Any signal strength issues here?

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm seriously considering this phone and in doing my homework on it I'm seeing a lot of reports of poor signal strength, very short battery life, and high heat. I assume these are all related. Any of you in this forum who have the phone seeing any of this? I will say, the demo unit at AT&T only had one bar but the other phones I looked at also had a poor signal as well. Great idea to locate an AT&T store where there's no AT&T signal ;-)
Also, the demo unit was so hot it bordered on being uncomfortable to hold. The signal strength reports are concerning me but other than that I really liked what I saw.

Frosty_Power

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Not seeing any of these issues. A thread on Crackberry dismissed the antenna issue. Someone tested it beside his Passport. Bars were shown lower but signal strength on an app were showing the same.

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I stopped by another AT&T store (which also had a poor AT&T signal, go figure) and checked actual signal strength numbers in settings. The Priv was about 4db better than the Samsungs sitting next to it and a tick better than the LG G4. I've finally seen a thread on Crackberry with decent screen on times, as before I was reading about people saying they were only getting a few hours total out of their batteries. Good to see it's possible to get 5-6hrs sot. I'd be coming from a Droid Turbo where 7hrs sot is possible so battery is near the top of my list.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The signal strength looks low but I have great reception. My wife said I sound so clear and knew I had bought a new phone. I've had 0 issues

Priv screen goes up.

CarGuy1368

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I've had zero issues with signal strength or battery. The phone does get a little warm occasionally though, but I think this could be fixed in a future update.

Posted via the BlackBerry Venice

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I am on att and picked up the Priv launch day and so far great reception no issues at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

adrenaline_x

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I see that my signal strength at home is on bar vs two on my passport. But to my surprise iwas able to walk around my house on a phone call yesterday and haven't been able to do that since I moved into our house a year ao. I would cut out or drop the call. I was very impressed. Phone quality was great.

The low signal strength might be why my battery drains faster then when I'm at work but I will take that over not being able to make calls from home

guygardner73

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same thing here, two-three bars on Passport and one on Priv. However, the Priv is performing solidly on it's one bar. Even better than the Passport's two bars. My guess is that the signal strength meter (bars) are not accurate on the Priv. I even made a crystal clear call on zero bars. Something for BlackBerry to look at.

lonestar1135

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I have an issue where if I leave my house and forget to turn WiFi off, and I turn it off 10min after i leave my house, my Priv donest recognize the cell network and says i have no internet connection and i have to reset my phone

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I had a few heat and battery issues the first couple of days that were making me nervous. However since then everything has been perfect. Got just under 5 hours screen on time yesterday, and I don't try to conserve battery. I never turn anything off, because I want my smartphone to be smart. I think a lot of the issues are simply downloading apps and getting everything set up and synced and letting the OS get settled.

guygardner73

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I had a few heat and battery issues the first couple of days that were making me nervous. However since then everything has been perfect. Got just under 5 hours screen on time yesterday, and I don't try to conserve battery. I never turn anything off, because I want my smartphone to be smart. I think a lot of the issues are simply downloading apps and getting everything set up and synced and letting the OS get settled.

Yeah, I agree. It seems to need a few days to settle too.

H0g4n

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The Priv's LTE signal strength appears to be around average compared to most phones I've owned but the Nexus 6P beats it:

Nexus 6P: -96 dBm 44 asu
Priv: -105 dBm 35 asu

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had a few games and the NFL Mobile app cause some heating issues. It goes up to 153 degrees. But the battery life is pretty good, I get about 8-9 hours out of close to heavy use with the screen set at about 70%.

christenmartin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Signal strength is good. My house seems to be in a dead spot as I would have a lot of dropped calls from home. Haven't had any with the priv. Battery life is real good. With moderate use I can get almost 2 days. I do get some heat when playing some games not all. I don't know if they didn't load right, haven't experimented with that.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
The PRIV has the 808 Snapdragon chipset. the overheating is a well know issue with any phone that has the 808 chipset.

midnightdoom

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't know how to check the actual signal strength in dB, but my Priv compared to my z30 seems to be worse going by bars here on Rogers in Canada. My boyfriend has a Priv on Wind and it actually get better signal than mine.

I have exchanged the phone once already and it wasn't any different. Formatted my phone like Rogers wanted me to and no different, next steps would be a new SIM.

But judging by people saying in dB they are getting the same or better but the bars still show lower just makes me thing it's a software issue in the display.. I remember iPhone had an issue like this year's ago when I had 4s.. It wasn't that the signal was bad it just wasn't corresponding with the bars..

And in Canada it seems it's mostly Rogers people complaining, so it was probably something they did on their end, but it makes me wonder how much better my battery would be if I was getting full bars all the time instead of jumping LTE to 4G all the time

bfergi

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a Priv and have been totally disappointed with the signal strength...Classic was much better in the same areas, What gives????

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo