Updating CM ROMs

froggersloth

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm using cm_encore_full-18 on my NC. There have been a number of nightly updates. I'm unclear on how updates work. I can go though the whole process again, of course, and overwrite everything. However, I see references from time to time to updating the ROM. Does that require an update.zip? Can I just load the new zip (currently cm_encore_full-25.zip) and install it, without choosing the option to wipe any of the memory sections?

Kage87Z

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm using cm_encore_full-18 on my NC. There have been a number of nightly updates. I'm unclear on how updates work. I can go though the whole process again, of course, and overwrite everything. However, I see references from time to time to updating the ROM. Does that require an update.zip? Can I just load the new zip (currently cm_encore_full-25.zip) and install it, without choosing the option to wipe any of the memory sections?

I can only tell you what I do.

I use rom manager.

I download the nightly (25 is the last one as of this writing) to the sd chip in my cell that has a "disk drive" function.

I move the sd chip to my NC.

I power the NC back up

rom manager>install rom from sd card.

that takes you to a list that shows everything at the directory level along with any downloaded files you have on the SD chip.

I just scroll down to cm_encore_full-25.zip and press it.

A window comes up that asks if I want to do back up existing ROM (I don't) and/or wipe data and Cache (again, I don't.)

I only can presume that you have ClockWorkMod installed at this point as well.

That's how I do it.

robt1

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
YES, you may update without wiping system or data. All you need to do is flash the new updated rom. I do recommend wiping the cache though - it only takes a second and you won't lose any of your user data or apps. Cheers.

froggersloth

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for the replies. That helps a lot. I'm about to give it a try... I left my MicroSD card in my shirt pocket, so it got washed and dried. I plugged it in and it worked perfectly. MicroSD rocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87