The Road to the S24 Ultra: The Evolution of Mobile Phones I've Had Over the Years.

Mkeditor

May 2, 2016
Visit site
my old phones 2024.jpg
First I had pagers (Yeah, I'm old). My first phones only made calls. Those were Motorola's. The next advancement was games. It was novel playing "snake" on my Nokia. Blackberry brought us email. I never had one, but it was a huge step forward. Windows Mobile OS brought forth the smart phone. It was funky and clunky but I could use email, word docs, tasks, play music and other basic functions. The Palm Trio had a dedicated keyboard due to the advent of text messages. This had a bad effect on the market. Phones started sacrificing screen size for keyboards. This was a move in the wrong direction. But Apple changed the game with the iphone. No keyboard. Max screen. I bought one...but returned it 48 hours later (a story for another time). Then one day a guy at a T-Mobile kiosk in a mall showed me the first Android phone: The G1. I was excited and almost got one. The only reason I didn't was because it had a keyboard...but I felt the OS was the right direction and had a lot of potential. I made the jump to Android with the 2nd offering: The MyTouch. It's the metallic red one with a track ball. Finally a legit competitor for the iphone. When Google released the Nexus One, I bit on the hook. You couldn't see one in person. They weren't in stores. You had to just buy it. I stuck with the Nexus line until the Nexus 6. It was massive. It's still bigger than my S24 Ultra. The speakers were great, but a lot about that phone sucked. Especially the camera. It was awful. I switched to the Samsung S6+ and I was in love. It was a fabulous one. It blew the Nexus away. I've been a Samsung user ever since. I upgraded every year, but I stopped with the S10+ (another amazing phone). The S20 had a significantly higher price but ditched the headphone jack and MST. I spent a lot of time in a store comparing the camera and other features to my S10+. I concluded it wasn't worth it to switch. But the S24 Ultra was the phone that got me to make the move. There's finally enough bait on the hook. I really like it and I plan on keeping it for a very long time. But now I'm preaching to the choir.

Attachments

• my old phones.jpg
    my old phones.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

missy8787

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Wow that’s a lot of phones I’ve had just as many if not more lol I’ve had the flip phones and I even had the lg chocolate loved that phone the first phone I had without a keyboard would have been the Optimus I think it was called? And then from there iPhone 4 plus iPhone 5c then iPhone 6 Plus and then all my Samsungs and lgs I’ve had up the the s20 and also have had up to the note 5 and then back to iPhone 13 Pro but I’m not looking at getting the s24 ultra I miss having the spen and miss Samsung lol

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
1999-2000 Errickson
2000-2001 Nokia (while in Korea)
2001-2002 Errickson
2002-2006 Sanyo SCP-5300
2006-2008 Palm Treo 650
2008-2009 Blackberry Curve 8310
2009-2010 Blackberry Storm II
2010-2011 Samsung Galaxy S "Fascinate"
2011-2012 Samsung Galaxy Nexus
2012-2013 Samsung Galaxy Note II
2013-2014 Nokia Lumia 928
2014-2016 Nokia Lumia Icon (aka 929)
2016-2016 HTC One M9
2016-2018 iPhone 6s Plus
2018-2020 Samsung Galaxy S8+/Note 8
2020-2022 Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
2022-2024 Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
2024-Present Samsung Galaxy 24 Ultra (unlocked)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh yeah I like these types of Threads, I'll list what I had over the years then I'll come back with list I currently have even non working pictures

iPhone:
3/4/5/6/7/8/10/11/12/13/14

Samsung:
S series
S3/S4/S5/S6/S7/S8/S9/S10/
S4 made it Google Play edition
NOTES:
2/3/4/8/9/10/20

S series that became a Note:
S22U/S23u/s24U
Fold 3/4/5
Flip 4

Google:
Nexus 5x
Nexus 6p
Pixel
Pixel Fold

HTC
M8 made to Google Play edition

One plus
5/6/7/7pro T McLaren edition 5g

Flip phones were like the ones that were around had plenty, beeper (pagers)

Even used one of these collect calls also
22445772353933bf3820160780d60a04.jpg

Last edited:

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I didn't join the mobile phone craze until late 2004, and first had some Virgin Mobile Prepaid phone, a Kyocera, I think, then a Samsung VGA-1000 (SPH-A620), a Sanyo Katana, and then my first smartphone, a BlackBerry Curve 8330, a BlackBerry Tour 9630, and a BlackBerry Style 9670, then MLB stopped supporting BlackBerry, and I switched to Android with the Motorola Photon just a few weeks before Sprint decided that WiMax was doomed to failure.

I rolled my eyes, then added two lines, and we gave our Photons to the boys, and upgraded to the Samsung S3, then S4, Note 5, S8+, Note 9, Samsung J2 Core, Note 20, S22 Ultra, and now I'm on the S24 Ultra, which is my 16th phone in under 20 years. I still use the Note 9 as a media device at the house.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah I like these types of Threads, I'll list what I had over the years then I'll come back with list I currently have even non working pictures

iPhone:

Samsung:
S series
NOTES:
2/3/4/8/9/10/20

S22U/S23u/S24U

Google:
Nexus 5x
Nexus 6p
Pixel

HTC

One plus

Face it, you a phone ho. 😉🤣

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

iPhone:

Samsung:
S series
NOTES:
2/3/4/8/9/10/20

S22U/S23u/S24U

Google:
Nexus 5x
Nexus 6p
Pixel

HTC

One plus

you need help 🙏😂

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Never mind. I'll play. One of the reasons why I keep upgrading is because I get bored, where after 4-6 months I'm done. It's rare but the other is, if I somehow drop my phones even if the damage is barely noticeable, I'll sell it!

*I have to Google the models to go back to what I bought.

"Dummy" Phones. I can't go that far back. I do remember I was a fan of Sony Ericsson phones. Motorola, Nokia. They were all PayGo plans.

I got into contracts and Smart phones in 2009. I can't remember why I got into BlackBerry but the Bold 9000 was my first and loved it. I became a CrackBerry user.

Curve, Torch, Q5, Z10 was last one.

hTc One M7. I bought this TWICE. Very rare for me to buy it again once I sell it. IMO this is the BEST phone ever made.

I can't remember if I bought the M8, I think I did but it was so disappointing. Nexus 6P.

Desire HD, Google Nexus One, EVO 3D. I had more but can't remember.

LG. G2, G3 (twice), G4, G5. G6, Nexus 5, V20, V30. Velvet, G7One.

Sony. Experia Z, Z1. I know I bought more from Sony.

OnePlus. Currently own the 11 5G Emerald Green.

7 Pro (Second favourite of all-time!), 3, 3T, This is again spotty.

Google. I went crazy here with the 7/Pro. I had two of each at one point.

6 Pro (IMO the worst phone of all-time). A lemon and even worse Google refused to help.

I had the Pixel, regretted it. I know I skipped 2 but not sure if I got the 3-5.

Apple. I just list what I skipped. LOL. 1, 2, X and 15.

Samsung. Currently own the S24 Ultra in Titanium Yellow 512GB.

I'm such an addict I bought the ATIV S, Windows phone. LOL

A series. A53, A54, A70, A71. Again, I know I had more A series.

S series. Again I think I bought every single one. Except, the S20 & S23.

Flip 3, Flip 4.

Note. Same thing. I remember buying two Note 2's. This is easy because I even I said I used the other like an "iPod." LOL

I have one Xiaomi, the 12t because I started looking at phones while in Manila (Philippines). Last year I wanted the 14 Pro but it's not out.

Huawei. I love their phones. Too bad what happened. I can't even buy it in Manila since it's no longer supported by Google.

P20 Pro, P30 Pro. I can't remember if I bought the Mate series.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Never mind. I'll play. One of the reasons why I keep upgrading is because I get bored, where after 4-6 months I'm done. It's rare but the other is, if I somehow drop my phones even if the damage is barely noticeable, I'll sell it!

*I have to Google the models to go back to what I bought.

"Dummy" Phones. I can't go that far back. I do remember I was a fan of Sony Ericsson phones. Motorola, Nokia. They were all PayGo plans.

I got into contracts and Smart phones in 2009. I can't remember why I got into BlackBerry but the Bold 9000 was my first and loved it. I became a CrackBerry user.

Curve, Torch, Q5, Z10 was last one.

hTc One M7. I bought this TWICE. Very rare for me to buy it again once I sell it. IMO this is the BEST phone ever made.

I can't remember if I bought the M8, I think I did but it was so disappointing. Nexus 6P.

Desire HD, Google Nexus One, EVO 3D. I had more but can't remember.

LG. G2, G3 (twice), G4, G5. G6, Nexus 5, V20, V30. Velvet, G7One.

Sony. Experia Z, Z1. I know I bought more from Sony.

OnePlus. Currently own the 11 5G Emerald Green.

7 Pro (Second favourite of all-time!), 3, 3T, This is again spotty.

Google. I went crazy here with the 7/Pro. I had two of each at one point.

6 Pro (IMO the worst phone of all-time). A lemon and even worse Google refused to help.

I had the Pixel, regretted it. I know I skipped 2 but not sure if I got the 3-5.

Apple. I just list what I skipped. LOL. 1, 2, X and 15.

Samsung. Currently own the S24 Ultra in Titanium Yellow 512GB.

I'm such an addict I bought the ATIV S, Windows phone. LOL

A series. A53, A54, A70, A71. Again, I know I had more A series.

S series. Again I think I bought every single one. Except, the S20 & S23.

Flip 3, Flip 4.

Note. Same thing. I remember buying two Note 2's. This is easy because I even I said I used the other like an "iPod." LOL

I have one Xiaomi, the 12t because I started looking at phones while in Manila (Philippines). Last year I wanted the 14 Pro but it's not out.

Huawei. I love their phones. Too bad what happened. I can't even buy it in Manila since it's no longer supported by Google.

P20 Pro, P30 Pro. I can't remember if I bought the Mate series.
I have to add the flip 4 to my list and foldable, dam forgot them

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I cant even go back and recall all my phones...LOL

Lately 3 per year.

I had a flip Motorola that might have been my first.
Nokia Tank (that was a great phone)
I had a palm pilot for a bit
Blackberry until the end (Shout out to my CrackBerry Friends!!)
Bunch of Samsung, HTC and Erickson, Moto and Nexus.

After the Note 3 pretty much every Note/Ultra since and 3 Folds.

Maybe 2 iPhones, they only lasted a week and got returned. It cracks me up when people say IOs is intuitive, no its not, you have been trained to use it. I am lost on iPhones.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I cant even go back and recall all my phones...LOL

Lately 3 per year.

I had a flip Motorola that might have been my first.
Nokia Tank (that was a great phone)
I had a palm pilot for a bit
Blackberry until the end (Shout out to my CrackBerry Friends!!)
Bunch of Samsung, HTC and Erickson, Moto and Nexus.

After the Note 3 pretty much every Note/Ultra since and 3 Folds.

Maybe 2 iPhones, they only lasted a week and got returned. It cracks me up when people say IOs is intuitive, no its not, you have been trained to use it. I am lost on iPhones.
I agree, iPhones aren't considered intuitive anymore. I am going to give apple a gold start for the dynamic island. That they were intuitive on. It makes a useless camera notch useful for people like me that don't want a front camera to take selfies all the time. Also Samsung did plenty of copying apple on the S24U

No matter what system you choose we all train ourselves to that system. Between the 2 I prefer Samsung, but I do miss things from the iPhone. If it were easier to switch between the 2 I would, but when you throw a watch in with the no physical SIM card on the iPhone swapping is a major pain you know where, and with iMessage screwing up text messages when leaving. I have a iPhone 14 pro Max and ultra watch sitting around collecting dust. I will give the win to apple for the ultra watch

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
My family phones were the LG G6 and Galaxy S9.

The longest I ever owned one single phone was the Motorola Droid X2. That was the longest 2 years of my life. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It had 1 GB of RAM and 8gb of storage. I had an additional 8gb with a micro SD card.

My phones were:

Motorola Citrus
Motorola Droid X2
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
iPhone 4
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6 plus
LG G4
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S9
Pixel 4XL
iPhone 12 Pro
Samsung Galaxy S21 ultra
Samsung Galaxy S22+
Pixel 7 pro
Samsung Galaxy S23 ultra

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure most people on this forum have a very long list of mobile devices they used to own. I don't remember all of mine, didn't collect them. Usually traded-in, sold or gave as a gift to kids, friends and family members.
That ^^ . . . nor did I keep records or lists of them. Too boring, and no one cares.
Although a few of my favorites were the first ones—even though they were the attached Motorola 'car phones'—probably because of the newness, and ehem, status :rolleyes: of having a cellular phone in your vehicle.

First Motorola installed in 1989, and 2nd Motorola upgraded in 1991; both were top-of-the-line Motorola's, the nicest you could get—with the screen on the back (like pics below) and full speaker-phone features—both paid for by the construction company I was working for. I forget the Motorola model #s, and I'm not finding the exact or correct pictures on the net, which seems a bit odd. :unsure:

Anyhoo, they were similar to these, but nicer, and unlike the one on the right—sitting on a power brick—mine both attached to a very small holder on the driveline hump, under the center dash of my pickup, with the power amp mounted behind the back seat:
1991_Motorola_2.jpg1991_Motorola_3.jpg

. . . and as I recall, most of my monthly cell phone bills were in the $500 to $1000+ range ! 😱
While somehow never even coming close to getting in an accident. 😎

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That ^^ . . . nor did I keep records or lists of them. Too boring, and no one cares.
Although a few of my favorites were the first ones—even though they were the attached Motorola 'car phones'—probably because of the newness, and ehem, status :rolleyes: of having a cellular phone in your vehicle.

First Motorola installed in 1989, and 2nd Motorola upgraded in 1991; both were top-of-the-line Motorola's, the nicest you could get—with the screen on the back (like pics below) and full speaker-phone features—both paid for by the construction company I was working for. I forget the Motorola model #s, and I'm not finding the exact or correct pictures on the net, which seems a bit odd. :unsure:

Anyhoo, they were similar to these, but nicer, and unlike the one on the right—sitting on a power brick—mine both attached to a very small holder on the driveline hump, under the center dash of my pickup, with the power amp mounted behind the back seat:
View attachment 360493View attachment 360495

. . . and as I recall, most of my monthly cell phone bills were in the $500 to $1000+ range !
While somehow never even coming close to getting in an accident.
I remember these but never had one.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site

View attachment 360493View attachment 360495

. . . and as I recall, most of my monthly cell phone bills were in the $500 to $1000+ range ! 😱
While somehow never even coming close to getting in an accident. 😎
This just makes you..."ahem"... Old... :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter