Why give up on the Bionic?

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I think now they're even farther behind with Nvidia's announcement about Quad-Core phones coming next year. It'll be hard for the Bionic to compete with that.

Yeah, I seem to remember about this time last year all of the talk about dual core phones in 'early 2011'...

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I seem to remember about this time last year all of the talk about dual core phones in 'early 2011'...

The first one was in Q2 2011, so we'll probably see quad cores around the same time, or maybe a little later. I wouldn't expect a really good quality quad core until about this time next year.

schaferan

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The temptation to get a new phone was too strong for me. I wanted this phone so bad when I first heard about it, but after the Droid X2 came out with basically the same specs (minus LTE) as the originally shown Bionic, I jumped in. So Moto gets my money any way you look at it. I also have to say that I love my X2. I was a part of the soak test and 2.3.3 is also a nice upgrade.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
The first one was in Q2 2011, so we'll probably see quad cores around the same time, or maybe a little later. I wouldn't expect a really good quality quad core until about this time next year.

I hope so! My 2nd line will have an upgrade about this time next year. Right on target for a new phone about every 10 to 11 months...:D

ltfrazer

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
does anyone know if either the Bionic or the GSII will be a world phone at Verizon? At this point that will make the difference for me, whether I continue to wait for the Bionic or get the GSII. If the GSII is a world phone than I'm jumping ship, if the Bionic is a world phone, than I'll stick around.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Now that some specs have been released, is anyone disappointed with the OMAP 4430 processor? :-\

Not really. Since the 4460 is just a "binned" version of the 4430 there really is not much difference.

Couple that with the fact that, supposedly, Motorola doesn't buy "off the shelf" processors from TI but actually customizes them for their use and the distinction becomes even less relevant.

Reactions: jroc

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know if either the Bionic or the GSII will be a world phone at Verizon? At this point that will make the difference for me, whether I continue to wait for the Bionic or get the GSII. If the GSII is a world phone than I'm jumping ship, if the Bionic is a world phone, than I'll stick around.

"World Phones" on Verizon feature a SIM card and GSM radio. This phone and the rest of the LTE phones do not have this.

Now, if carriers outside of the USA were to adopt LTE in the same frequency band that VZW is, then it would somewhat be one.

For now the answer is no, this is not a world phone.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Now that some specs have been released, is anyone disappointed with the OMAP 4430 processor? :-\

A little disappointed, but not surprised since we had heard that's what it would be. I was hoping for 1.5; just to really make it stand out more from the other processors being used. I thought since we've had to wait so long for this phone it would really "blow us away;" it has good, but not GREAT specs. I'm still getting it...just saying.

ltfrazer

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
"World Phones" on Verizon feature a SIM card and GSM radio. This phone and the rest of the LTE phones do not have this.

Now, if carriers outside of the USA were to adopt LTE in the same frequency band that VZW is, then it would somewhat be one.

For now the answer is no, this is not a world phone.

Thanks, Cory. But I don't think it's a matter of other areas using LTE, it's a matter of the US phone service providers/manufacturers selling the phones with GSM capability. And there is no reason why these phones can't be dual GSM/LTE capable. If there is room for a sim card it should be able to be unlocked and allowed to work on the GSM frequencies.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Cory. But I don't think it's a matter of other areas using LTE, it's a matter of the US phone service providers/manufacturers selling the phones with GSM capability. And there is no reason why these phones can't be dual GSM/LTE capable. If there is room for a sim card it should be able to be unlocked and allowed to work on the GSM frequencies.

Right now the manufacturers have had a hard enough time getting the transition CDMA/LTE phones up and running without having a device that can suck the battery dry in record time. If you look around, many of the experts have said the current LTE radios are pretty power hungry.

If you're looking for a phone that's GSM/LTE - your best bet would likely come from AT&T before it does VZW. Until VZW shuts down CDMA, an LTE worldphone for them would be CDMA/LTE/GSM.

Also, as far as I know, LTE radios are not really "general". That they are built to only service a specific frequency range - personally I hope I'm wrong here. AT&T And Verizon currently are not planning to make their LTE networks compatible:
Cross-carrier LTE phone interoperability: a brief hope, shot down

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I never gave up, just need to expand my view for what will be around in September/October. I will still probably end up with a bionic since I am all but fed up with my Storm 2 but just want to make sure I spend my upgrade wisely.

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I never gave up, just need to expand my view for what will be around in September/October. I will still probably end up with a bionic since I am all but fed up with my Storm 2 but just want to make sure I spend my upgrade wisely.

I hear you. Its a buyers market now. I'm hoping for some surprises between now and x-mas. I waited this long, its getting easier now.

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I gave up because I found out that it's nothing more than a Photon with an OMAP4. Not that that's bad or anything but I'd have to be swept off my feet by a device with no physical QWERTY to buy it, so I sold out on the Droid 3.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I gave up because I found out that it's nothing more than a Photon with an OMAP4. Not that that's bad or anything but I'd have to be swept off my feet by a device with no physical QWERTY to buy it, so I sold out on the Droid 3.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

There is no way that you should consider getting a Droid3 "selling out." It is a great phone and, if you don't mind not having LTE, will serve you well for quite a while I'm sure.