Can't boot rom manager

spabramenko

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Droid 2 - Installed Apex Rom. Works awesome, but its my first custom, so I would like to check a couple more. I used rom manager to install the file, but now I can't get Rom Manager to load up at boot. Here is what I have tried: booting while holding the down volume (note this worked before the apex rom), boot while holding the "x" key, this takes me to the android recovery, but will not install the update.zip, something about it not being signed. Used Rom Manager to try and "Reboot into Recovery". Reflashed clockworkmod Recovery multiple times. Tried to install Rom From SD Card with Rom Manager. All of the above failed. I even went as far as wiping the the phone with the android recover boot. Wiped all my apps and settings, however it still booted to APEX. At this point I just want to get back to my backup that I created before the APEX rom. Anyone have any ideas??

spabramenko

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Figured it out. Uninstalled rom manager and then installed bootstrap recovery. Then installed rom manager again. Booted and sure enough it worked. For some reason bootstrap was not there after the apex install. Forgot about that app.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
rom manager still provides a great way to create and manage backups, plus it keeps you up to dat eon the latest clockwork recovery. that being said no Droid 2 Devs are going to be posting their work in ROM Manager. I might reccomend e-mailing the dev and asking them to double check and make sure that the bootstrap system/ alterations are correct. As bootstrap doesn't need to be downloaded and run more than once because it permanently alters the boot operation. I don't know if that is contained within the ROM though.

Kieldar

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I am a D2 user, former D1 user, and have rooted, ROM'd, and themed at least 7 different types of devices. All that is just to lend credibility to what I am about to say so as not to start a flamewar. I mean no offense, but you are incorrect about the bootstrap. The D2's locked bootloader re-writes the boot.img every time the system initializes. Recovery happens before the system's init. Therefore, you can "bootstrap" (re-write the boot image and point it to Clockwork Recovery) and boot in to Clockwork once per time you use bootstrap. As soon as you move past recovery and the system initializes, it reverts back to the stock recovery.

I do agree though, that ROM Manager is still a valuable resource for keeping Clockwork Recovery up to date as well as staying up to date on the now available CM Nightlies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87