Snapdragon 8 Gen 3’s on-device AI demands the question of why Google Tensor exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Fold wise it doesn't bother me with that little bit off ...but I agree on the other part ..
Haben't used a Pixel fold, so it may be awful... But I can say that my Z Flip 5 doesn't quite unfold fully flat either, so |I'm gonna uncharacteristically defend the Pixel on this one.

Unless it is REALLY bad.

Reactions: Bkdodger1

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Haben't used a Pixel fold, so it may be awful... But I can say that my Z Flip 5 doesn't quite unfold fully flat either, so |I'm gonna uncharacteristically defend the Pixel on this one.

Unless it is REALLY bad.
Yeah it's the same ..you can actually push it out to flat if ya wanted but not a need to do ..

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
You're missing the point! We have to cut Google some slack! Try to bear in mind that this is only their 15th generation of smartphones and they are only worth a couple of Trillion dollars! We can't expect a small scrappy startup like them to be able to compete with their established competitors!

Also don't forget the relatively slow old storage modules they're using. UFS 3.1 is it?
I mean, I don't get it. They've been on Tensor for 3 generations so we should cut them some slack? Why? Is Google going to tell every consumer "oh by the way this is only our 3rd processor we've designed so can't expect top-tier performance, you can't expect exceptional battery life, so you're going to have to take it easy on the criticism"? Customers shouldn't care that this is Google's 1st or 100th processor. Should have zero relevance to how it performs.

When Apple ditched Intel chips in 2020 on the Mac and introduced their own M1 chip - it was exceptionally good, way better than the Intel chips and that was their first attempt. If the chips sucked, would people really be saying 'oh well it's a new chip, cut them some slack'? Of course not. Everyone, especially Android fans, would be laughing and criticizing them harshly and rightfully so. I just want them to keep that same energy when it's Google.

I'm not against Google making their own custom chips. Go for it. But they need to be competitive and I don't mean benchmarks. It needs to be as good as the competition. The one thing they could hang their hat on was AI, but even that, they're getting blown out of the water in.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Why don't you two get a room? We all know neither of you are fans of Google or their phones. One of you, that I believe only buys the Pixel to complain about it. And the other, doesn't buy it and hates on it, constantly might I add. The ignore button is soon to become my friend.

This P8P is a phone that competes with all of the phones I have owned or own, depending on what features are important to you.. The only caveat may be, and keep in mind I don't game, is gaming.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
If you don't care about benchmarks, then why bring them up? I don't think anybody else on either side of this discussion has mentioned them once...
Because OP tried to not bring it up in his comment but of course, you and OP keep bringing it up by using the word performance in every other sentence

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you two get a room? We all know neither of you are fans of Google or their phones. One of you, that I believe only buys the Pixel to complain about it. And the other, doesn't buy it and hates on it, constantly might I add. The ignore button is soon to become my friend.

This P8P is a phone that competes with all of the phones I have owned or own, depending on what features are important to you.. The only caveat may be, and keep in mind I don't game, is gaming.
I'm pretty sure both of us have bought pixels... I currently own one, and actually convinced someone to buy a 7A this week. i am also currently in a room.

Criticism is not the same as hate, we can't all be fanboys. And it's a good job that we aren't, or nothing would ever improve.I'll keep complaining about Google until they actually match up with the competition, they have no excuse for not doing so. So I would block me now if I was you lol

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure both of us have bought pixels... I currently own one, and actually convinced someone to buy a 7A this week. i am also currently in a room.

Criticism is not the same as hate, we can't all be fanboys. And it's a good job that we aren't, or nothing would ever improve.I'll keep complaining about Google until they actually match up with the competition, they have no excuse for not doing so. So I would block me now if I was you lol
This is the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro thread, not the 7a thread. I am sorry, I wasn't aware you owned a Pixel 8 or a Pixel 8 Pro.

Not sure if you were saying I was a fanboy or generically throwing that out there, your never very clear. I also agree we can't all be fanboys, whether Samsung or Google and I have criticized both equally. Either way, I also love to see tech improve.

While it is your subjective opinion that the Pixel 8 Pro can't "match up" to the competition, not everyone agrees. Everyone also doesn't have the same usage needs or the needs for the same feature set. "Scrappy start-up Google", while I have zero in their game, happens to be the backbone that your much beloved Samsung runs on, it only has a One UI skin.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Because OP tried to not bring it up in his comment but of course, you and OP keep bringing it up by using the word performance in every other sentence
Performance doesn't necessarily mean benchmarks. I personally don't care for benchmarks. Performance to me is when the phone struggles to play games that my phone from two years ago didn't sucked with. Struggles when it gets hot because I'm using Maps. I've had the phone freezing on me multiple times where the screen just won't respond to touch and I've missed calls because of it. Performance to me is not just the speed of the phone but the reliability of it.

And this thread was questioning why Tensor exists when there's seemingly no benefit to it, other than its cheaper for Google to buy. 7 years of updates is nice, sure, but I'm sure having 4 or 5 years of updates would have kept users happy when they typically upgrade every 2-3 years.

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos