bionic is rooted, what to do next (to remove bloat)

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
to remove bloatware, youll have to pick up an app called root explorer from the market, navigate to system>app and delete or rename the bloat apps that you dont want. i would strongly encourage you to rename them (just change the file extension from .apk to .bak) instead of deleting them as youll likely be required to have your system app folder fully stock before accepting an OTA updates that come out. also, dont remove anything that is directly tied into the blur system, as it might cause the phone to act up as well (or if you rename an app that causes your phone to act wierd, put it back on the phone).

another option is to use titanium backup pro to freeze unwanted bloatware apps; this way you can quickly unfreeze them if you need them

idefiler6

Banned
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Alternatively you can get Titanium Backup from the market and just freeze the bloat apps. They won't show up anywhere such as the app drawer but aren't permanently deleted either, you can get them back at any time. You're not going to be using that memory that's set aside for system for anything else at this point anyway.

dirtbiker0025

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
wouldn't the ota update just return the apps anyway? i was always under the impression that ota just overwrite system data that's needed for the update. i doubt city id is needed

herbz

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Alternatively you can get Titanium Backup from the market and just freeze the bloat apps. They won't show up anywhere such as the app drawer but aren't permanently deleted either, you can get them back at any time. You're not going to be using that memory that's set aside for system for anything else at this point anyway.

awesome that's what i ended up doing...now hoping the bootloader gets unlocked and i can install some roms to get rid of this motoblur....thanks y'all...

TrivialTweeter

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I used an app called Bloat Freezer. It's only $0.99 right now in the market. It gives you the same ability to freeze bloatware apps like Titanium Backup Pro does, but at a much cheaper price. $0.99 vs. $6.41

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I havent deleted no bloat just root running lpp used both TB and Backup to restore and every time it goes into bootloop hell. Ive done wipe after wipe still messed up. Amy clue why?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It goes into the bootloop of hell after you try to restore? Honestly, you will waste less time just starting fresh than trying to troubleshoot backup program issues. If you're determined to use one, try just restoring apps that you personally installed first. Then go from there.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Yep just bootloops. If this was like my bb i can just plug my phone in and restore. Android lacks. Trying to remember free apps and then readd them is pia. By the way did get one

isvendk

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to rename using Root Explorer but I get an error saying the files are read-only. I used the MotorolaOneClickRoot. What am i missing?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty