Rooted NT having trouble with B&N Store. Anyone else?

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else with a rooted Nook Tablet having troubles with the B&N Store?

I wanted to unlock the capabilites of my NT while still keeping it as stock as possible. I followed the instructions on the XDA Developers website and the how-to videos by Albert Wertz to root my NT. I also performed the hack to keep my NT from automatically updating and it now says I save software version 9.9.9. I didn't debloat so all of the default B&N stuff is still there. All went fairly well. Now I've run into a problem and I don't know if it's related to my rooting or some other issue. When on the default B&N home screen, in the B&N Store, I can't seem to download purchased items. I can download ebook samples to my heart's content but when I try to download an ebook that I've actually purchased, it just sits there saying download with a progress bar that doesn't progress until the download eventually times out and I get a download error screen.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is it possibly related to the fact that I rooted my NT? Can anyone else with a rooted NT confirm that they are able to download purchased items from the B&N Store?

Thanks.

- Byron

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like you are set up like I am, I don't have any trouble downloading books. I just tried downloading a few I purchased awhile ago and then purchased a new magazine and they all downloaded fine. Maybe it's your wireless connection since the samples would be a small file.

I use Overdrive all the time to borrow books from the library. Have you tried that? That may help determine if it is an issue with your B&N software or internet connection.

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you are set up like I am, I don't have any trouble downloading books. I just tried downloading a few I purchased awhile ago and then purchased a new magazine and they all downloaded fine. Maybe it's your wireless connection since the samples would be a small file.

I use Overdrive all the time to borrow books from the library. Have you tried that? That may help determine if it is an issue with your B&N software or internet connection.

I'll experiment a little this weekend, assuming it hasn't corrected itself by then.

Thanks for the advice.

- Byron

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's your wireless connection since the samples would be a small file.

That doesn't quite bear to further scrutiny. First of all, quite a few of the samples I looked at had embedded fonts and were 4 to 5 Mb each. Not exactly a small file, at least for an ebook. Also, I've been able to download quite a few larger apps. The problem seems to be only with purchased ebooks from the B&N store. Everything else is fine.

I think this weekend I may unroot, factory restore then try the root process over and check things out as soon as I'm done, before I start changing things or adding a ton of apps. Maybe then, assuming the problem ever returns, I'll be able to see what it was that changed just before the problem started.

If I'm able to get any details, I'll make sure to post back here in case anyone else ever has a similar issue.

- Byron

sangahm#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I rooted with the same options as you with the OTA block, and I'm able to shop and buy without problem. However I cannot use the Read In Store option while in the B&N store. That does seem broken.

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I rooted with the same options as you with the OTA block, and I'm able to shop and buy without problem. However I cannot use the Read In Store option while in the B&N store. That does seem broken.

I unrooted, restored and rerooted. I am now able to get books from the store again. I have no idea what the problem was before. Also, I am able to read-in-store. Again, I don't know why I am able to and most seem not to be. I think it has something to do with me not debloating and leaving my NT as close to stock as possible. I don't know what else may be a factor.

- Byron

sangahm#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I unrooted, restored and rerooted. I am now able to get books from the store again. I have no idea what the problem was before. Also, I am able to read-in-store. Again, I don't know why I am able to and most seem not to be. I think it has something to do with me not debloating and leaving my NT as close to stock as possible. I don't know what else may be a factor.

- Byron

How did you "unroot and restore"? Did you restore back using the 8 boot method or some other way?

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
How did you "unroot and restore"? Did you restore back using the 8 boot method or some other way?

There is a much easier method for performing a full restore than the 8 boot method. However, restoring before unrooting will leave you good and truly screwed and it can be hard to correct. You really need to unroot properly, then perform a full factory restore. Then your NT will be just like it was when it came from the box.

The best way to do this is to run the One Click Unroot app that does it all for you and starts the full restore process itself. You can find the details here:

[App]One Click Unroot[WIP] - xda-developers

- Byron

sangahm#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
There is a much easier method for performing a full restore than the 8 boot method. However, restoring before unrooting will leave you good and truly screwed and it can be hard to correct. You really need to unroot properly, then perform a full factory restore. Then your NT will be just like it was when it came from the box.

The best way to do this is to run the One Click Unroot app that does it all for you and starts the full restore process itself. You can find the details here:

[App]One Click Unroot[WIP] - xda-developers

Sorry, I wasn't looking for a process as I know how to do that. Thanks anyway.

I was interested how YOU did it, so I can see if that was a difference in our configurations.

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I wasn't looking for a process as I know how to do that. Thanks anyway.

I was interested how YOU did it, so I can see if that was a difference in our configurations.

OK, well, here's my procedure to perform a full factory restore. I don't know if there's any difference in what is done when I do this than with the 8 boot procedure but, assuming they do the same thing, this is sure a lot easier to perform!

Let me know what you think.

- Byron

Nook Tablet Full Factory Restore

Please follow the steps below to hard reset your NOOK Tablet. Please note that a hard reset de-registers your device as well as erases all local content such as contacts, sideloaded documents, personal information, 4 digit passcodes, etc. It is recommended that you backup any sideloaded material before continuing.

1. Hold the power button down for 10 seconds until the NOOK Tablet is powered off, ignoring the "Power off" prompt.
2. After Your NOOK Tablet is powered off, kindly press the home key and the power button until the "n" logo appears. Once the "n" logo appears, wait approximately 3 to 4 seconds, then release the power button while still holding the home key.
3. If successful, a grey NOOK Logo will appear and the screen will refresh momentarily and flash yellow. A prompt will appear asking if you would like to perform a ?Factory Reset,? Tap the "NOOK Home key" to confirm. Tap the"Home key" again to begin the process.
4. After a few minutes your device will reset and re-install all necessary software. Once completed, you will have to register the device again.

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so that is only a partial reset and doesn't do what the 8-boot method does (ie. it only deletes the /data portion rather than a full factory reset). I'll try that and see if it helps my situation for Reading InStore.

ref: NookColor/RestoreToStock - nookDevs

You mean my method only does a partial reset?

I'm not certain that's correct.

Using my method, I get a screen that pops up saying that it's doing a full factory reset and that all data on the nook will be lost. When turning it on for the first time after performing this, I'm greeted by the welcome to nook video and it looks just like it came out of the box.

What more does the 8 boot reset do?

Thanks.

- Byron

sangahm#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure all of what the differences are, but one big difference is that the 8 failed boot method takes you all the way back to *real* factory settings.

So, for example if you do the power+N method and you were updated to 1.4.1, you would still be left on 1.4.1 although your data will be gone (thus why you have to register again). With 8 failed boot, you would go to 1.4.0 (if that's what your nook was shipped with).

sangahm#AC

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I followed your method of "factory" reset, then re-rooted with Indirect's method, including OTA block. I did not debloat nor do the adb hijack yet. I also have not restored my apps. I checked in at the B&N store at lunch and the Read InStore option works fine.

I will now restore all my apps, and try RIS again. Then I will do the adb Hijack and check one more time.

So far, so good.

1/25 8:39pm Update
Restored all apps and went back to B&N store. In Store didn't immediately come up but after a reboot it came up. I then rebooted and it disappeared. After a few more reboots and restoring/removing the OTA option, it came back again. So bottom line is B&N is tempermental, but it does work. Next is to apply the ADB Hijack and check back tomorrow.

1/26 3:30p Update
Applied the ADB Root Hijack and went to the B&N store. This time RIS does work, however I had to reboot several times to see the InStore option. When I rebooted it was lost. Had to reboot again several times before it came back. So it does work but the B&N server must be very tempermental.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa