whats wrong with stock apps?

akorcovelos

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Everyone seems to think they have found ways to make their Bionic so much better with all these 3rd party apps that do the exact same thing as the stock apps do. I've been trying all these launchers, message handlers, and browsers people are recommending, and I really can't see any benefit to them over what comes installed on the phone? Is this just a case of people thinking different is better, or am I missing something?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
3rd party is better in my opinion. Running the 3rd party apps out of the box may not show much.
Once you go in and tweek them, the difference is clear.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Everyone seems to think they have found ways to make their Bionic so much better with all these 3rd party apps that do the exact same thing as the stock apps do. I've been trying all these launchers, message handlers, and browsers people are recommending, and I really can't see any benefit to them over what comes installed on the phone? Is this just a case of people thinking different is better, or am I missing something?

For me, it's the fact that I can hide the verizon crapware apps with Launcher Pro and I don't have to look at the non-removable bookmarks with a 3rd party browser. If Verizon allowed you to remove their crap, then that would be one less reason to use the 3rd party apps.

SonicJoe

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

I agree with you, but the great thing about Android is the ability to customize to your liking. Some people want different things. But, with the exception of the bloat, I think the Bionic has a great polished interface.

LrdAnkh#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the original poster, I find that for the most part stock apps are fine and work great, all this talk about how great this browser or that one is I have not seen and have tried them all. I have added some 3rd party apps that are not covered at all by the stock apps but other than that i have yet to substitute any stock app with a 3rd party even after you tweak them, for my take it is all hype.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Its totally and completely personal preference. Different people want their apps to do different things and look different ways. Thats the reason there are hundreds of apps that do the same thing. Your phone experience is unique to you. If there are third party apps that enhance that, then go ahead and use them, If stock apps do everything you want, stick with those. You're the one using your phone, not all these people that are suggesting thing to you, so go with whatever works best for you. There is no clear cut answer for everyone so stick with what works for you.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
One difference: subtle maybe, but in my opinion better: Handcent SMS has a "popup" feature that brings your txt messages to the forefront, even if device is locked.

the 3rd party launchers have a TON of features that the stock launcher does not have. Play around with them, you'll see. The beauty is, most of them are free, so if you don't like them, go back to the stock apps.

potermac

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Also some of their apps like to make them money and you can get the same thing for free 3rd party.
you mail is like visual voicemail but free.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
A 3rd party SMS app is a must. I use GO SMS. I can personalize notifications for each contact. I can change the led color, icon in status bar color, and ringtone for each contact within the app's settings. I know who a text message is from before I even open my messenger app.
Another thing I noticed was that you can't delete multiple messages with the stock app in one click. You have to click the check mark next to each message. If you're trying to clear quite a few text messages, this can take some time. For those that do not text much, this wouldn't pose a problem for them.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

LrdAnkh#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
One difference: subtle maybe, but in my opinion better: Handcent SMS has a "popup" feature that brings your txt messages to the forefront, even if device is locked.

the 3rd party launchers have a TON of features that the stock launcher does not have. Play around with them, you'll see. The beauty is, most of them are free, so if you don't like them, go back to the stock apps.

This can be very dangerous depending on the text you are receiving and if the wrong person picks up your phone as it arrives, I prefer locking and getting to things in my own way and in my own time.

tonofmort

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the first post, mostly. I never had a problem with the stock messenger and the homescreen setup of the htc incredible and original droid, and the Bionic stock messenger is fine too. I will say that I like Dolphin HD browser over the stock just because of some of its special features like the gesture programming.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I use the stock browser 90% of the time, but there are times I will need the Dolphin browser. Especially for those times when I need to take a screen capture of certain parts of a webpage or the entire page. Especially for those times when I make an online transaction and need a copy of the page for my proof.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Like others have said, one of the great things about Android is that it gives you choices. At least you're given the option to replace certain apps with alternatives if you'd like to, unlike other operating systems. Personally, I always replace the stock text messaging and e-mail apps with Handcent SMS and K9 Mail due to the added flexibility.

akorcovelos

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
all good points, I can see some uses for 3rd party apps. I myself use OperaMini as a browser, mostly because I came from a BlackBerry and that was a must since RIMs native browser is horrible. I guess as I get to know my Droid I'll find some uses for apps that cover features the stock stuff doesn't.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty