removed Rooted SD card, but can't update successfully?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
hey guys--

sold my nook color (had CM7 running on the MSD card, so i formatted the MSD card and wiped/de-registered the device) and the guy registered it under his name.

he really wanted netflix so he---
"went to the BN website and copied [the software update that enables Netflix] to Nooks main folder. Then
when it goes to sleep it starts the updating process and then a small
android man and a triangle with an ! inside of it pops up. After
getting with BN they wanted me to deregister and reregister it."

i was under the impression "no card=no rooted device".

do i need to do something else to the device to get it to accept the update for him?
or should i just tell him to go into a BarnesnNoble store and let it download the update from that wifi connection?

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You needed to deregister the stock side before you sold it so he can register it later. Rooting has nothing to do with this part. I don't know what you mean by you "wiped/de-registered the device". To successfully sell/give a device to someone else so they can use it with the stock system requires you to deregister it first. Then they register it all over again like you originally did. The device is locked to the individual serial number. If you are not sure at this point what state it is in you can go ahead and register it again and then deregister it.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You needed to deregister the stock side before you sold it so he can register it later. Rooting has nothing to do with this part. I don't know what you mean by you "wiped/de-registered the device". To successfully sell/give a device to someone else so they can use it with the stock system requires you to deregister it first. Then they register it all over again like you originally did. The device is locked to the individual serial number. If you are not sure at this point what state it is in you can go ahead and register it again and then deregister it.

i went in and through the 'ssytem info' i deregistered *which wipes* the device.

but i agree, i think CWM is still on this device.

Dave, if i follow your post--it will remove CWM, correct?
it's odd b/c i never saw any CWM menu on the device after i rooted--perhaps i just wasn't looking in the right spot.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
What you are seeing is CWM (clockwork mod). It is blocking the update. It is residue from a previous rooting, not from your sd CM7 boot.

See:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ba...-unable-manually-update-stock-nc-1-4-1-a.html

After following the instructions there it will accept the update normally.

Possibly, but the post says it started the update. If CWR is on there nothing will start.

Nonetheless, maybe it is and the post is just not clear. In fact, there is a lot that is not clear on how he got to this point.....

Hold the power button and boot into recovery. If you see a CWR menu than yes, you need to get rid of CWR.

At this point, it is not clear to me what comes up when you boot up the device.

If all else fails create a bootable sd card with CWR version 3.2.0.1 and then wipe data, system, cache & Davlik. Put the stock ROM on the card as well and choose "install .zip from sd card". Finish, remove the card and boot into stock. Register and deregister under your old account and then let the new person register it again under their B&N account.

CWR 3.2.0.1: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Stock 1.3 ROM: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

DaveW#AC

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
What he is describing is exactly what happened to mine when I tried to update according to B&N instructions to let the Nook sleep and find the update file. The procedure described by patruns should correct the problem.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38