Pentile Screen Opinion/Topic

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
That's a lot of salt lately gapi, better watch your blood pressure. :)

Yeh, I know. I'm ready for anything. I love these forums and seeing all the news releases that are published weeks after we hear it here first shows me allot.

Its amazing how some of these Cellular news sites articles are copy and pasted from here and posted way down the road.

But, I do fear of an anti-climatic release of a near spec's Photon in a different case.

Just a sittin and a waitn

cobraphx

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
About the Bionic screen. The screen is a newer design than the one in the DX2, D3. Just the fact that it is very likely a 4.5" screen proves that point. These screens (LCD, AMOLED) are getting better and better with each new design and process revision. Look at LCD TV, the improvements in LCD TV are huge over the last 4 years. So much so the that Pioneer switched from Plasma to LCD this year for it's Elite Series TV's.

The latest leak pictures of the Bionic showing the earlier prototype with the screen on look very good. And it is not uncommon for the screen to improve a bit before reaching full production. Very likely the prototype phones have prototype screens, especially if this is the first production phone to include that screen.Another New DROID Bionic Gallery Surfaces, Looking More Beautiful by the Minute - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
About the Bionic screen. The screen is a newer design than the one in the DX2, D3. Just the fact that it is very likely a 4.5" screen proves that point. These screens (LCD, AMOLED) are getting better and better with each new design and process revision. Look at LCD TV, the improvements in LCD TV are huge over the last 4 years. So much so the that Pioneer switched from Plasma to LCD this year for it's Elite Series TV's.

The latest leak pictures of the Bionic showing the earlier prototype with the screen on look very good. And it is not uncommon for the screen to improve a bit before reaching full production. Very likely the prototype phones have prototype screens, especially if this is the first production phone to include that screen.Another New DROID Bionic Gallery Surfaces, Looking More Beautiful by the Minute - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Why do you think it is "most likely" 4.5"? From the leaks, other than pictures, it seems to indicate 4.3". I would love the bigger screen, but...

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
And conversely, I had read a lot about pentile screens and how awful they were. I looked at the Atrix, DX2 and D3 trying to see what everyone was complaining about and I saw nothing. I knew what to look for but just couldn't see it. I respect your opinion on pentiles because you are one of the few who states it as an opinion and encourages others to look at it for themselves, its the people who demonize it and try to poison everyone against it by stating it like its a fact that its an inferior screen that really bother me.

Yes. That's ridiculous to not even go look at it yourself and form your OWN opinion. Some people may not even notice it, some may and could care less.

I think the best thing to come out of this thread though is that people are informed. They will now look at the screen more carefully and when they see nothing wrong and buy the Bionic they wont complain. Its a win win

Sent from my Droid

Reactions: corymcnutt

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
These screens (LCD, AMOLED) are getting better and better with each new design and process revision. Look at LCD TV, the improvements in LCD TV are huge over the last 4 years. So much so the that Pioneer switched from Plasma to LCD this year for it's Elite Series TV's.

There may be some truth to that, but with PC monitors the opposite has been true. Right now the low to middle end is dominated by junky TN panels (w/poor color and horrible viewing angles) simply because they're so cheap to produce, rather than the high quality IPS and PVA panels that used to be widespread.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Sprint Photon area has a nice discussion about the pentile if you gentlemen want to take a look at some unbiased opinions from actual owners.

Sent from my Droid

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Just because the screen size may be different doesn't mean that it's different technology. Case in point, look at the DX2 and D3. Different screen size, same pentile screen. I, for one though, still believe that the Bionic's screen is 4.3". So I suspect that it'll be identical to the DX2.

With the leaked pictures, I don't know how anyone can tell much about the quality of the screen. The pictures are either grainy or blurry. Can't really tell much from those IMO.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Sprint Photon area has a nice discussion about the pentile if you gentlemen want to take a look at some unbiased opinions from actual owners.

Sent from my Droid

Got through the first 12 pages and it is more of what we've seen in every Pentile thread written: people hating it, people saying they don't see anything, people calling other people blind, people spewing misinformation about the technology, people trolling, etc.

This is one thing that everyone just HAS to see for him or herself to see if it is something that will bother them.

Reactions: jroc

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I just finished playing extensively with the Photon, d3 and x2. In my opinion the D3 was great with blur but slightly laggy. The screen wasnt as bad as some may claim. Coming from an X it was harder to see the icons and what not. Green edges were still 'jagged' but harder to see.

The X2 was pretty much the same but very obvious to see the green edges. I could probably get used to it after awhile.

The photon on the other hand was kind of bad with certain scenarios. Movement brought out the 'pixelation' and 'graininess'. After the movement stopped the picture would settle and it would go away. The green was not as good as the d3 but better than the x2.

Other than the green and other colors that show off the edges, i have a theory. For those of us who can see the issues with pentile rgbw, maybe we should get OUR eyes checked. I could feel and see my vision trying to fight with the screen to 'normailize' what I was seeing. Hard to explain but play with it for an extended amount of time and your eyes and brain activate auto correct. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
916ninja that's the ghosting that people are complaining about.

I think this whole pentile thing will be shortlived. I believe they will ditch it soon and move onto a much better screen. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new screen on their next handset.

Sent from my Droid

Soapinmouth

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I hear the ghosting has nothing to do with pentile, does that mean it might not be there in the bionic?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
916ninja that's the ghosting that people are complaining about.

I think this whole pentile thing will be shortlived. I believe they will ditch it soon and move onto a much better screen. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new screen on their next handset.

Sent from my Droid

I don't know what the future of pentile in smartphones is(I love it and hope it stays) but it definitely looks like the tech is here to stay

iPad 3 Retina Display Now Possible Thanks to New Samsung PenTile Displays? [Samsung Already Has 2,560 x 1,600 10.1-inch Tablet-ready Displays; Will It Share Them With Apple for a Future iPad Design?] | TFTS

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I hear the ghosting has nothing to do with pentile, does that mean it might not be there in the bionic?

If it has nothing to do with the pentile then it may just be a driver/software issue. Will it be on the Bionic is anyones guess. Its present on their handset so it a possibility.

I honestly have not looked into what's causing it or who or what's to blame. Where did you hear or read it wasn't a pentile issue?

Sent from my Droid

Last edited:

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Correct. To clarify. I think this whole arguement of pixels will be a non issue with the next iteration of screens they use. Whatever that may be. I'm sure they are well aware of the current screens "shortcomings "

Sent from my Droid

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Correct. To clarify. I think this whole arguement of pixels will be a non issue with the next iteration of screens they use. Whatever that may be. I'm sure they are well aware of the current screens "shortcomings "

I agree. There are legitimate advantages to Pentile, and at 1280x720 and above they may well surpass the visual downsides which will be less and less apparent.

This isn't a backpedal, it's just a technology that will be more appealing in the future than it is now.

Reactions: Castor Troy

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Droid

I think they just need to get the pixel density up to a point that the Pentile 'shortcomings' are minimized or eliminated. There are many benefits to this technology for a mobile device.

I still say my ideal phone display is 1280x720 at 4.3 - 4.5 inches using Pentile RBGW.

Reactions: Castor Troy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress