[HOW-TO] Flashable Zip: Install Honeycomb to Internal Memory (eMMC) of Nook Color

jdeez05

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I had Froyo running prior to doing this (HC on the internal memory). It worked great, but still felt more like a phone than a tablet. Now it's fast & sexy looking!

I had a little under 1gb left on the internal after the install. I updated the market & whatnot (from the OP). I didn't back anything up from my froyo install, so I'm going to pop my empty 8g SD card back in and download a bunch of stuff.

Will the system put the apps on the SD card? I'm sure I'll have 3-4gb of apps & games to get, and the system memory is down to around 800mb.

Thanks again to the OP, this was easy-peasy! :D

edit - one more question, I'm still reading through the replies so the info may be there already. Any way to get Flash with this, or should I get one flash player apps from the market? (I saw one, i think?)

jdeez05

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok the market let me install a few apps, then the rest failed (said insufficient space or something like that). I have my 8g sd card mounted, is it possible to put my apps on that? Using a file manager or something?

tanstaafl1963

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
The flash to internal with HC worked fine. Having problems however getting some apps downloaded. I've got the Nook app from the market downloaded, but it's not seeing any of the books on my SD card. Also, when I attach the NC to my PC via the USB cable, Calibre doesn't recognize it. I thought this was a rooted image, is that correct?

IsoGen

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to update a rooted Nook Color currently running Froyo to Honeycomb? The flashable zip with CWR does not work, as the system seems to skip the recovery mode and loads up as usual.

merc476

May 12, 2011
Visit site
The flash to internal with HC worked fine. Having problems however getting some apps downloaded. I've got the Nook app from the market downloaded, but it's not seeing any of the books on my SD card. Also, when I attach the NC to my PC via the USB cable, Calibre doesn't recognize it. I thought this was a rooted image, is that correct?

I'm having the same exact issue. Only mine doesn't even let me install the Nook app. Also, how do you access files on your SD card using HC? Thanks

kingvargas

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
ok so ive rooted my old nook color with HC v4. got the market to work but not youtube nor does adobe flash show up on the market? did i miss something here?? wouldnt youtube atleast work? whats the whole point of getting HC if it cant do videos. when before it was rooted with nookie something everything worked fine. could someone please inlighten me with whats the point of HC or what im doing wrong with youtube and flash. thanks

developer40

May 18, 2011
Visit site
After this I'm sitting at a blinking "ANDROID_" cursor. Any ideas? Thanks

~ # dd if=/sdcard/hc4bootOC.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
dd if=/sdcard/hc4bootOC.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
144522+0 records in
144522+0 records out
73995264 bytes (70.6MB) copied, 73.337586 seconds, 985.3KB/s
~ # dd if=/sdcard/hc4system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
dd if=/sdcard/hc4system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
66+1 records in
66+1 records out
33942 bytes (33.1KB) copied, 0.023468 seconds, 1.4MB/s
~ # dd if=/sdcard/hc4data.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6
dd if=/sdcard/hc4data.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6
66+1 records in
66+1 records out
33922 bytes (33.1KB) copied, 0.027863 seconds, 1.2MB/s
~ #

jonissoawesome#AC

May 18, 2011
Visit site
After this I'm sitting at a blinking "ANDROID_" cursor. Any ideas? Thanks

~ # dd if=/sdcard/hc4bootOC.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
dd if=/sdcard/hc4bootOC.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
144522+0 records in
144522+0 records out
73995264 bytes (70.6MB) copied, 73.337586 seconds, 985.3KB/s
~ # dd if=/sdcard/hc4system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
66+1 records in
66+1 records out
33942 bytes (33.1KB) copied, 0.023468 seconds, 1.4MB/s
~ # dd if=/sdcard/hc4data.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6
66+1 records in
66+1 records out
33922 bytes (33.1KB) copied, 0.027863 seconds, 1.2MB/s
~ #

I'm having the same issue :(

mrfizzed

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
can you guys answer something for me???? if i do this install method a brand new nook color and flash honeycomb to thew internal memory, is there a way (and if so where) that i could go back to the standard nook os in case i want it back (i would probably use the micro sd method for using honeycomb in that case to switch back and forth)? thanks in advance.

dark96

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
hi, i just got my nook this past sunday, and flashed HC on here, but cannot seem to get my market to work at all. i looked through a good amount of here, but it seems people can atleast connect...where as i cannot. i was hoping for some help. thanks

Ghornet54

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] Flashable Zip: Install Honeycomb to Internal Memory

A flashable zip is now available for the latest update. I haven't tested this personally, but most people seem to be having success with it. Instructions for an adb installation are posted as well - take your pick!

Developer deeper-blue, who ported Honeycomb to the Nook Color, has a thread here.

Note that YOU WILL BE ERASING EVERYTHING on the internal memory of your Nook. Yes, all your data will be gone. Again, turn back now if you aren't comfortable with that.

If you're already rooted or are running Nookie Froyo on internal memory, you might want to do a Titanium Backup first, as this could help get your data back if you restore back to that state later. Just be aware that some apps will cause the system to crash on Honeycomb (it is still an early build) so be careful doing mass restores with Titanium. One app at a time, and only the apps that are most important is what I'd suggest. If something crashes, just repeat the instructions to start fresh with HC.

If you want to go back to stock, refer to our stickied Restore NC to stock thread. Please read over all of those instructions beforehand and decide if that's something you're comfortable with doing if things go south. If not, please refrain and wait for a 100% stable Honeycomb ROM.

Flashable zip instructions:

Credit to samuelhalff for the zip, whose thread can be found here: [ZIP][DEV][ROM] HoneyComb (HC) v4 on eMMC - Flashable ZIP - xda-developers

* Note that the flashable zip uses the 1.1GHz overclock kernel by default.

1. Download the zip here.

2. Download this ClockworkMod recovery image and burn it to an SD card. Please refer to threads on rooting or on installing Honeycomb to SD if you haven't yet learned how to burn an image to an SD card.

3. Drag/drop the zip file onto the newly-burned SD card.

- if there isn't enough room on the card, or if it isn't responding, you can a) use a seconds card that you switch out after Clockwork boots, or b) reformat the Clockwork card and put the file on it then (after it boots into CW)

4. Power down your Nook, insert the SD, and power on. You're now in ClockworkMod Recovery.

5. Under mounts/storage, choose format system, then format data, then format boot.

6. Use the power button to go back, then choose 'Install zip from SD card,' then 'choose zip from SD card,' then choose the file.

7. Wait for the process to complete - it will take a while.

You should now have Honeycomb installed on your Nook - including Market/Google apps.

* If you have problems downloading from the Market, under Settings, go to Applications>Manage Applications>Google Services Framework - and choose wipe data and force stop. Still under Manage Applications, choose Market, and force stop. Then reboot and see if it works.

* If it isn't reading your SD card, power down, insert your SD before powering on, then boot up.

* If you have other problems, I can vouch for the installation method below.

ADB installation instructions:

Indirect credit goes to the authors of various methods from different (Nookie-related) tutorials, including those by samuelhalff, fattire, and theyownus.

This is some advanced command line stuff, so please only proceed if you're comfortable taking risks with your device (we aren't responsible if it becomes a $250 windshield scraper).

This image of deeper-blue's v04 Honeycomb port is already rooted. To make everything 100% root-ready, install Titanium Backup, and hit the 'Problems?' button (after installing HC of course).

Still here? Okay, here we go . . .[/I]

1. Download the following 2 files, and extract them using WinRAR (on PC), or Stuffit Expander (on Mac):

hc4system.img.gz

hc4data.img.gz

* if you'd prefer, here is a torrent link to the data file:

hc4data.img.gz

- then download one of the following two files--one is overclocked to 1.1GHz, the other is the stock 800MHz kernel. The OC'd one runs very fast.

hc4boot.img.gz (800 MHz)

hc4bootOC.img.gz (overclocked - 1.1GHz)

* if you'd prefer, here's a torrent link to the overclocked boot file:

hc4bootOC.img.gz

3. Download this ClockworkMod recovery image and burn it to an SD card. Please refer to threads on rooting or on installing Honeycomb to SD if you haven't yet learned how to burn an image to an SD card.

- If your card is big enough, drag the files onto the card now.

4. If you didn't have enough room for the files, then you can either use a second SD card (which you'll switch out after the Nook has booted into Clockwork), or you can actually reformat the Clockwork card after it's booted, put the files on it and then put it into the Nook (which is still sitting there in Clockwork).

Boot your nook with the SD inserted to enter clockwork.

5. Connect the Nook to your computer with whichever SD card has the 3 files on it inserted.

At this point, hit wipe cache.

Then select mounts/storage, and mount sdcard.

6. Now open a command/terminal prompt in your adb folder, and enter the following commands (NOTE THAT THE COMMANDS THAT START WITH DD WILL TAKE TIME--WAIT FOR THE BLINKING CURSOR TO GO AWAY) :

adb shell

dd if=/sdcard/hc4boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (replace the hc4boot.img part with hc4bootOC.img if you're using the overclock kernel)

Now you can power down. Power back on (without a bootable SD inserted) and it should boot into Honeycomb.

Installing the Android Market on the Nook Color running Honeycomb internally:

1. Download this version of the Market (2.2.11).

2. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk.

3. Place the files in your adb tools folder (or platform-tools on the newer version - wherever adb.exe is)

4. Open a command prompt in that folder, and issue the following commands:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

adb push Vending.apk system/app/Vending.apk

adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk

adb shell

cd system/app

chmod 6755 Vending.apk

chmod 6755 GoogleServicesFramework.apk

exit

adb reboot

Then go to apps, open the market, sign in. If the Market won't open at first, reboot and try again.

***note that you may (or may not) need to turn your screen off/on once after every reboot to avoid touchscreen lag (much like w/Nookie Froyo). I haven't had to do this with the recent updates, but be aware, in case you find it not very responsive.

****While running Honeycomb from Internal Memory NEVER choose the option to format your SD Card from within Honeycomb. The files that were altered to let HC run internally will lead the OS to actually format your boot partition instead of your SD. If you need to format an SD, do it on your computer or in an Android phone, etc.*****

This is great!!!! I changed over my Nook Color and love it. The only thing I will say is that you MUST read ALL the instructions. I was having problems with the Nook downloading from Market. It would download everything the first time, but after I shut it down and restarted it, I couldn't get anything to download. I tried to reinstall Honeycomb several times until I finally decided to read the entire set of instructions. What do you know it the instructions was how to download from Market if you're having problems. After I wiped the Cache, I've never had problems.

Not the instructions fault, just mine.

vineyardvine

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I'm about to do this with a 16GB MicroSD card.

The Clockwork images are supposed to correlate to the size of the SD card, right? So, would I be safe using the 8GB image or is there another alternative?

Thanks

Ghornet54

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

I have my nook color rooted to Android Honeycomb v4 second edition. I'm running Windows 7 on my computer. My computer won't recognize Honeycomb. I can remove the SD card and download anything on it, but when I hook the nook to my computer, it will not recognize the nook. I've take the nook back to stock and my computer will see it, but not the rooted version.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

GR8REVIL

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

NOOK COLOR stopped responding after "5. Under mounts/storage, choose format system, then format data, then format boot." black screen no boot up. What's up with this? Help Please

hjhaveri

May 24, 2011
Visit site

I am trying to extract the 128mb_rootpack-0.7.tar.gz using gzip and I get a .tar file which seems to be corrupted.

I get the following message:There is no correct record at end of archive.

Please let me know what can I do to get the image file.

Dburdett84

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I am trying to install and when i try to format data, i get "error formatting /data!" any help please.

tuckerplee

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

I'm a noob, tried the zip way and it worked the first time, took like 30 mins. Thanks all involved, really helped!

tuckerplee

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

I am trying to install and when i try to format data, i get "error formatting /data!" any help please.

I got the exact same thing, took the risk and proceeded anyways (after formatting boot and system) and it worked totally fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer