Anyone returning their Priv yet?

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I have had mine for about a week. I really want to like this phone but there are just a couple things keeping me from being sure this phone is for me.

My issues are:

1. Phone still gets hot several days later after setup. My Note 5 and moto x never got hot.
2. Battery life is not great and is not better than my Note even though the Priv battery is bigger.
3. Both cameras are not as good as other top phones and the front camera is just terrible..

Anyone else having the same reservations?

Posted via the Android Central App

christenmartin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Mine got hot a couple of times loading apps. At this time the battery life was not the best. This is something I have experienced with about every smart phone I have owned. After the software loaded and calmed down (1-2 days) battery is real good. I've compared the camera to other flagship phones and it holds its own. The ffc is alright, it's a front facing camera.

Trisk333

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm definitely not returning mine. As a whole, I'm quite pleased. I honestly think this is the nicest android phone I've owned to date. I have not had issues with heating, battery life, or build qualities though if I had to nitpick, I suppose the tactical feedback of my bottom row of keys could be a little more pronounced and especially the 0 key.

I think the pkb long press shortcuts are great but it would have been nice to have seen the ability to dig deeper into the settings menu to create a shortcut. Being able to set a key for a quick toggle off/on for the keyboard gestures would have been really useful.

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Mine got hot a couple of times loading apps. At this time the battery life was not the best. This is something I have experienced with about every smart phone I have owned. After the software loaded and calmed down (1-2 days) battery is real good. I've compared the camera to other flagship phones and it holds its own. The ffc is alright, it's a front facing camera.

I have several other phones and I can say for certain the camera is not comparable.

The rear camera can take good pictures but not the front. The rear only takes 4:3 photos and is not good in any light other than outdoors or similar lighting.

As for getting hot. I have had it for about a week. More than enough time for it to cool down. No other smartphone I have owned in recent years has remained hot more than an hour of two.

All this to say. I have high expectations for the Priv 2

christenmartin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I have several other phones and I can say for certain the camera is not comparable.

The rear camera can take good pictures but not the front. The rear only takes 4:3 photos and is not good in any light other than outdoors or similar lighting.

As for getting hot. I have had it for about a week. More than enough time for it to cool down. No other smartphone I have owned in recent years has remained hot more than an hour of two.

All this to say. I have high expectations for the Priv 2

OK then. Priv 2 it is.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Solving the heat issue will most likely fix the poor battery life. As hot as some are reporting their Priv's get it's no wonder the battery's taking such a massive hit.. That huge battery should go all day and beyond.
Was considering getting one of these when Verizon picks it up, going to wait and see now.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have had mine for about a week. I really want to like this phone but there are just a couple things keeping me from being sure this phone is for me.

My issues are:

1. Phone still gets hot several days later after setup. My Note 5 and moto x never got hot.
2. Battery life is not great and is not better than my Note even though the Priv battery is bigger.
3. Both cameras are not as good as other top phones and the front camera is just terrible..

Anyone else having the same reservations?

No. I'm not returning mine. Right now my battery is at 56% with 2 1/2 hours SOT. My phone doesn't get hot anymore. It only gets really hot when I install a bunch of apps.

The only complaint I have is the front facing camera. But I don't take selfies anyways so I don't care about it.

Posted from the BlackBerry Priv via the Android Central app

christenmartin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
No. I'm not returning mine. Right now my battery is at 56% with 2 1/2 hours SOT. My phone doesn't get hot anymore. It only gets really hot when I install a bunch of apps.

The only complaint I have is the front facing camera. But I don't take selfies anyways so I don't care about it.

Posted from the BlackBerry Priv via the Android Central app

Ya you can look at about any forum for smart phones and there's several about heat issues on new phones.

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I almost returned mine. There are a few things from my Moto X(2014) that I miss. The biggest ones are the active display, twist to open the camera and the Motorola camera app. I am occasionally getting and unacceptable lag that causes me to have to reboot the phone. Also the battery life is not great and even as a past Crackberry addict I don't use a lot of the BlackBerry features.

In the end, however, I decided to keep it. I LOVE the high res screen. I am getting faster with the physical keyboard, like I was on my old Torch. I'm also starting to really like the touch sensitive keys and being able to scroll and swipe them. I also like seeing the full screen when I use the keyboard. The BlackBerry online keyboard is the best touch screen keyboard I have every used (and I have tried them all). I like the look of the curved glass screen and I even like the BlackBerry logo at the top of the screen. I like the front facing speaker and the high quality of the camera pictures, even if I don't like the camera app.

No phone is perfect so at the end of the day, I decided the Priv had more things I liked than didn't so I'll keep it and use it as my daily driver.

RJMullins

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I am a Note 5 (2,3,4 before that) user, and have used Windows devices (most flavors), as well as many different BlackBerry phones. I still have friends emailing news about BlackBerry because I was such a fan of their devices. For the week of Thanksgiving I tried out the Priv, here is my feedback:

1 – I was/am too used to the Samsung Android and was lost for a few hours in the BB Android, there were many things included on Samsung (default email app) that were not on the Priv.
2 – I loved the screen!
3 – I liked the pkb, however; I have been away from it long enough that I wasn’t as fluent with it as I was in the past (by the end of the week I was getting much better though).
4 – I had the Priv, my wife’s Note Edge, daughters S6 and other daughter iPhone 6S side by side and the signal strength on the Priv was better than all the others (all on AT&T in the NW suburbs of Minneapolis).
5 – Had issues with push mail not getting to the phone when it was inactive for a period (e.g. >5 mins). I had to open the email apps (I used Outlook) or the BB Hub to have email received. The same email was being pushed to my TabS and Note 5 when it was also inactive (wifi only since the Priv had my sim card installed). I also use Outlook on my Samsung tablets so I know it isn’t an issue with the app.
6 – I liked the security options (need to enter the PIN before the OS will start).
7 – We could not get the Priv to work on our MDM software at work without a lot of configuration, and since I only had it for a week I didn’t want my team to do the work.

Summary, I loved the phone, I hope the push email issue I had isn’t prevalent in all the devices, that would be a problem, and so unlike BlackBerry since they usually excelled at that type of service. I have returned to my Note 5, which also has issues (the default app auto setting is a huge PITA), every phone has issues, it’s a fact of technology.

After Christmas I may give the new Windows 10 phone a spin to see how/if it’s gotten better than the Windows 8.1 devices (the HTC One I had was the worst POS).

These are just my thoughts, based on my experiences.

- Bob

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
FYI I have a shop blackberry version and downloaded the update. Almost all the complaints I had were similar to what you guys are saying. After the update my battery life is insane, I've lost 20% the whole day and I would usually lose 50%. And it doesn't get hot anymore. Plus the camera is absolutely amazing now, trust me when you get the update you will see.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I know they're there. I just haven't experienced the heat issues once I installed all 70-something of my apps at the same time.

I especially notice heating issues running any app that uses location/GPS and any other app, like GMaps and Pocketcasts which is something I do a lot. GNote 4 nor Nexus 6 had this much notable heat.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I returned mine for battery life and camera quality. Hopefully the new updates fix the issues and I would buy again. No reason for a poor camera on a phone in today's market.

Trisk333

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I returned mine for battery life and camera quality. Hopefully the new updates fix the issues and I would buy again. No reason for a poor camera on a phone in today's market.

The camera is much better in low light now since the update yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith