Why do I have a massive battery drain overnight?

sdanler

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Battery draining massively overnight

I have a Samsung Exhibit. I recently replaced the battery, and usually have normal battery life, and lasts through the day with no problem even with heavy use. Recently, though, it has started draining out at night, unless I put it on the charger. I have all the usual battery-saving things checked or un-checked. I checked the battery usage this morning (battery at 26%), and it is Cell standby 40%, and Phone idle, 26%. Those seem amazingly high - nothing else is even close.
Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this? I can, of course, simply put my phone on the charger every night, but I am worried there may be some malware at work.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery draining massively overnight

Make sure there are no tower outages in your area (check with your carrier). If you're connected to a tower much further away, it's going to take a lot more power to keep connected, draining a lot more battery power.

Has this happened only since an update? It could be a bad update.

BTW, you should never let the battery get that low. Plan on charging it at the 50% point, and when you have to you can let it drop as far as 40%. If that's not enough to last through the day, buy a spare battery and swap them when the one in the phone gets down below 50%.

sdanler

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Battery draining massively overnight

I never thought of tower outages. Since it has happened several times over several weeks, I doubt it, but thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it has to do with an update - there haven't been any recently. And normally, I don't let the battery get that low - as I said, it lasts through the day just fine, it is just at night, when I am NOT using it, that this happens. Very mystifying.