Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default FM Radio not on phone

    WAsnt sure if the Bionic was going to have it- multiple reports said it would. Well it's not there in the app tray but if watch the help videos that are on the phone itself, it shows FM radio as part of it. So, the instructional videos that are shown must not be the bionic, right?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    in the bworley "My Bionic" Thread it was stated that Bionic has the functionality, just needs an "app". Someone posted an FM radio .apk , bworley said he downloaded and installed it and it worked and gave hime FM radio functionality on his Bionic. Just try searching that thread - if you have any problems finding it let me know - I downloaded the .apk when it was posted, although I haven't tried it yet.
    jroc and jax_droid like this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Quote Originally Posted by GBH2 View Post
    in the bworley "My Bionic" Thread it was stated that Bionic has the functionality, just needs an "app". Someone posted an FM radio .apk , bworley said he downloaded and installed it and it worked and gave hime FM radio functionality on his Bionic. Just try searching that thread - if you have any problems finding it let me know - I downloaded the .apk when it was posted, although I haven't tried it yet.
    Here it is guys, I looked too

    FMRadio.apk

    UPDATED URL: http://www.chevynovaln.com/files/APK/FMRadio.apk
    ( Looks like Mediafire.com pulled the file due to 'violation'. Ok then... well, here's my copy i'll host unless i'm told to stop as well.)


    It does work, though it has a requirement that you have a headphone jack (or speaker, etc..) plugged into the jack on the top of the phone for it to even launch the app. I had an old cable that I didn't need so I cut it just past the jack and used that and the FM Radio app pulls up and will play audio via the rear speaker if you tell it to. You will NOT be able to use bluetooth headphones with it, however, due to having the headphone jack in use. It always takes precedence. So if you have a set of wired headphones or want it to play via 'speakerphone', it works great

    I can host the file on my site too if anyone has trouble with mediafire, but I will not do that unless you've at LEAST tried getting it there first.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Man, you guys are both awesome! thank you for hooking me up with the info. I like to listen to the radio when I run.
  5. #5  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,544 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,618 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    What is FM radio?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    What is FM radio?
    Its literally an FM Radio... yanno.. like the one on the 'radio' in your car? Unless you listen to AM Radio.... but FM is most likely it. hehe

    Ok... in all seriousness. This is pretty cool. Install the app and plug some headphones in before you launch it. you can get your favorite radio station 'over the air', its not something that uses data, etc.... its just plain 'ol radio waves.

    EDIT: I'm 'fairly' sure it doesn't use any data. I put my phone in Airplane Mode and then it told me i had to take it out of airplane mode to use FM Radio. Odd.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Works......... LIKE A CHAMP! Thanks for the apk.


    One thing I did notice is it does not like the audio plug on the docks.. Looks like it needs a direct headset connect to the phone for the app to work.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    OK, I am a noob. How do you install the apk file?
  9. #9  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    bah I wish they would remove the audio jack must have the headphone/earphone w.e. inserted to launch the app. So annoying...
  10. #10  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Quote Originally Posted by xjoshuax89 View Post
    bah I wish they would remove the audio jack must have the headphone/earphone w.e. inserted to launch the app. So annoying...
    got around it using the male to male 3.5 jack that came with the Car Navigation kit.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Quote Originally Posted by fogflyer View Post
    OK, I am a noob. How do you install the apk file?
    Fog, on your phone, go to this forum, click on the .apk link that Nova posted then download it. (Make sure your phone will allow apps from thrid parties, settings-applications) Then bam you got an FM radio.
    fogflyer and pchrist11 like this.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazen View Post
    got around it using the male to male 3.5 jack that came with the Car Navigation kit.
    That is exactly what I did using the same type of cable. I just cut 1 end of and it just sticks out of the top of my phone for about an inch

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  13. #13  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNovaLN View Post
    That is exactly what I did using the same type of cable. I just cut 1 end of and it just sticks out of the top of my phone for about an inch

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Eww i didn't cut anything, just left it twisty tied. Left it in the dock listening to my local radio station while cooking dinner and it doesn't bother me having all that hang off. Besides, not trying to win any beauty contests at home and if im at work im headset on anyway LOL.
  14. #14  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,544 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,618 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default

    I can't tell u last time I listened to FM it just sucks. Its satellite radio and internet. And I can use my BT speakers
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNovaLN View Post
    Its literally an FM Radio... yanno.. like the one on the 'radio' in your car? Unless you listen to AM Radio.... but FM is most likely it. hehe

    Ok... in all seriousness. This is pretty cool. Install the app and plug some headphones in before you launch it. you can get your favorite radio station 'over the air', its not something that uses data, etc.... its just plain 'ol radio waves.

    EDIT: I'm 'fairly' sure it doesn't use any data. I put my phone in Airplane Mode and then it told me i had to take it out of airplane mode to use FM Radio. Odd.
  15. #15  
    Gekko's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    fyi - i installed this apk on my EVO just for ****s and giggles. as i suspected - it does not work. the HTC FM Radio App looks better anyway.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    I headphone is probably required to be plugged in because FM radios require an antenna and it is probably using the headphone cable as the antenna. Are those of you putting a small patch cord in there getting decent reception?
  17. #17  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Agreed w fogflyer. Headphone wire acts as fm antenna
  18. #18  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Just downloaded it and it works great.
    Why do you suppose Motorola (or Verizon) would have disabled this function after actually putting the hardware in to do it?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    FM over your phone is cool, but really only free radio I listen to if AM LOL.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Link doesn't work anymore, so look here and read before downloading.
    //http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1257377
  21. #21  
    SnydersWeb's Avatar

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Carrier
    Bionic Stock Kernel

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    FM over your phone is cool, but really only free radio I listen to if AM LOL.
    I have the same problem.. though I still installed it just to have it handy.. my gym has TV's that broadcast in FM frequencies.

    Only big downside is that you can have a headset plugged in and it supersedes Bluetooth playback, so you more/less have to wear the headset you're using.

    I have more/less gotten around the AM thing by getting iHeartRadio. If your local choice AM station is part of the ClearChannel network you can steam it.

    I was ~2.5 hours at the Gym.. streaming bluetooth audio w/that app running streaming data over 4G was just murder on my battery. Phone limped out at ~15%. Ordered extended battery... :-P
  22. #22  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    Quote Originally Posted by SnydersWeb View Post
    I have the same problem.. though I still installed it just to have it handy.. my gym has TV's that broadcast in FM frequencies.

    Only big downside is that you can have a headset plugged in and it supersedes Bluetooth playback, so you more/less have to wear the headset you're using.

    I have more/less gotten around the AM thing by getting iHeartRadio. If your local choice AM station is part of the ClearChannel network you can steam it.

    I was ~2.5 hours at the Gym.. streaming bluetooth audio w/that app running streaming data over 4G was just murder on my battery. Phone limped out at ~15%. Ordered extended battery... :-P
    Thanks for the tip, I'm pretty sure the stuff I listen to is Clear Channel so I will look into it.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    I updated my post on the first page with a link to my website with the file. Looks like Mediafire decided to pull the file, we'll see if I get a request to pull it.
  24. #24  
    Jbairdjr's Avatar

    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    I just installed the APK and works great.
    Wonder why this was left out?
    Also, I dont listen to the radio much, but local sporting events (College, High School, and Hockey) are all on FM radio. Thats why I need it.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: FM Radio not on phone

    It is in the app store- fm radio for $2.00. Plug in your earphones when you install it and it will scan for radio stations in your are and set them up as a list for you. With my ear buds I get great reception and so no more waiting for streaming audio to buffer when I am wanting to listen to NPR while riding the bus.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions