Android 5 Lollipop coming to the Venue 8 7840 Tablet On April 21st.

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
According to a post from Dell Liaison Terry B, Android 5 Lollipop is expected to be released for the Venue 8 7840 on April 21st. I hope it's 5.1 but the latest post I saw regarding the version number indicated it would be 5.01.

TheFanza

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Weird enough, on the official page of the device ( it doesn't allow me to post the link ) it says:

"Latest technology: Dell Venue 8 comes with the latest Android™ 5.0 Lollipop® operating system, enabled for Android for Work, so you can expect stronger security, immediate syncing across devices, more flexible device sharing, longer battery life and easy access to quick settings."

Is this new?

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Weird enough, on the official page of the device ( it doesn't allow me to post the link ) it says:

"Latest technology: Dell Venue 8 comes with the latest Android™ 5.0 Lollipop® operating system, enabled for Android for Work, so you can expect stronger security, immediate syncing across devices, more flexible device sharing, longer battery life and easy access to quick settings."

Is this new?

It also said that when they announced the Venue 10" a few weeks back. So it sounds like it's just a marketing mistake.

Posted via the Android Central App

sschimel

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Just spoke to tech support at 1-800-308-3355 was told that Lollipop started rolling out today but may take a few days to reach everyone. She even put me on hold to check with her supervisor who confirmed it.

DanRyb

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Her supervisor must be misinformed. Announced on an ongoing thread since January on Dell's support forums that it's been delayed yet again. What a mistake buying this thing.

mep1127

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
This is ridiculous. I really like this tablet, but the way dell has gone about with this tablet is terrible. Consistently pushing back a promised update... Shows dell's support. Too bad I'm stuck with this tablet now.

ozz007

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The tablet works as it is. Do you want a working tablet or a rush update that breaks it.
We all seen the horror stories with Samsung updates when they rush them.

Yes the update will be nice, and its coming. Prefer something stable than a rush untested update.

paul foster

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Patience folks....remember the guts is intel which is unusual for android OS.

Recently (this week) 1password fixed a syncing bug which was unique to Intel / android builds . it took agile bits at least 10 weeks.

the tablet has plenty going for it and lollipop is not that much better than KitKat. I have a nexus 4 and a nexus 7 with lollipop already. Its no big deal. Stable kit Kat is just fine.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jeffro Bodine

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. This tablet ships with only 8GB of useable storage space. The move to SD function is disabled under Kit Kat. The lollipop build would have re-enabled the move to SD function. At the moment I am out of storage space. Ridiculous.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch