Starting to miss my BLACKBERRY-- anyone in the same boat?

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I miss the insulting forum community, battery pulls, ancient OS, battery pulls, terrible app selection, slow browser and outdated UI the most

iJason#WN

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Yea I'm slowly starting to miss my Tour more and more. It was an outdated OS but once it gets 5.0 it will be more modern. I might go back I'm not sure yet.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Keep in mind, not defending, but the CrackBerry forums are HUGE. There are over 2million members, with a community so large, there are going to be bad apples. The bad apples will bring out more of them and so on. Some will think its just cool to do, and continue.

If you see past all of that, and dont get tied up in it and take it for what it is, information, then its not too big of a deal. I was an active part of the CrackBerry forums for 2+ years, and personally had like 2 or 3 negative interactions, then realized its the internet, got over it and moved on.

Unfortunately there will ALWAYS be those internet tough guys, just gotta learn to avoid them and not let them get to you.

jeffnucci

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I miss both my iPhone and my BlackBerry. My DROID is good at everything but isn't insanely good at anything. My iPhone kicked butt in ease of use and multimedia. BlackBerry is still hands down, the best email and messaging phone on the market. I miss all of them.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I miss both my iPhone and my BlackBerry. My DROID is good at everything but isn't insanely good at anything. My iPhone kicked butt in ease of use and multimedia. BlackBerry is still hands down, the best email and messaging phone on the market. I miss all of them.

I agree with you, but with some caveats.

For sure the iPhone is the top multimedia/music/movie phone. You can even rent and watch movies right on the phone. In fact, I still have a 32GB 3GS because of things like that (though it sees very little use at present).

I miss the BlackBerry's integration with my work email. Currently, I have my work email redirected to Gmail so I get it on my Droid, but don't have access to the corporate directory.

Both, however, have fatal flaws that prevent me from making them my primary device. The iPhone of course only runs on AT&T, and for me that's a big problem -- no service where I work. Zero. Oh, outside it's fine. But inside the building at work, there's nothing. Zip. Nada. But even outdoors, the iPhone still drops 1 in 4 calls. T-Mobile isn't any better with its in-structure signal penetration, so no N1 for me. Sprint is OK, but no phones I'd be interested in. And using the Droid has impressed me with its ability to run background apps like Locale. Can't do that on the iPhone.

For the BlackBerry, its inability to do properly anything HTML-based was the killer. Websites, email... I mean really. Sure, RIM will eventually have a webkit browser. "Eventually" isn't soon enough, sorry. And who knows if that ability will make its way to the email reader; they haven't said AFAIK. And the media players on the BB are a mere afterthought, barely functional and horribly ugly. It's a business phone after all (despite their recent consumer marketing push). And eye-candy or not, the UI is right out of the Windows 95 playbook.

So, while the Droid may not be as graceful, at least it can do virtually everything the others cannot. Since there is still no perfect phone, I think the Droid is as close as it'll get for a while - at least until there's a multitasking iPhone running on Verizon with an unrestricted app store (yeah, right).

As it turns out, the Droid is living up to its marketing tagline - Droid does.

iJason#WN

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
So I've decided to jump the Android boat and go back to BlackBerry. I got my Droid in Nov what do you think the chances are that Verizon will offer me some kind of discount like 1 year pricing when I get my BlackBerry?

BoNg420

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I don't miss my storm one bit!

I do miss the ability to use my fingers to highlight and copy and paste, but that's about it. It sucks I can't do this in droids emails and on web pages.

I love android OS and I will never buy a BB again. They keep recycling the same OS anyway, just upgrade graphical looks, etc.

Last edited:

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I switched to the Droid from my storm is that after the 5.0 official update, no matter what apps I did get rid of..I constantly had NO memory..it was such a buzz kill. I went from having to do a batt pull once a day to 3-4 times a day.

DeeMat

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't miss my storm one bit!

I do miss the ability to use my fingers to highlight and copy and paste, but that's about it. It sucks I can't do this in droids emails and on web pages.

I love android OS and I will never buy a BB again. They keep recycling the same OS anyway, just upgrade graphical looks, etc.

Yah, the way Android implemented copy and paste is not that great. At least so many other things make the overall experience better over BB.

primodroid

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
The things I miss from my blackberry Storm1 is the ability to have different e-mail notification sounds for my friends and NOT GETTING false alarm notification sounds for my e-mail!!!

JDub313

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Just got my Droid on Saturday. WOW. Coming from a Storm 1 - what a difference. You can't really appreciate the Droid until you have it in your hands for a few days. I was afraid to change - I had played with the Droid in a Verizon store for a few minutes and hated the keyboard so much that I wrote it off. I waited and tried the Palm Pre Plus - killer interface, but talk about a small keyboard (and a small screen) and even thought about a Winmo phone. I had finally decided to wait for the N1, but after browsing around this forum, I decided to take a shot on the Droid.

All I can say is this thing blows the Storm so far out of the water that it's like comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo. Still don't love the keyboard, but I'll use the on screen one, and the hard keyboard only when filling out forms - where having the whole screen visible is nice.

pashan

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been a HUGE BlackBerry fan-girl for the past 5 years. My family about croaked when I went Android... but I'm so glad I did!! I have gotten used to the keyboard and can type pretty quickly now (I was SUPER fast on my Curve). I host my own email at 123Together.com and just added ActiveSync so I get my emails pushed - just as quick as my 'berry! :)

... but the CrackBerry forums are HUGE. There are over 2million members, ... I was an active part of the CrackBerry forums for 2+ years, and personally had like 2 or 3 negative interactions, then realized its the internet, got over it and moved on

I was extremely active at CB too, but my participation dropped when the introduced the Storm. "Pre-Storm" the forum was awesome!! I had great interaction with the folks there and learned SO MUCH!

Fat Fingers

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I am an ex BB user (World 8830) and struggling like heck with the Droid Keyboards. While I am sure I will get better with time, the one lacking feature I cannot imagine ever getting past is arrows for cursor control on the touch screen keyboard. Neither the stock keyboard nor any 3rd party apps/widgets have arrows for cursor control. Using the tap method is impossible to get the cursor where I want it when I have to go back to correct typos. W/ my BB world, this was simple with the track ball.

Anyone have suggestions for me?