Google bought Motorola, now who's more excited for the Bionic?

Schultzy

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
So just to catch everyone up to speed on Google buying out Motorola Mobility:

TechCrunch - By Buying Motorola, Google Can Now Do Whatever the Heck They Want With Android

So after having that knowledge, how do you feel about the Bionic now? More excited? Choke-up and cry? Maybe you want to dismember a small child?

Well I don't know how someone would feel the latter, but as for me, it got me pumped for the Bionic. Enough for me to sell my Droid Charge to help out in buying the beast when it comes out - without contract. The reason behind my madness? Because that (kinda) solves the riddle as to why the Bionic was delayed. Google wanted this to be their first-born phone after the marriage of Google and Motorola, so of course it had to be perfection. Hence the new look, the few upgraded specs, and in all that time it was delayed they better have debugged the hell out of that thing. And besides, if the Bionic shipped out when it was originally dated to back in the spring, wouldn't it have shipped with MotoBlur? I'm glad they're going Vanilla Android because that will spark more development and innovation in the rooting community, or at least in the ROMs and Themes subgroups.

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google bought Motorola, now who's more excited for the Bionic

I dunno anymore. With Samsung rumors abounding I'm finding this end of waiting to be less frustrating now. OSM is spouting rumored news of a Sammy Celox with a possible 4.5" screen and a 1.5 processor and such.

If the Bionic had released and I had bitten, and these monster Sammys landed after, Argh! Mercy! Its looking like a MFG war the consumer will reap well from.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm not going to count my chickens just yet. Will wait for the dust to settle from googles aquisition before I get excited. There's no telling which way this will go. The optimist in me though hopes for the best but the realist makes me cautious and watchful.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

So just to catch everyone up to speed on Google buying out Motorola Mobility:

TechCrunch - By Buying Motorola, Google Can Now Do Whatever the Heck They Want With Android

So after having that knowledge, how do you feel about the Bionic now? More excited? Choke-up and cry? Maybe you want to dismember a small child?

Well I don't know how someone would feel the latter, but as for me, it got me pumped for the Bionic. Enough for me to sell my Droid Charge to help out in buying the beast when it comes out - without contract. The reason behind my madness? Because that (kinda) solves the riddle as to why the Bionic was delayed. Google wanted this to be their first-born phone after the marriage of Google and Motorola, so of course it had to be perfection. Hence the new look, the few upgraded specs, and in all that time it was delayed they better have debugged the hell out of that thing. And besides, if the Bionic shipped out when it was originally dated to back in the spring, wouldn't it have shipped with MotoBlur? I'm glad they're going Vanilla Android because that will spark more development and innovation in the rooting community, or at least in the ROMs and Themes subgroups.

We don't really even know if Google with have any real hand in the Bionic. We don't know if it's going Vanilla either, it should still be shipping with whatever Motorola wants to call Blur now. And we don't know if it will be unlocked.
I hope it is all true, as I really would like a better phone, with vanilla Android and it be unlocked. And I hope that we see Google's hand in it, as it will be more updated and less buggy.

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

We don't really even know if Google with have any real hand in the Bionic. We don't know if it's going Vanilla either, it should still be shipping with whatever Motorola wants to call Blur now. And we don't know if it will be unlocked.
I hope it is all true, as I really would like a better phone, with vanilla Android and it be unlocked. And I hope that we see Google's hand in it, as it will be more updated and less buggy.
It will ship with the current Motorola software that is available. They're not going to redevelop an AOSP ROM for the phone and then have Verizon test it before any sort of acquisition has taken place. Google still has nothing to do with Motorola at this point. If the rest of Motorola's phone lineup is any indication, this phone will have a locked bootloader as well.

Google won't own Motorola until early 2012 when (if) the buyout goes through the FTC.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

as I said earlier, this acquisition means absolutely nothing as far as the bionic is concerned. The bionic is the same phone it was 2 days ago before this news broke. It's not going to be an AOSP experience. It's not going to get updates in the blink of an eye, lest we forget that carriers have to test and approve updates as well (with the nexus being the sole exception). If, and so far its a big if, google decides to really dive into the manufacturing side of things, we probably wouldn't see the fruit of that labor for at least a year or so. Everything that google has said and done so far in the wake of the moto acquisition makes it truly seem like this was primarily for the patents they gained by purchasing moto.

And that tech crunch article...let's just say it made for some humorous reading material.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Schultzy you wont see a collaboration for a while yet in regards to this acquisition. These things take time. Bionic wont be impacted in any way.

You're looking at mid to late 2012 for anything coming out of this.

Nightline is going to be talking about it but I'm off to bed. Maybe somebody else caught it.

Sent from my Droid

Schultzy

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

*sigh*. Yes, you're posts all make sense and are no doubt right. Like a fool, I forgot that it does have to go through FTC approval, so maybe the Bionic won't be their flagship. Forgive a young Google fan boy for ignorance. But I'm at least excited for the fact that Google is going to raise the bar with their swicked phones they'll come out with the next couple of years.

As for the Samsung Celox, I think we'll see a model of some sorts in the US before the year is out.

By the way, any of you seen the concept for Mozilla Seabird? The duel Pico projectors are sick.

Last edited:

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site

*sigh*. Yes, you're posts all make sense and are no doubt right. Like a fool, I forgot that it does have to go through FTC approval, so maybe the Bionic won't be their flagship. Forgive a young Google fan boy for ignorance. But I'm at least excited for the fact that Google is going to raise the bar with their swicked phones they'll come out with the next couple of years.

As for the Samsung Celox, I think we'll see a model of some sorts in the US before the year is out.

By the way, any of you seen the concept for Mozilla Seabird? The duel Pico projectors are sick.

The Seabird could be pretty cool if it ever becomes more than a concept. That's a LOOOONG way off. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see that until everyone who buys the Bionic is up for their NEXT 20 month upgrade :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89