Pentile Screen Opinion/Topic

Dostovel

Jul 15, 2010
www.facebook.com
Re: Can anyone tell me how good the screen is supposed to be?

What matters is that it is going to be as good as YOU think it is when you are using it. Answer your question? =P

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I have an HTC phone but realistically I feel like Samsung and the Iphone have set the standard as far ras screens go.

If you are referencing the SA+ screens in the sammy you can keep em. I have said it twice already that the screen is oversaturated and blows the colors out of proportion. I would prefer more natural coloring.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
If you are referencing the SA+ screens in the sammy you can keep em. I have said it twice already that the screen is oversaturated and blows the colors out of proportion. I would prefer more natural coloring.

I took a good look at the Charge and i'm not sure why people love it so much. It looked like they took a giant box of crayola crayons, picked the ones that no one ever used or ever heard of(mountain meadow anyone?), and substituted those for the real colors. I looked at it for about 5 minutes and it drove me crazy.

Reactions: cjsmoove

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site

How would it compare to a Droid X if you held them up side by side?

Any pros/cons over the X to viewing it outside?

I'm probably going to pre-order this phone and was just wondering what to expect. Thanks for your input.
I got a DX2 as a warranty replacement for my DX. I have 2 batteries, so I compared them side by side as I reloaded apps and set up my screens:
- DX2 is brighter, but so is a light bulb
- DX2 pentile display is horribly pixelated in solid greens and reds. It is so bad that I can no longer use red or green in my calendar widget - all I see is dots, but the letters are hard to make out.
- The pixelation is bad from a normal 1 1/2 foot viewing distance. Its comical if you look up close. It is bad enough that it affects usability, so I am not even going to consider the Bionic if it uses the DX2's display.
- Battery life on my DX2 is a little shorter than with the DX (same batteries), so the pentile display doesn't help there.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
There's always the chance that Motorola is moving away from Pentile for the Bionic or they are moving towards a higher quality Pentile display. They've released two phones with it now and have received much abuse (and some acclaim) for these new qHD displays; maybe Moto decided to change it up with Targa. Remember, the Targa model wasn't supposed to hit until Autumn but was pushed up because of the scrapped Etna. Maybe Targa doesn't use Pentile at all.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I got a DX2 as a warranty replacement for my DX. I have 2 batteries, so I compared them side by side as I reloaded apps and set up my screens:
- DX2 is brighter, but so is a light bulb
- DX2 pentile display is horribly pixelated in solid greens and reds. It is so bad that I can no longer use red or green in my calendar widget - all I see is dots, but the letters are hard to make out.
- The pixelation is bad from a normal 1 1/2 foot viewing distance. Its comical if you look up close. It is bad enough that it affects usability, so I am not even going to consider the Bionic if it uses the DX2's display.
- Battery life on my DX2 is a little shorter than with the DX (same batteries), so the pentile display doesn't help there.

Fair enough. You definitely shouldn't buy any screen with pentile then if it bothers you so much that "letters are hard to make out" (that seems like an exaggeration to me...). I suggest you browse the Samsung forums. Problem solved. :)

Reactions: anon(49997)

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
All I know is that I have been watching Netflix on my Wifes D3 before bed and it looks great to me. Yeah I know it isn't solid colors stationary like a webpage but watching video on it is nice and I don't notice any pixilation when I am watching my shows. It all runs smooth as butter and the colors look natural. I look forward to whatever comes on the Bionic since I know it won't be a SA+ screen.

jamor

Banned
Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I have the HTC Incredible and it is Pentile. It doesn't bother me at all and I've owned it for 15 months.

It's AMOLED Pentile though so I don't know what the difference in pentile is between that and LCD.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the HTC Incredible and it is Pentile. It doesn't bother me at all and I've owned it for 15 months.

It's AMOLED Pentile though so I don't know what the difference in pentile is between that and LCD.

Yeah, there's a difference. Not all Pentile are born equal.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I believe that is because the Incredible uses RGBG sub pixels whereas the Motorola devices use RGBW sub pixels.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I believe that is because the Incredible uses RGBG sub pixels whereas the Motorola devices use RGBW sub pixels.

That would be unlikely to be a difference, as signficant difference between RGBW and RGBG is the addition of the white independent pixel instead of using all to to make it. The result there is that white color on a RGBW is superior and text shown against white is superior (along with battery drain being less due to the white).

There's a lot that goes into it - resolution, size of the screen, how its produced, etc. Generally speaking a RGBW pentile is considered superior to a RGBG pentile. To some (Friend-O, CK) that's not saying much :)

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Still, Motorola knows that the Bionic could be a huge seller for them.. it'd be in their best interest to put the same RGB Stripe that is on the Droid 1 into the Bionic.. it wouldn't even be a thought of "am I going to buy this?" it would be, "I WILL buy this day 1"

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Still, Motorola knows that the Bionic could be a huge seller for them.. it'd be in their best interest to put the same RGB Stripe that is on the Droid 1 into the Bionic.. it wouldn't even be a thought of "am I going to buy this?" it would be, "I WILL buy this day 1"

I'm trying not to be overly-negative here, but the problem is that one of the big draws of pentile on a cell phone is to preserve power. Samsung's AMOLED+ can use RGB stripe because AMOLED screens use less power in general (generally speaking, except on whites). Couple that with LTE and you'd likely have some serious battery issues, at least in my opinion. :-\

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
That would be unlikely to be a difference, as signficant difference between RGBW and RGBG is the addition of the white independent pixel instead of using all to to make it. The result there is that white color on a RGBW is superior and text shown against white is superior (along with battery drain being less due to the white).

There's a lot that goes into it - resolution, size of the screen, how its produced, etc. Generally speaking a RGBW pentile is considered superior to a RGBG pentile. To some (Friend-O, CK) that's not saying much :)

This is what is scaring me. The only time I use a white background with black text is in the web browser. All of my screen backgrounds are dark red, dark blue, dark green or black with gold, so how is this white independent pixel going to impact dark backgrounds?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm trying not to be overly-negative here, but the problem is that one of the big draws of pentile on a cell phone is to preserve power. Samsung's AMOLED+ can use RGB stripe because AMOLED screens use less power in general (generally speaking, except on whites). Couple that with LTE and you'd likely have some serious battery issues, at least in my opinion. :-\

..but the people who are looking forward to the Bionic, are probably power users to begin with who would just deal with the strain on the battery.

I for one would simply deal with charging multiple times a day to have best screen, dual core and LTE. :)

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
..but the people who are looking forward to the Bionic, are probably power users to begin with who would just deal with the strain on the battery.

I for one would simply deal with charging multiple times a day to have best screen, dual core and LTE. :)

I carry around a second battery. If the new dock has a back up battery charger I will be in business.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk