Verizon return policy?

lfegerber

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey All,

So I got my Droid Bionic yesterday - I came from an OG Droid. I do like it, but it was an expensive device and to be honest, I was expecting more. I am most disappointed with the screen, which is pretty bad compared to my OG droid. The blacks look extremely washed out and you can see the pixels really easily.

I'm considering returning it. I know Verizon has a 14 day return policy? Is that flexible? Also....I had the new every two discount from them...so I paid $250 for my phone (I know ...coulda gotten it cheaper else where). I'm worried that if I return my phone, I will lose my new every two discount. Plus....I have to pay a restocking fee. The CSR I talked to said I would.

Anyway....I'm trying to figure out a strategy to get me by until a better phone comes out. Anyone know any good methods? What I would LOVE to do is to keep using this Bionic until maybe the Prime comes out, and then deciding if I want to switch or not. But I don't know if that's possible. Just so you know, I am not ABOVE lying or talking my way out of things =)

Any advice would be appreciated

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to return mine. It would be one thing to lie but if you download color palette app by dev uzumaki, you will see the bionic can not produce true yellow. Certain shades become mustard yellow or have a greenish hue to them. To see this use color palette and set it to rgb mode. Then use the slider to go far right on red and green, far left on blue. That should be yellow. On a brighter note, the green is not bad despite the worries about pentile. Its actually great.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Your choices are to wait out for it, return it now and get one at Costco or something on a 90 day warranty, or wait and sell the phone on eBay if you can't not have a Prime or Vigor or whatever and use the money to buy the phone on retail price. They'll be about the same anyways, but you'll have to pay the restocking fee and you'll have to pay a little more to buy the retail price. And you have to have a smartphone on your plan to keep unlimited data.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
People like you ruin it for everyone else who is honest and goes by the book. I am really annoyed with this attitude. Verizon used to have great options that were better than other companies, but like everything else, they were taken advantage of and now their policies are now back to basics from years ago. YES..........you have the 14 day policy to decide to whether to keep the Bionic or not.......and NO, on the 15th day you won't be able to make a switch. YES, there is a 35.00 restocking fee. They have that for a reason. The phone you return will have to be checked over and become a refurbished device that will be used later on.
People need to think first. If you can't afford it then don't do it. It costs more in the long run for making hasty decisions.
I have dealt with customers like you and it isn't easy. And people who have real issues with their phones and deserve a different device can't be helped unless Retention sees it is fit to help them or if they have insurance or extended warranty. I am glad I am not a rep anymore because of customers like you who take advantage. Do you even know how much is spent on one phone to be sold? If you think the carriers get their phones for nothing and sell them at any price they want, you are completely wrong. It is expensive. Corporate stores and indirect stores get their phones the same way. I am not at liberty to talk about the cost of a device that is sold, but I will tell you they are costly.
If you don't like the phone, then return it graciously and accept the return policy. If you were a business owner and you had a return.........you would expect the customer to adhere to your return policy.

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Depending on how great the Prime is, I might end up replacing my Bionic with it. But if I do I'll end up just buying it without trying to trick or coerce Verizon into returning my Bionic. It would make a good gift for my brother at least.

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
People like you ruin it for everyone else who is honest and goes by the book. I am really annoyed with this attitude. Verizon used to have great options that were better than other companies, but like everything else, they were taken advantage of and now their policies are now back to basics from years ago. YES..........you have the 14 day policy to decide to whether to keep the Bionic or not.......and NO, on the 15th day you won't be able to make a switch. YES, there is a 35.00 restocking fee. They have that for a reason. The phone you return will have to be checked over and become a refurbished device that will be used later on.
People need to think first. If you can't afford it then don't do it. It costs more in the long run for making hasty decisions.
I have dealt with customers like you and it isn't easy. And people who have real issues with their phones and deserve a different device can't be helped unless Retention sees it is fit to help them or if they have insurance or extended warranty. I am glad I am not a rep anymore because of customers like you who take advantage. Do you even know how much is spent on one phone to be sold? If you think the carriers get their phones for nothing and sell them at any price they want, you are completely wrong. It is expensive. Corporate stores and indirect stores get their phones the same way. I am not at liberty to talk about the cost of a device that is sold, but I will tell you they are costly.
If you don't like the phone, then return it graciously and accept the return policy. If you were a business owner and you had a return.........you would expect the customer to adhere to your return policy.

I agree. But in my case, I should not have to settle for a product that can not perform a basic color. Now I understand that there is a restocking fee, but my other option is to ask tech support for three new phones until they admit it's a problem. A company should be able to not charge me a restocking fee in lieu of me wasting brand new phones. It's common sense.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I returned my d3 and got my new every two discount back. Only time that I have ever done that so I can't be sure our is always so

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Also 916, you either signed a contact with the restocking fee info in it or with language that allowed them to as it.

You had a chance to see the phone in the store, it's not like you couldn't jab vetted out prior to purchasing.

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Also 916, you either signed a contact with the restocking fee info in it our with language that allowed them to as it.

You had a chance to see the phone in the store, it's not like you couldn't jab vetted out prior to purchasing.

