Stock to OTA manually

juergen99

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
My Bionic is stock but rooted and forever rooted. I keep checking for the OTA but always get the "Check for update is not available at this time". I read in a Moto forum that if you swap SIM cards for any reason you may not be able to get OTAs (unless you do a factory reset). I exchanged my first Bionic (after it died) and had to get a new SIM card. Is there any reason I can't manually download an OTA file and update manually? I ask because there are alot of people that have downloaded 'leaked' updates and are having problems. I really don't want to do a factory reset.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever download a leaked update? If no, then that doesn't apply. If you had to exchange for a new Bionic then you never "swapped" a sim card, you got a new phone with a new sim card, so that doesn't apply. You probably just don't have it available yet. Moto/VZW is pushing it out in batches right now, one person noted that its supposed to be something like a couple thousand phones get it pushed per batch. Wait a few more days and keep checking.

juergen99

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Actually I did swap SIM cards. Normally you shouldn't have to when you swap phones. In my case I brought my dead phone to the VZW store on a friday. They made the order for a replacement to be over-nighted to me. Since it was a Friday, I wouldn't get the phone till Monday so I switched to my X for the weekend. When I got the phone on Monday it would not activate. It turns out that if you switch from a 4G plan to a 3G plan then back, it voids the SIM in the VZW system and you have to get a new one. It was a learning experience for the staff at the store and myself.

I can certainly wait for my turn in the OTA process but it may never happen :( . I have rooted and rommed with my OG and X in the past but for some reason I'm being extra cautious this time. I guess my question is, if I download a copy of an OTA update and do a manual update, isn't that the same as accepting an OTA? (when the phone is stock except for being rooted)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh I gotcha now, better explanation lol. I really think it's just a matter of time, but if you're concerned because of that sim card issue, I would just head to the vz store, explain the whole thing to them and see what they say or can do for you. There's only so much some forum speculators like myself can guess at :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo