Do only Motorola-manufactured cables work with Bionic?

k80lady

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
This isn't one I've seen tackled yet but I can use any info I can get! Got my Bionic yesterday as part of a corporate purchase, and I'm one of the first to roll it out. We have oodles of micro-USB cables here that we've purchased for use with our old Droids, but none of them seem to work to charge or use to connect our Bionics to our PCs. We usually purchase cables from Cables2Go and they worked fine with our old Droids. We test-drove a couple of Charges, with the same problem, and didn't like them so opted for a group purchase of the Bionics. Would hate to see all those cables go to waste (especially hate having to buy a bunch of new ones). We also tried an existing LG cable which also didn't work. Anybody out there using off-brand cables with success? Both Verizon and Cables2Go have told us the non-Motorola cables "should" work but that hasn't translated into reality so far. Thanks.

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I use my Blackberry micro-USB charger and the Logitech version from my wireless mouse. Both have been charging my Bionic fine for the past two weeks.

Vato805

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
This isn't one I've seen tackled yet but I can use any info I can get! Got my Bionic yesterday as part of a corporate purchase, and I'm one of the first to roll it out. We have oodles of micro-USB cables here that we've purchased for use with our old Droids, but none of them seem to work to charge or use to connect our Bionics to our PCs. We usually purchase cables from Cables2Go and they worked fine with our old Droids. We test-drove a couple of Charges, with the same problem, and didn't like them so opted for a group purchase of the Bionics. Would hate to see all those cables go to waste (especially hate having to buy a bunch of new ones). We also tried an existing LG cable which also didn't work. Anybody out there using off-brand cables with success? Both Verizon and Cables2Go have told us the non-Motorola cables "should" work but that hasn't translated into reality so far. Thanks.
yea im using a micro usb i got from monoprice.com for .81 cents its 6ft length

kematocha

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

My wife's cable from her LG will charge my phone but won't do data. Both my motorola cables work for data. So yeah they probably made it that way. Guessing all they would have to do is switch the data pair on the phone end.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have some cheap cables that will only charge and not do data. Every cable I've got from Monoprice though works for both charging and data. No idea what the difference is, but zero problems with the Monoprice or Motorola cables.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I use my BB cable to transfer data from computer - works fine. The car charger that Verizon sold me in my Bionic bundle package was Verizon's name on the box...did mention Moto at all.

WarEagleVI

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've used micro USB cables sold by Radio Shack, Crackberry and Motorola and have had no problems charging or accessing the files on my Bionic.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how much help this will be but its worth a shot. I only saw it once and can't find it in settings. When you have your phone connected go to the notification bar. I believe there should be an icon there about connection options or settings. If you tap it you should have the option to change the USB connection to Data, Data/Charge, or Charge. Like I said I only saw it once when I had my phone hooked up to transfer some files so my description may not be entirely accurate, but I hope it at least points you in the right direction.

kcrandall758

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

I can successful charge my girlfriends Bionic with multiple cords, all made by varying manufacturers (including HTC, Samsung, and a Wal-Mart brand). I also rooted her phone with a non-Moto cord.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

The official answer is maybe. According to Motorola, the Bionic is designed so that only Moto cables will work for USB charging/data. Some people are able to use other cables, some aren't. If you're lucky enough to make it work with another cable, great. If not, don't look for help from Motorola. They know that not all cables work and they have said that they won't be fixing that because that is the way it was designed.
I read that on another site. If I can find the link to that I'll post it.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Had issues with a longer cord I bought since the Moto one was so short. Was causing the screen to have issues (and not read where I was pressing properly). Very annoying, came across the Technical Bulletin for the Bionic at Android Forums (link to thread):

9/22/11 Non-branded Chargers:
The XT875 can only be charged with Motorola or Verizon Wireless branded chargers.
Action: No work around required.
Resolution: No resolution required, working as designed and approved by Verizon Wireless.
• 9/22/11 USB Cables:
The XT875 can only be used with Motorola USB cables.
Action: No work around required.
Resolution: No resolution required, working as designed and approved by Verizon Wireless.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My car charger bought from a gas station charges just fine.

Using a cable from a Fascinate with works fine for charges, usb mass storage, and usb tethering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress