I am debating getting the 4G Mobile Hotspot on unlimited plan.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Before 4G, I never even considered the 4G Mobile Hotspot as a viable option, but it is really fast. Other than the cost, what is the downside to doing this? I get 20% off of the price of this feature, so the cost would be $24 per month. I figure if I drop the $7 a month insurance and pick up the hotspot, it's only $17 a month. I know the Verizon unlimited plans have limits. Does adding the 4G Mobile Hotspot plan increase this limit at all? I really want this feature so that my Motorola Xoom can use it to access the internet.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Re: I am debating getting the 4G Mobile Hotspot on unlimited plan

I would talk to a sales representative about the impact to your account and billing, but this sounds like a good idea to me.

There will be others that will tell you to Root your Bionic, and use a free Wi-Fi Hotspot program. This is an option, but violates your Terms of Service with Verizon, and they can fine you and/or cancel your contract. Be careful if you do this, and I would NOT advise doing so.

Rhuarc

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

I talked to a verizon person today who verified for me that since I am grandfathered in to unlimited data, that I could add unlimited hotspot tethering for $30 a month.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

How solid is the connection/ reliable say vs a MIFI?

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

How solid is the connection/ reliable say vs a MIFI?

This was another concern I had. I was wondering if the phone functions as well as the 4G Mobile Hotspot devices. Verizon charges $50 for 5GB and $80 for 8GB for those devices, so $24 doesn't sound too bad. I just hate that my bill will go from $230 a month to $247 a month!

bradvoy

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I've used both the mifi and the Bionic hot spot, and they're nearly the same. Using the Bionic runs down the battery quick, so it's really only practical for short periods unless it's plugged in. But it's nice to not carry an additional device.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Reactions: freeky1

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I've used both the mifi and the Bionic hot spot, and they're nearly the same. Using the Bionic runs down the battery quick, so it's really only practical for short periods unless it's plugged in. But it's nice to not carry an additional device.

Thanks! This is great information! This will mainly allow me to use the Xoom at work, so the phone can stay plugged in.

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

I agree. I have both devices (Bionic & 4510L MiFi) no noticeable difference. I ended up buying the extended battery for my Bionic (1/2 off at VZW $25.00) which includes the battery door. I have two regular batteries since I got my Bionic from Costco. With 2 regular and 1 extended battery I'm prepared for occasions when there are no outlets available. I'm considering dumping my MiFi and saving $50/Month. Will test out for another month and then decide if I'll dump the MiFi.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

One down side to hotspot. You can't receive or make a call.

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

One down side to hotspot. You can't receive or make a call.

I can tell you that while I'm on 4g LTE I CAN receive and make phone calls.

As a matter of fact I'm talking on my Bionic while I'm submitting this post and surfing the web. So I can say unequivocally that I can make and receive phone calls while I'm on 4g. Now I've not tried to do that on 3g. Since my area is 4g I've not felt the need to try the same on 3g...

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You may want to consider this post if you intend to use the Xoom, and dont really need wifi for other devices : http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...-android-phone-xoom-no-root-app-required.html
As how fast this connection is i cant say since i sold my galaxy tab just a week ago :)
Anyway taught you might want to know about this option...

This worked with the Droid X, but only temporarily. It does not work at all with the Bionic. It's too bad because I got all excited when I saw that thread back when it first started.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Before 4G, I never even considered the 4G Mobile Hotspot as a viable option, but it is really fast. Other than the cost, what is the downside to doing this? I get 20% off of the price of this feature, so the cost would be $24 per month. I figure if I drop the $7 a month insurance and pick up the hotspot, it's only $17 a month. I know the Verizon unlimited plans have limits. Does adding the 4G Mobile Hotspot plan increase this limit at all? I really want this feature so that my Motorola Xoom can use it to access the internet.

I have the unlimited mobile hotspot @ $24 (Corp Discount). There are two ways you can connect. One is wireless (hotspot) and the second USB tether. You can talk and surf if you're on 4G LTE. If you're on 3G and you get a call, the phone will connect and you will lose your internet connection. Once you complete the call it will reconnect your data connection.

Also I noticed a slight increase in speed when I tether with a USB cable and it will also charge your battery while tethered. The mobile hotspot feature will eat up your battery quickly.

Hope this helps you.

specularius

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site

This worked with the Droid X, but only temporarily. It does not work at all with the Bionic. It's too bad because I got all excited when I saw that thread back when it first started.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Works fine for me.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

wired connection is always faster then wireless.

i'm not on the internet long enough to drain the battery so it's no issue for me.

being a truck driver though. with my evo. i always had it in the car dock. so i just simply fliped the switch. and powered up the laptop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abhishek397