B&N sold 3 mil Nook Color in Fall, becomes iPad's nightmare?

pixelslave

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I found a piece of news tonight and posted to my blog? Some people are saying that Barnes and Noble sold 3 million of Nook Color in the fall. If it's true, that could be a tremendous success. However, the original source (Electonista) only stated that the news came from some unnamed suppliers. Does anyone hear know someone who could verify the news?

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
That same number is being bantered around many places. CNet quotes Digitimes ("the always breaking, not always credible Taiwanese tech news outlet"), MSNBC does the same.

AND YET, Digitimes actually states that B&N "has taken delivery of close to three million Nook Color e-book readers from its production partner, according to an estimate by sources from the Nook Color supply chain." (Italics mine.)

And that sales "of the Nook Color topped one million units in the North America in the fourth quarter of 2010 and reached 600,000-700,000 units a month during the January-February period of 2011."

So, the news outlets, in an on-going effort to be first rather than be right, aren't even reading the bloody unreliable source correctly. 1 million units sold in the 4th quarter of 2010, taken delivery of 3 million units (in a warehouse somewhere), and 650,000 units/month in Jan-Feb 2011, which works out to about 2 million in Q1 2011.

hefflm

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
B&N stock is in the crapper though. It is lower than it was late 2008/early 2009. I would not be surprised to see them go to a more digital model with less B&M stores. The news about the NC being so successful is probably great news for B&N executives.

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
With Borders stores closing up faster than ...never mind...B&N is the only major book retailer still standing (besides the ever-dwindling independent bookseller).

And while Amazon is okay, sometimes I need a book to read right now, not five days from now. Or I want to browse. So I go into a bookstore.

And that pretty much means B&N. Of course, I either buy the book or get an e-book for my Nook -- rooted, yes, but I use the Nook software because I like it more than anything else...and I want to thank B&N for making such a nice tablet.

Might be a good time to buy a few shares of BKS.

devTitan

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I love apple products..Not so much a fan of it being tied to iTunes, but it's got it's good and bad like everything. I opted for the NC though when it came down to it to get my feet wet with Android OS. the price was great, I don't care about a camera, just want to fiddle around with some apps, read some eBooks, and have a good base for comparison. The NC fit my criteria perfectly & might just replace my triple booting Win7/Ubuntu/Mac OS HP Mini. So I'd say yeah, it's a serious competitor when a person serious looks at the features and understands what their goal is. A $245 16GB ( already had the card ) tablet versus a 800 64GB table was an easy purchase. I still have a 32GB iPhone on me at all times to cover what the NC can't do. Now that the Wifi tether has moved away from adhoc, it's the perfect combo.

Reactions: bullman2410

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure Apple isn't concerned about the number of Nook Color's sold. I would venture to say that only about 15% of the Nook Color's that were sold were bought by people who intend to use them as Android Tablets. The other 85% of people are ones who bought it to use as an ereader.

trojandrew

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I agree with lafountain on this. Apple will only start being concerned when someone finally comes out with a quality tablet (not just a rootable e-reader or a junker budget tablet) that has the stones to break that $499 barrier. I can't believe so many OEM's are trying to beat Apple at their own game at the same price Apple has set. They're letting Apple totally dictate this market, and they'll continue to destroy these Android tablets until they can provide a more compelling tablet specific software lineup or beat them in value.

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree that Apple really isn't concerned about the Nook Color since its really aimed at a completely different market and budget. 3 million Nook Colors sold is definitely a pain in Amazons neck concerning lost Kindle sales.