Warning - don't do any Moto updates - will lose Root

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
DHacker from Rootzwiki just tweeted:

DH just tweeted not to take any moto updates because the root path has been patched...

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's not really "news" it first showed up in 5.7.894, a script that's detecting the foreverroot hack and giving trouble if you have it.

If anyone is concerned, the standard advice I believe would be to just not install any official updates, whenever they get around to releasing them, and waiting for the dev community to figure out a way to give your rooted phone all the benefits of the update, as they do now.

For me, as much as I love the bionic's hardware, im gonna start planning/saving to grab the nexus because I want a dev friendly phone. It's a shame because I'm a huge fan of moto but after a few months on android I understand how critical it is to have something devs will be working on.. For me at least. To each his own.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's not really "news" it first showed up in 5.7.894, a script that's detecting the foreverroot hack and giving trouble if you have it.

If anyone is concerned, the standard advice I believe would be to just not install any official updates, whenever they get around to releasing them, and waiting for the dev community to figure out a way to give your rooted phone all the benefits of the update, as they do now.

For me, as much as I love the bionic's hardware, im gonna start planning/saving to grab the nexus because I want a dev friendly phone. It's a shame because I'm a huge fan of moto but after a few months on android I understand how critical it is to have something devs will be working on.. For me at least. To each his own.

Just stick with custom ROMs dude. That's how I'm dealing with Motorola's crap. I want to keep my phone because the hardware and build quality is so much better than anyone else (well, maybe excluding HTC, but I personally don't like HTC phones too much)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just stick with custom ROMs dude. That's how I'm dealing with Motorola's crap. I want to keep my phone because the hardware and build quality is so much better than anyone else (well, maybe excluding HTC, but I personally don't like HTC phones too much)

Oh for sure I agree... but I'm really itching to try out ICS, plus it just seems like so much more is going to be able to be done with the G-nex dev-wise. Its not an easy call, believe me.. I think the build quality of the bionic is outstanding and moto's build and radios, call quality, etc are not going to be topped by the nexus. I'm aware of that. But I'm just really hooked into the dev scene and dying to see what kind of stuff can be cooked up on a completely unlocked phone. Obviously I'll wait a bit and see how reviews are for the US version of the nexus, and I'll want to see what it looks like devs will be doing... There's a lot of factors. Quality is important. Plus coming up with a great reason to shell out the full retail price of the nexus will not be easy on my budget, lol.

Reactions: modmyphone

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Dude, you can't leave me!!!! Seems like it's you and me and KillerG around here lately and that's it...:'(

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Dude, you can't leave me!!!! Seems like it's you and me and KillerG around here lately and that's it...:'(

Haha My loyalty lies with the next best android thing (and maybe also with DT and DH).... But like I said it won't be so soon that I'll be ready to abandon my bionic (or could afford to) anyway :)

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Nothing is forever... lol

Sent from my [P]URIFI3D Droid Bionic

Works this way with all phones. Updating while rooted might even brick you. Run a custom ROM or a cleaned up version of the official to avoid.

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
This turned out to not be exactly accurate. I did unfreeze all apps and unroot just in case, but read in other places where the forever root worked with the OTA .893 update. I was able to root again using this one click method: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12050927/1-click_exploit.zip

Cheers!!!

You were able to root with the new update with this method? Thanks. My wife is itching to install the ota and I want to make sure I can root her still after it is applied, she will still be completely stock.

That is what you said after re-reading however i want to be sure hehe. :)

Thanks!

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
You were able to root with the new update with this method? Thanks. My wife is itching to install the ota and I want to make sure I can root her still after it is applied, she will still be completely stock.

That is what you said after re-reading however i want to be sure hehe. :)

Thanks!

Oh and does this wipe data?

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

sglitwin

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
To late for me. I did the foreveroot hack and did the ota and have now lost root. Mt wifi hotspot still works but that is it. Help, can I reroot or will that cause more problems?

JStrider

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
so my neighbor was checking out my phone and started the update download on my rooted phone.... so I figured what the hell and quick did forever root and unfroze my apps.

applied the download.

and it appears I still have root... have been able to browse around in root explorer and refreeze stuff in Titanium backup.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
so my neighbor was checking out my phone and started the update download on my rooted phone.... so I figured what the hell and quick did forever root and unfroze my apps.

applied the download.

and it appears I still have root... have been able to browse around in root explorer and refreeze stuff in Titanium backup.

Happy for you... it sounds like its hit or miss with people on whether the OTA is breaking there root. I'm curious, when you applied the foreverroot did you do it on your own, i.e. add the:
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

to your mount_ext3.sh file on your own? Or did you use the Releasedroot tool to do it?

For anyone else who recently applied the update, would you mind commenting on whether or not you lost root and whether or not you added foreverroot on your own or used the tool to add it for you? Just collating data to try and help out people going forward and I have a hunch this variable might be key..

moonshiner420

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I used the for3ver root method and used the cmd line tool to root my bionic. After it was finished I applied the ota update and I'm happy to say that it is still rooted. Also as an FYI I had never applied any leaked updates or flashed any ROM's before this.

BTW my 3g/4g signal is better, camera is quicker to access and use and my battery life is significantly better...I'm sure the ota update and the freezing of verizons bloatware helped that last one out.;)