Do I have to fully drain then charge a new battery?

deadlock4400

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
A battery from Amazon for my AT&T's Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket>>>>

I bought a battery from Amazon for my AT&T's Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket. This batter has same looks as my original.
I used my old battery near 3 years. now the charge of my old battery getting drain faster. but in the amazon website i have seen there written

....."It is recommended to fully drain and fully charge the battery especially during the first 3 charging and discharging cycles, doing so may greatly improve the overall life of the battery"

Should i follow this procedure!! is that really proper!
is that procedure also compatible with Laptop battery ? Digital Camera battery?

Thanks in Advance

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: A battery from Amazon for my AT&T's Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket>>>>

Absolutely. If the battery is fresh (made within the last few weeks), it won't lose more than a few hours of total life doing that. If the battery has been sitting on a shelf for a few months or more, it's essential that you do it if you want the battery to last. (If you ever store the phone away, let the battery run down to about 40%, take it out of the phone and store them. If you start using the phone more than 3 months later, do the 3 full charge/discharge cycle again.)

And for maximum life, try to charge when the battery drops to no lower than 40%.

All of this holds true for lithium batteries, regardless of what they're used in. See Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries. (If you decide to read the whole course, we'll see you in about a week - and you'll be a battery expert.)