BBM for ALL : BlackBerry, iOS, Android Survey

dpw09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have created a quick survey as I have heard some mixed reviews about BBM for ALL speeds with other platforms.
I personally have not tested on anything other than BlackBerry, but its hard to convince friends and family to adopt BBM on other platforms if they keep hearing the rumours. So I put together this survey to see if I can shed some light. If it gets enough information, who knows, maybe BlackBerry will see it and react. Always worth a shot.

For anyone that has used BBM on the 3 platforms will have only 7 questions to answer. I still want people that have never used BBM to take the survey as well. They will have less questions. Please provide answers truthfully based on your OWN experience only. If you have tried on multiple devices YOURSELF, feel free to go through the survey multiple times.

I am posting this on CrackBerry, iMore, Android Central and WP Central as well. Feel free to share on FaceBook, Twitter, Email. Whatever, the more taking the survey, hopefully the better the results will be.
http://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wffe5R8vPzBhB_GcpQr7TRBTC8xNU-fOST-2Ca72XCs/viewform - fixed link

Last edited:

Mcwong

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
1. The Android persistent icon can disappear which I experienced twice over weekends and messages were not received, it goes missing when the device sleeps. Requires manual restart before the incoming messages are received. Then it becomes very stable from Sunday evenings and works like a charm the whole week. Can't explain except maybe due to server handshaking error.
2. BBM Android is a ram hog, on boot-up it uses about 20MB (on a Nexus 4) and increases up to 200MB. Many of my friends with older devices on 512MB have uninstalled as it lags and freezes the phone. At 200MB BBM uses almost half of the 512MB ram. Quite stable on my spare Samsung S2 with 768 MB ram. Lost a few contacts for this reason.
3. ringtone on IOS is not customizable and the default tone is inaudible and short. No reminder alerts and most times messages are not read until much later. Android version has customizable ringtone so no issue. Easy for iPhones to text me but not the reverse.
4. Contacts' display pics do not appear or the previous ones appear (some). Sometimes can take days to be updated. Some appeared after I uninstall and re-install. But this is not a show stopper, just a minor distraction.

I hope BlackBerry can fix these issues and reduce the app's appetite for RAM. Only point #1 & 2 are show stoppers. Overall, when connection is opened, messages are delivered in real time.

dpw09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
1. The Android persistent icon can disappear which I experienced twice over weekends and messages were not received, it goes missing when the device sleeps. Requires manual restart before the incoming messages are received. Then it becomes very stable from Sunday evenings and works like a charm the whole week. Can't explain except maybe due to server handshaking error.
2. BBM Android is a ram hog, on boot-up it uses about 20MB (on a Nexus 4) and increases up to 200MB. Many of my friends with older devices on 512MB have uninstalled as it lags and freezes the phone. At 200MB BBM uses almost half of the 512MB ram. Quite stable on my spare Samsung S2 with 768 MB ram. Lost a few contacts for this reason.
3. ringtone on IOS is not customizable and the default tone is inaudible and short. No reminder alerts and most times messages are not read until much later. Android version has customizable ringtone so no issue. Easy for iPhones to text me but not the reverse.
4. Contacts' display pics do not appear or the previous ones appear (some). Sometimes can take days to be updated. Some appeared after I uninstall and re-install. But this is not a show stopper, just a minor distraction.

I hope BlackBerry can fix these issues and reduce the app's appetite for RAM. Only point #1 & 2 are show stoppers. Overall, when connection is opened, messages are delivered in real time.

did you go through the survey and input this stuff? and please send the above survey link to your friends that removed the app. I am going to try to get BB to look at the survey results, not the forum posting... as this forum is in multiple locations and survey is the same across the board.
thanks

dpw09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Still looking for more survey responses. Pease take the 5 mintues. Share on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media. Share with anyone. Not just Droid users.

dpw09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Now that people have had a few weeks since Christmas with their new phones and tablets. I'm going to bump this thread to get some new people to take the 3 minute survey. Please be honest. Thank you