How to make SD Card on Tab A 10.1 (2019) as default storage

CarolinaMiami

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1, 32 GB (2019). 29 of 32 GB is used so I just purchased a Samsung 128 GB SD card since so many websites talk about expanding storage on Android devices with a SD card. The SD card is installed and it appears on my Storage page as separate storage and I formatted it.

So, then I read the thread on this forum in which users told another Tab A user who installed an SD card, that he cannot make that SD card the default device. So, my question is - what good is the SD card? Why does Samsung even offer the ability to expand storage if you can't make it a default storage device? I use my tablet for reading books, cruising the internet, downloading movies. There are some photos but I am not using the tablet to take photos anymore. So, can someone offer advice on how I can use this SD card? Thank you !!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you don't see an option in the system settings (in the Storage section) to make the SD card the default save location, then you typically have to look in the settings of each app to see if they have an option to choose the default location. Most e-reader apps (like Kindle, Overdrive, and hoopla) have options in their respective settings to set the default location. Chrome should have that option as well in its settings.

Keep in mind that the SD card is primarily for storage of media and document files -- NOT for installation of apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej