Rooting with 1.4.1

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I noticed their was a NC update today to 1.4.1, so I DL'ed it... then, I happened to come across a rooting thread. I've had my NC almost since they were released and I've been hesitant on rooting, but I finally gave in. I followed the instructions HERE and was able to get CM7.1.0 installed and running. I can't say with no issues, since I didn't venture far into it. However, when I tried to install gapp, I could not figure out anyway to get the nook to boot in recovery mode to install gapp. I even tried using CM7.0.3 and CM7.0.0 and I still could not figure out how to get to recovery. On 0.3 and 0.0 the power down menu even has a "recovery mode" option, yet it would reboot normally. Is it possible 1.4.1 does not allow recovery anymore?

I have quoted myself from a post of mine below in order to keep everyone from reading the junk in between. If you want to read after this, read beginning HERE (click).

This is running Nook1.4.1 and CM7.1.0
Well, I finally got it to work. I have no idea how, but I did. I would love to provide step-by-step, but I tripped many times along the way, so I'm not sure what it was that finally made it take.

Links that helped along the way:
http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/07/ereader-running-cm7-on-nook-color-from.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=947698

Let me try my best to put my steps in order (no promises). Some steps may be redundant.
1) Follow the guide steps from the first link to get everything ready; go all the way through loading CM7 on your device. Once you have loaded and ran CM7 (before gapps) be sure to turn on your WiFi so it will make your registration easier. Shut down (to begin the gapp install).
2) Follow the guide steps from the first link to get everything ready; go all the way through loading CM7 on your device and then shut down (to begin the gapp install), then return here for step 3.
3) Copy gapp to your SD card ALSO, from the second link, copy the contents of the uboot zip to your SD card (uboot file plus META-INF folder). Put the SD card back in your NC.
4) (this is where it gets cloudy and tricky) Power your device up holding the power button and both volume buttons until it HOPEFULLY gets to the penguin menu and begins to install gapps. Once completed it will act like it is powered down, but you will need to fully power it down (same as step 1).
5) Take the SD card out and reattach it to your computer. Copy the ORIGINAL CM7 file you copied from step 1 on to the SD card AGAIN.
6) Reboot your NC.

Again, I played with it for quite some time and I'm not inclined to uninstall just to figure the steps out. If this works on the first go-around for someone, please let us know.

Last edited:

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I noticed their was a NC update today to 1.4.1, so I DL'ed it... then, I happened to come across a rooting thread. I've had my NC almost since they were released and I've been hesitant on rooting, but I finally gave in. I followed the instructions HERE and was able to get CM7.1.0 installed and running. I can't say with no issues, since I didn't venture far into it. However, when I tried to install gapp, I could not figure out anyway to get the nook to boot in recovery mode to install gapp. I even tried using CM7.0.3 and CM7.0.0 and I still could not figure out how to get to recovery. On 0.3 and 0.0 the power down menu even has a "recovery mode" option, yet it would reboot normally. Is it possible 1.4.1 does not allow recovery anymore?

Ok, so are you using CM or 1.4? Your post suggests that you are using both so I assume you are running CM7 from an SD card but I would like to make sure before getting into anything.

---------------------------------
Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Correct, I am using an SD card so it's easy(er) to convert back if needed. I am currently back to 1.4.1 since I couldn't get to the recovery mode to install gapp. I had no problem at all loading CM7.0.0, 7.0.3 or 7.1.0; I just couldn't get to recovery mode for gapp.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Correct, I am using an SD card so it's easy(er) to convert back if needed. I am currently back to 1.4.1 since I couldn't get to the recovery mode to install gapp. I had no problem at all loading CM7.0.0, 7.0.3 or 7.1.0; I just couldn't get to recovery mode for gapp.

