1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Apps that you can freeze!

Here is a list of apps that I have frozen with no issue's (mostly verizon stuff):

Apps
    Blockbuster
    CarDock
    Citrix
    City ID
    GoToMeeting
    Guided Tours
    V cast media manager
    v cast music
    v cast tones
    v cast videos
    voicemail
    vz navigator

Please let us know what else can be safely frozen or deleted.
    OD, DX, D3, Bionic, Nexus, RAZR Max and Nexus 7
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Default Re: Apps that you can freeze!

Quote Originally Posted by myersjesse View Post
    Here is a list of apps that I have frozen with no issue's (mostly verizon stuff):

Apps
    Blockbuster
    CarDock
    Citrix
    City ID
    GoToMeeting
    Guided Tours
    V cast media manager
    v cast music
    v cast tones
    v cast videos
    voicemail
    vz navigator

Please let us know what else can be safely frozen or deleted.
    I go hard when i freeze apps. I use Root Explorer and freeze a ton of items. I've done this with my D1, and DX and experienced no problems with them.

Those apps are definitely safe to remove. There only a handful of items which are imperative to run Android. I'll update this post with a full list of file names, if its safe to remove, and what process they are apart of.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Masheen View Post
    I go hard when i freeze apps. I use Root Explorer and freeze a ton of items. I've done this with my D1, and DX and experienced no problems with them.

Those apps are definitely safe to remove. There only a handful of items which are imperative to run Android. I'll update this post with a full list of file names, if its safe to remove, and what process they are apart of.
    Thanks. I usually don't delete the apps unless I'm low on app memory. I usually just freeze them with titanium backup pro. I would appreciate any other apps that will not cause a bootloop.
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock (for now)

So being that the Droid 3 root method works on the Droid X .602 OTA I am re-rooted and got my Root Explorer back up and running.

Following is a list of apps which I have personally frozen on my Droid X. I will be rooting my girlfriend's Droid 3 this weekend and post the D3 specific Apk's in another post. The ones that I have posted here most likely will not harm the D3 if it hasn't caused bootloop or distraught on my DX.

Here is a list of the Apk files i like to freeze on my Moto Droid phone. (To freeze an app via Root Explorer you must be rooted and in RW mode, ((If on Mount RO mode click to make RW)) you then long click and go to rename then change the .Apk extension of the desired Apk to .Bak. You must be in /system/app menu.)
    This prevents the Apk from booting, thus providing the same benefit as deleting but saving you the agony of having to reinstall during an OTA update.

My removable app list is as follows:
    Adservice.Apk - has something to do with ads, don't need this
    Amazon
    BackupAssistanceClient - Google has its own backup which doesn't run in background.
    Blockbuster
    BlurAlarm Clock - won't mess anything up. won't affect 3rd party clocks.
    BlurCalandar - won't mess anything up . won't affect 3rd party calendars.
    BlurSNMessagingEngine - If you don't use social messaging apps and stick to SMS.
    BooksPhone - Google Books
    BUAContactAdapter - Part of Backup Assistance.
    CarDock
    CItyID
    ClockWidget
    CMAS - Emergency Contact / Warning mechanism.
    DLNA - If you don't use it.
    Dock / DockService
    DownloadProviderui - Coincides with stock browser downloads. If use 3rd party ie: Miren has its own.
    FMRadioService - Radio.
    FriendFeed - Social network bloat.
    Genie Widget - Don't know but don't hurt.
    Global Unplug - Notifies your phone via notification ring when phone is fully charged. runs in background.
    GoogleQuickSearchBox - Google search box. Kind of buggy on some devices. I launch mine from browser.
    HelpCenter - For noobs.
    HomeSyncWizard - Don't know but don't hurt.
    Kindle
    LiveWallPapers/Picker - live wallpapers.
    Madden
    MediaSync - Pops when phone has media connection. Not necessary.
    Messages.Widget - Messaging widget.
    MotHSTCmd - Mobile Hotspot. I removed mine and still get free hotspot because of root...
    MotoFMRadio - FM Radio.
    My Verizon
    NewBayVault_Market - Don't know but it has V cast symbol which I do not like.
    PhotoWidget
    Picotts - Removing this did nothing but removing tts.apk messes up turn by turn nav.
    QuickContactWidget
    QuickOffice - Useful but not needed.
    QuickSMS - MAP function allowing quick text to incoming call when in another call.
    Skype - Vzw preloaded one doesn't allow video chat, lame.
    SocialMessaging - More social networking bloat.
    StatusWidget - More social networking bloat.
    StickyNoteWidget - Phone built in sticky notes.
    SuggestionsRuleCheckerCore - Coincides with built in keyboard. I use SwiftkeyX. So I don't need this.
    SuggestionsServiceScheduler - Same with built in keyboard.
    Swype
    Talk - Google talk.
    Vcast
    VoiceSearch
    VpnClient - Don't know but don't hurt. Unnecessary Vzw apk.
    VSuite - Doesn't hurt.
    VVM - Visual voice mail. Unnecessary.
    VZW Navigation - Verizon paid navigation. Got free Google one.
    Weather - Built in weather service.
    You Tube

Blur_activesync,email,facebook,flickr,lastfm,linkedin,myspace,orkutpicasa,skyrock,twitter,yahoo, work contacts.
    I've removed these but my stock SMS stopped working. one of these messes that up so I put them all back to normal.

Again no onehas to remove all or any of these. I felt that this was the maximum amount of unnecessary Apk's that i was able to remove without compromising Android's necessary functioning.

My Droid X lasts a day and a half with moderate to heavy use and feels much snappier.

I hope this helps a lot of you questioning certain processes and apk's.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

how do you freeze the mobile hotspot?
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by mtva24 View Post
    how do you freeze the mobile hotspot?

From what I can see, the Apk for Mobile hotspot is MotHstcmd.apk. Let me know if you come across another.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Masheen View Post
    From what I can see, the Apk for Mobile hotspot is MotHstcmd.apk. Let me know if you come across another.
    yeah i froze that one and the icon is still in the app drawer...

Just fyi, but if you freeze DLNA you may get a looping forced close issue. Rebooting the phone seems to clear it (with DLNA still frozen.)

Let us know if anything varies with your droid x list when you do your gf droid 3 please.

-Suntan
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Oops, I posted my freeze list in another thread, but just found this one, so I'm moving it here...

FYI, it seems that the "Yahoo! Mail Authenticator 2.3.4" was causing my Contacts issue when I froze it. So, as long as it isn't frozen, everything seems to work OK. Here is the list of apps that I currently have frozen (listed as indicated in Titanium Backup Pro):

• Accounts Storage 2.3.4 (I defrosted this one because it cause a problem when accessing my accounts list)
    • Amazon Kindle 2.0.5.xxx
    • Apps 1.02.16 (this is for Verizon Apps)
    • Backup Assistant 2.3.4
    • Backup Assistant Client 1.0
    • Blockbuster 0.8
    • Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
    • City ID 1.1.7
    • Data Manager Service 1.1 (This one appears to be Motorola-specific, so I've added it and will see how it works out)
    • DLNA 0709.69
    • DlnaSystemService 1.0
    • Flickr Authenticator 2.3.4
    • FMRadioService 2.3.4
    • GoToMeeting 1.0
    • Guided Tours 2.3.4
    • Help Center 2.3.4
    • IM 3.0.4.6
    • IM Presence 2.3.4
    • LastFM Authenticator 2.3.4 (I don't use LastFM)
    • LinkedIn Authenticator 2.3.4
    • Messaging 2.3.4 (not a fan of the whole combined inbox approach to things)
    • MOTOPRINT 1.10.0.51
    • Music 2.3.4 (I froze this because I am using the other Google Music app that allows you to stream your own library, which is also called "Music", by the way)
    • MySpace Authenticator 2.3.4
    • News 2.3.4
    • NFL Mobile 4.0
    • Orkut Authenticator 2.3.4
    • Photobucket Authenticator 2.3.4
    • Slacker 2.1.191
    • Social Location 2.0
    • Social Messaging 2.3.4
    • Social Messaging Service 2.3.4
    • Social Networking 2.3.4
    • Social Sharing 2.3.4
    • Social Status 2.3.4
    • Sync Service 2.5.0.17.3 (I think this is related to Backup Assistant, only, and not to any other sync activity, so I added it to my freeze list. We'll see what happens)
    • Universal Inbox 2.3.4
    • Universal Inbox 2.3.4 (I don't know why there are two of these)
    • V CAST Media Manager 4.2.99.36
    • V CAST Music 03.72.107
    • V CAST Tones 4.5.7
    • V CAST Videos 5.72.005
    • VZ Navigator 7.1.5.33
    • Weather 2.3.4 (I don't use the stock weather app, news app or forest live wallpaper, so I added this to the freeze list. I expect the forest wallpaper uses this for its weather info, though)
    • Yahoo Contacts 2.3.4
    • ZumoCast 1.0.17

Obviously, if you use any of those, you wouldn't want to freeze them. There are a few things on the list that I might defrost down the road if I decide to use them, but for now, I'm not. Freezing this list of apps seems not to cause any problems with anything else. I'll repost if I discover that any of these freezes broke anything. So far, so good, though.

-SR-
    Last edited by WarER4X; 08-30-2011 at 10:12 AM.

After rooting and disabling the mentioned apps, is there a big improvement in performance of the phone? Has anyone noticed an improved battery life and if yes by how much? (10, 20, 30 %?)

I'm trying to build a spreadsheet database to be able to answer these questions. Check it out here:

If you find your answer, and can add it to the list please do to help others in the future.

Masheen and WarER4X, I've already integrated the stuff above into it

i use systemapk manager to freeze and delete bloats.. no problem so far. its free. cant backup though