[GUIDE] How to Root Your Nook Color

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Will,

You probably should update the OP to explain to people that 1.2 has not been rooted yet and to not try these rooting steps until they are updated to allow the rooting of 1.2.

Scott

Reactions: jrgoodlett

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
followed all steps to root and now nc will not load past the nook loading screen need help plz

If you do a search on "Nook root stock restore" you'll probably run across the following threads:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/bar...5414-how-restore-nook-color-rooted-stock.html

OR (and possibly easier/better as it restores to 1.1)

http://forum.androidcentral.com/bar...turn-your-nook-color-1-1-0-stock-re-root.html

With the last link, you may not want to do the re-root part... or you might. However, do ALL of the steps and verify you get root before you try to load any apps.

IMO, starting with a clean system, while more work, is ALWAYS better because you just don't know what "stuff" is left over on your system (ANY system) that might mess things up down the road. Clean means no unexpected surprises.

Anyway, between the two threads above, you should be able to get your NC back to stock or rooted as you choose.

You might also want to peruse the following link for additional information and options:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/barnes-noble-nook-color/69732-how-all-things-root.html

Scott

numenetics

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Will,

You probably should update the OP to explain to people that 1.2 has not been rooted yet and to not try these rooting steps until they are updated to allow the rooting of 1.2.

Scott

I'll second that, as I just tried to use the instructions to root my 1.2 and had the same results as the previous poster.

seldondg

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Has there been anything to do an easy root on 1.2 yet?
I'm running CM7 but I like the longer battery life I had with the stock software.

seldondg

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the latest RC? If not upgrade to it. It improves battery by a ton!

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

You are right. I went with the latest daily build and my battery life is much longer. I'm sticking with CM7 now. I went from around a day or 2 of power to about a week.

w9awx

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm working on doing the change right now. Got past the part where I extra autoloader from the computer to the sd card. I've loaded the sd card and started the nook with the sd card loaded and the nook cord attached to the nook and the computer. It is showing the nook N on the screen and has the standard mobile technology by adobe systems on the bottom. How do I know when it is ready to disconnect the cable, remove the sd card, and restart the nook?

dtlogg

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I am about to buy a Nook Color from BN. Can I put CM7 on the internal memory if stock 1.3 is on the NC?

I am assumming when I register my NC that stock 1.3 will be updated on my NC.
There is a thread that says that you cannot root NC if stock 1.2 is on it. Does this mean you cannot put CM7 into the internal memory if the stock is with 1.2 or 1.3?

I know I can use a SD card to run CM7but what about internal? i am new this stuff and I do not understand some of the threads. It seems that people are putting CM7 into their NC with any stock rom anyway. How is this done?

Steve

sim1

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
As of this writing, you cannot root 1.3. There is a very easy way to root 1.2, called Manual Nooter, complete instructions found Here. I was very happy with Manual Nooter running stock NC, and I also had CM7 on an SD card.
Stock was my favorite though, I say was, because last night the 1.3 update hit me while I wasn't looking. It was like a mosquito bite, and now my root is gone. I still have all the apps that I had installed including a beautifully working Netflix, and Amazon App Store, but no Android Market. Needless to say none of my root based apps work. I can hardly wait till they root this puppy.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a refurbished NC at Buy.com for $169 and it had 1.2 on it. I rooted it last night and it is a nice little tablet. I don't need all the fancy stuff on the more expensive tablets. This is all I need.

dtlogg

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Does this mean that if I have stock 1.3 on my NC, I cannot have CM7 in Emcc?
When I register per the instructions in the 'root stock 1.2", won't the site try to put 1.3 on the NC? Or can I refuse the upgrade and stay in 1.2?

How are other people getting CM7 into Emcc with stock 1.3 other than running CM7 in their SD card?

Steve

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
As of this writing, you cannot root 1.3. There is a very easy way to root 1.2, called Manual Nooter, complete instructions found Here. I was very happy with Manual Nooter running stock NC, and I also had CM7 on an SD card.
Stock was my favorite though, I say was, because last night the 1.3 update hit me while I wasn't looking. It was like a mosquito bite, and now my root is gone. I still have all the apps that I had installed including a beautifully working Netflix, and Amazon App Store, but no Android Market. Needless to say none of my root based apps work. I can hardly wait till they root this puppy.

He asked if he can replace the stock ROM with CM7 on the eMMC. The answer is yes. It does not matter what stock version currently sits on the eMMC, He did not ask about rooting the stock ROM.

1trish

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
This makes no sense. Can you put this in english?
First, can you use a laptop instead of desk top?
Second,
"On a computer, download the sideload_update.zip from the BN web site."
Where is that?

Third, how do you.....
-Restore the /system directory to factory default

I thought these were directions... how about directions for your directions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tharika1234