I believe new contract or not it would get a restocking fee. And part of the issue is that you are right but I shouldn't have to go through a color palette to find that shades of yellow that the phone can not accurately display. Especially on a piece of equipment that costs as much as it does. I do understand that there is a fee, but being honest and realistic should be recognized. Or should I have let them send me a second phone so that they have two refurbs and only get one restock fee from me? They want me to keep the phone so bad they are willing to trade in my phone and give me a new one. I would return that one too. So at what point should both sides compromise? I understand sales and trust me, I love the phone and don't want to return it but at some point vzw sales should think about what I am trying to do. I just don't want to have a phone that doesn't work properly until it is resolved. I have a feeling that the algorithm that controls the way colors and lighting interact can be solved by software, but not letting moto and vzw take me for another wild ride.

Last edited:

_Aurel_

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree. But in my case, I should not have to settle for a product that can not perform a basic color. Now I understand that there is a restocking fee, but my other option is to ask tech support for three new phones until they admit it's a problem. A company should be able to not charge me a restocking fee in lieu of me wasting brand new phones. It's common sense.

You should have researched the phone a little more instead of buying it. The spec sheet clearly said what type of display it uses and I assume the store you bought it from had live uniylt for you to test it out on. I've had some customers who were put off and didn't buy it because of the display while others didn't care. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the phone, it just means that Motorola chose a type of display that has some upsides and some drawbacks and it's a matter of preference if you don't like it, and not a defect.

I would try to not hassle the emlpoyees because the one who sold it already has to take a hit because of your decision. Just pay the restocking fee because you don't have a valid reason to contend it and move on with your life if you decide to return it.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I believe new contract or not it would get a restocking fee. And part of the issue is that you are right but I shouldn't have to go through a color palette to find that shades of yellow that the phone can not accurately display. Especially on a piece of equipment that costs as much as it does. I do understand that there is a fee, but being honest and realistic should be recognized. Or should I have let them send me a second phone so that they have two refurbs and only get one restock fee from me? They want me to keep the phone so bad they are willing to trade in my phone and give me a new one. I would return that one too. So at what point should both sides compromise? I understand sales and trust me, I love the phone and don't want to return it but at some point vzw sales should think about what I am trying to do. I just don't want to have a phone that doesn't work properly until it is resolved. I have a feeling that the algorithm that controls the way colors and lighting interact can be solved by software, but not letting moto and vzw take me for another wild ride.

The phone was on display for you to look at before you bought it and you bought it anyways. The reason the restocking fee exists is because of people like you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your phone, so sack up and pay the restocking fee if you feel like you need to return it. There is nothing you can do or say that will get you out of that, and the sooner you realize that, the better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The phone was on display for you to look at before you bought it and you bought it anyways. The reason the restocking fee exists is because of people like you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your phone, so sack up and pay the restocking fee if you feel like you need to return it. There is nothing you can do or say that will get you out of that, and the sooner you realize that, the better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol to both of you cuz you are both right. I am going to pay the fee. I do feel bad but even the sales guy says he understands and doesn't like the fact that yellow isn't yellow. He will be returning his tomorrow once he gets it in the mail. And for the record, I don't blame the sales crew at the store either. And the display in general is fine, just not certain shades of yellow. Maybe next time I do buy a phone, I will make sure to download a color palette.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is known for not having the best screens and how the colors show. Many people still like Motorola and get them without complaints. For me, it is an issue and I don't like them. So that being said, I am not a Moto user. Having great color is important to me. I prefer HTC. I know the battery life isn't the best and I knew that prior but it didn't keep me from getting an Incredible or upgrading last week to the Thunderbolt. Live units in the stores are there for this purpose........to check out the phones. And if you have to take your time looking and playing, don't let the reps push you into a hasty decision. You are being locked into a two year contract and deserve the time you need to make your decision. If you have to make a couple of visits to the store and also check things on the internet to help you with your decision, then do so. It is your money. Make your choice wisely and to your needs, not the needs of the rep..........they will sell you anything. Don't let someone sway you one way or the other. I don't like how some people think rules can be bent for them. WE ALL HAVE THE SAME RULES TO FOLLOW. There are no exceptions. There is no perfect phone. Every device is going to have a problem. You just have to find one that really suits you and if there is an issue then it is nothing major for you. I love my Thunderbolt.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is known for not having the best screens and how the colors show. Many people still like Motorola and get them without complaints. For me, it is an issue and I don't like them. So that being said, I am not a Moto user. Having great color is important to me. I prefer HTC. I know the battery life isn't the best and I knew that prior but it didn't keep me from getting an Incredible or upgrading last week to the Thunderbolt. Live units in the stores are there for this purpose........to check out the phones. And if you have to take your time looking and playing, don't let the reps push you into a hasty decision. You are being locked into a two year contract and deserve the time you need to make your decision. If you have to make a couple of visits to the store and also check things on the internet to help you with your decision, then do so. It is your money. Make your choice wisely and to your needs, not the needs of the rep..........they will sell you anything. Don't let someone sway you one way or the other. I don't like how some people think rules can be bent for them. WE ALL HAVE THE SAME RULES TO FOLLOW. There are no exceptions. There is no perfect phone. Every device is going to have a problem. You just have to find one that really suits you and if there is an issue then it is nothing major for you. I love my Thunderbolt.
I don't think HTC has the best or for that matter even great color. If that is what is most important to you, I'm surprised you aren't using one of the various Samsung phones that have the Super AMOLED screens.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I prefer HTC and the Sense UI I have no complaints about the screen vivid colors either. I am pleased overall with HTC. It is a personal choice. Samsung doesn't work well in my area. It can't maintain signal. I lose it when dialing. I can't have a device that won't allow me to make a simple phone call.