Questions About Running Off SD Card Or Off Nook Color

popeye

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Newbie here. Finally got Deeper Blues version running with Google Apps & Market.
Guess there are two ways to run Honeycomg one is off the card and reader is intact and the other is flashing (if correct term) the HD on Nook. What are the actual names for both and is there a difference in running Honeycomb off the Color? Is one better than the other?
CM7 looks to be the most common-is this develpoers program available to run off the sdhc card like Deeper Blues? Hate to ask, but is the best choice?
Lastly looking for speed is the Sans Disc class 10 8gb the best card to use to get the best speed(SanDisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 Memory Card )?
Appreciated, thanks.
PSS-I have winimage on sdhc 8gb card running now. If I do get a better 8gb card-can I just copy it on to the new card?

Last edited:

ebphoto

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I just got the nook color a while ago and rooted it etc. I then rolled it back to stock because I couldn't get a few things running correctly and I was afraid I'd void the warranty. I checked the forums here and found these guys: RootNookColor.com - Root you're Nook Color Externally with microSD card!

They have a bunch of options to choose but I choose to have them burn a 16gb from SanDisk from my computer over the internet. I was leery of having someone take over my iMac remotely but they were very friendly and professional. They have CM7 and HC? to choose and I chose CM7 since I was familiar with it. Man, the thing is awesome now. It boots from the microSD card but gives options to boot into CM7 or regular nook. It runs great and if I have a problem I can just take out the card and boot normal without voiding the warranty. My only complaint now is screen size, I just wish it was a little bigger. Anyway, check out their website and ask them your questions also, they might be able to help. I know they have an option to buy a preprogramed microSD card and have it shipped to you or you could do what I did since I wanted more space to put music, pictures and other stuff on the card. Oh, I don't have anything to do with them. I just did this the other night and thought this would help a lot of people here that wanted options without burning the operating system into the memory of the NC. Also, my card is a regular microSD card not the extreme and the thing works great.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend running honeycomb at this time because the source code hasn't been released and probably never will. CM7 is the most stable. Internal memory is faster than SD card so you will have better performance from the internal memory.

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I rooted with CM7 + OC Kernel last week from a 2GB uSD. On the same SD I put the Stock 1.2 ROM so if I ever need to go back I can (and have a few times just to make sure). I had another 2GB uSD laying around so I formatted that an use it in the uSD slot while CM7 is running at 1GHz. Unless you can't live without the BN interface (can always get the BN App) rooting to the EMMC is the best way to go.

webyrd

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried HC on SD for a few days, then tried CM, CM seemed much more stable to me. I ran CM off SD for a few months before giving up on stock a little after 1.2 upgrade. I have noticed a slight performance increase running CM on EMMC, quadrant scores average about 15% better. The main thing I notice is that it seems more stable running off EMMC, less FC's, also quite a bit smoother.

popeye

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I rooted with CM7 + OC Kernel last week from a 2GB uSD. On the same SD I put the Stock 1.2 ROM so if I ever need to go back I can (and have a few times just to make sure). I had another 2GB uSD laying around so I formatted that an use it in the uSD slot while CM7 is running at 1GHz. Unless you can't live without the BN interface (can always get the BN App) rooting to the EMMC is the best way to go.

Interesting-Newbie so asking where I can get "easy" instructions on how to install and where to get downloads?
Appreciate the responses! Thanks.

popeye

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried HC on SD for a few days, then tried CM, CM seemed much more stable to me. I ran CM off SD for a few months before giving up on stock a little after 1.2 upgrade. I have noticed a slight performance increase running CM on EMMC, quadrant scores average about 15% better. The main thing I notice is that it seems more stable running off EMMC, less FC's, also quite a bit smoother.

What is EMMC? Thanks.

Chip1035#AC

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend running honeycomb at this time because the source code hasn't been released and probably never will. CM7 is the most stable. Internal memory is faster than SD card so you will have better performance from the internal memory.

I myself am a newbie and was successful with setting up Honeycomb off my 4gig SD card. Though I found it slow. My thoughs were exaxtly as mentioned in this post. Running off SD is slow compared to the internal memory.
But my question is this. If not Honeycomb, which other version or option is recommended? Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19