Benefits of unlocked bootloader?

Mr.MiAmI

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I have an atrix running gingerbread that is rooted with the webtop hack. I am considering unlocking the bootloader as well. What are the advantages of having an unlocked bootloader as compared to it being locked? Thanks for any replies.

c_86

HaXoR Master
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
the only thing (as far as i know) is unlocking the bootloader will allow you to load custom ROMs like CM7 (which is in pre-beta right now)

i am waiting until CM7.1 is out for it and is really stable before i bother with unlocking my bootloader as i dont plan on loading anything else anytime soon...

hope this made sense

dictoresno

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
ive tried a few of the custom ROMs out there. so far, Alien 3 is working out real well. theres a couple odds and ends that need to be fixed which will be done in v4 soon hopefully.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I unlocked my bootloader and am running the latest ICS 4.0.3 ROM. It's a definite daily driver, almost everything works(finger print scanner and hardware accel aren't working), but it runs great without them.

JohnnyUtah

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I unlocked my bootloader and am running the latest ICS 4.0.3 ROM. It's a definite daily driver, almost everything works(finger print scanner and hardware accel aren't working), but it runs great without them.

Interesting, what is the name of the latest ICS 4.0.3 ROM and where did you find it? All I've seen are unstable Kangs and photon alphas at xda, all of which are reported to have stability issues. I would love to have a stable ics rom, can you post a link?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Interesting, what is the name of the latest ICS 4.0.3 ROM and where did you find it? All I've seen are unstable Kangs and photon alphas at xda, all of which are reported to have stability issues. I would love to have a stable ics rom, can you post a link?

[Ics] cm9 by photon dev team. 1/16/2012 - xda-developers

I run this and it's not crashed once.. phone calls work, sms works, 3g/hspa data works, gps works, accelerometer works, hq video in youtube works, sd card mounts, pretty much everything works except fingerprint scanner and I guess HW accel but I dont notice it not working? who knows, maybe it does work.

Last edited:

stonefeet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Same here I was shocked for how good it was for an alpha, it's like a whole new device
Moto will never officially release it anyway
This thing is going to be dumb fast with hardware acceleration on
It's just as fast if not faster than the stock ROM as is