When you create the card put 7.1 stable AND the gapps on at the same time and see if that fixes it.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
When you create the card put 7.1 stable AND the gapps on at the same time and see if that fixes it.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. If not, is it possible to downgrade my NC to a previous version? If I'm running CM, it doesn't really matter what my NC version is since I won't really be using that anyway... right?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that you had to install 7.1 stable first and after that is working then install gaaps for some reason....

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I was under the impression that you had to install 7.1 stable first and after that is working then install gaaps for some reason....

When I tried that rout, I was able to install 7.1 first, but I couldn't get to the recovery menu.

I've seen rumor on the interwebs that people are able to install both at 1 time, but it appears to be with older NC and older CM versions.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Assuming it works, I am trying a manual gapps install method I found HERE. I have unzipped the gapps file and am easily able to locate the files on the SD card. However, when I try to run them (after unlocking the permission to allow it) it gives me a green check mark, but then right next to the check mark it says "Application not installed". I feel like I may be close with this method.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I was able to install GoogleServicesFramework, MediaUploader and Vending. This provides me with the market icon and I can get all the way to sign in, but then it tells me "can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" - ugh... SO close.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
OK, SETTINGS --> APPLICATIONS --> MANAGE APPLICATIONS Google Services Framework (then Market) --> FORCE STOP --> CLEAR DATA

Powered down - then rebooted.

I was able to get a step further and it told me my account is now synced, but it force closes when I try to open the market...

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I got that and noticed that wireless was off. I backed out and started wireless and went back to market set up and it worked fine.

Did you do a manual install like I did above, or were you able to install the zip through recovery?

I tried clearing all caches again, rebooting, turning WiFi off then back on and I still get "The application Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Well, I finally got it to work. I have no idea how, but I did. I would love to provide step-by-step, but I tripped many times along the way, so I'm not sure what it was that finally made it take.

Links that helped along the way:
Ana Mardoll's Ramblings: eReader: Running CM7 on a Nook Color from SD Card (REPOST)
[ADV](multi)u-boot v0.4 - xda-developers

Let me try my best to put my steps in order (no promises). Some steps may be redundant.
1) Feel free to back up whatever you feel you need to backup. However, since I used an SD card to perform all of this, I was able to try over and over and over and over... And, by just removing the SD card and rebooting, I was able to reset when needed.
2) Follow the guide steps from the first link to get everything ready; go all the way through loading CM7 on your device. Once you have loaded and ran CM7 (before gapps) be sure to turn on your WiFi so it will make your registration easier. Shut down (to begin the gapp install).
3) Copy gapp to your SD card ALSO, from the second link, copy the contents of the uboot zip to your SD card (uboot file plus META-INF folder). Put the SD card back in your NC.
4) (this is where it gets cloudy and tricky) Power your device up holding the power button and both volume buttons until it HOPEFULLY gets to the penguin menu and begins to install gapps. Once completed it will act like it is powered down, but you will need to fully power it down (same as step 1).
5) Take the SD card out and reattach it to your computer. Copy the ORIGINAL CM7 file you copied from step 1 on to the SD card AGAIN.
6) Reboot your NC.

Again, I played with it for quite some time and I'm not inclined to uninstall just to figure the steps out. If this works on the first go-around for someone, please let us know.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
This is how I was able to successfully root my NC with 1.4.1

Found this on XDA, seems to fix all the rooting and market issues.

1. Started from a 1.4.1 update that had been MN to 4.6.16a and then MN to 4-12-16-test.
2. Then updated to MN 5-12-18
3. Market, Amazon App Store, and BN store all work perfect. Downloading and installing apps.
4. Gmail works. Youtube Works, Netflix Works.
5. Whole new, cool "welcome" screen.
6. Cant find how to get live wallpapers to work just yet.
7. Everything else is perfect.

You can find 5-12-18 here:

manualnooter-5-12-18.zip

Followed this to a T on another Nook Color and it worked perfect on that one too.

Not running a dual boot but I prefer this to CM7 anyways. Now just waiting on an OC mod for 1.4.1.
O:)O:)O:)O:)O:)O:)O:)