether in the house or my phone is in my car, etc. Would be great. I could even tether to my wife or kids phone without mine.. Very cool. Battery life is the fear but we know nothing about wifi impact on these batteries.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Except there's no way wifi uses less battery than btle.

Yeah. Would depend on how it's implemented as to how much I suppose. And with no antenna it would use a ton! Wonder why asus decided on no antenna (if true). Maybe they knew it would not have enough battery and punted. Seems shortsighted to cut off that option although if true it makes these decisions easy.. No way to focus on wifi with ZenWatch 1.0 so they can focus on 2.0, their own os, etc.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No matter how I think about it, I just can't picture a situation where I'd be wearing the watch without the phone nearby. If I leave the house without the phone, that means I forgot my phone. Sure, people leave the house to go exercise, but you still need an open wi-fi network (or one that you've logged into before). That would be limited to the gym, unless you live in a community that has complete outdoor wi-fi coverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa