2 Step Verification and Beyond

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Hi-
Been pulling my hair out for the last 6-7 hrs. with Play Store and Google Pay 'features' and their affiliation with
Google Security. Oh, by the way, this is all happening on a 2 mo. old Motorola Edge+ 2023 running Android 13,
Build # T1TR33.43-48-41.

What's happened is that we went to the Play Store to purchase an App and payment was declined. Our attached
Payment Method is PayPal, and we had just purchased an App a couple of weeks ago with no issues.
Checked everything with PayPal and my bank attached to PayPal and all's well. Sooo, the Googling venture began!

I connected with Google Pay, and they led me off to an outfit called Plaid. Both have my payment info and I can not
rescind it after not being able how to figure them out. I can't even edit/remove any pay sources in Play Store without
having to jump through all of these new fangled Google Security hoops. There seems to be something wrong with the
'Verify It's You' segment. Something's happened within this phone since I made the last purchase 2 weeks ago.

We've tried pretty much every conceivable combination in the Security section of our Google Account, to no avail.
Just keep getting kicked out at the Manage Your Google Account>Security>Signing in to Google>SECURITY CODE.
Sure, they send me 2 strings of 10 digit codes but both are rejected. The Time Sync on Authenticator is fine, 2 Factor
Verification is on, Pass Keys enabled but seem not to work, either.

So, here I am at Android Central, hoping one of the guru's here can save me on this. I'll try to attach some screenshots
of the events in sequence and see where this goes. If more info is needed, just please ask.

Sure would be grateful for any and all help on this..... Thanks!-

Timbo

Screenshot_20231212-013228_2.png
Screenshot_20231212-013000_2.png
Screenshot_20231212-013015_3.png
Screenshot_20231212-013030_3.png
Screenshot_20231212-013050_3.png
Screenshot_20231212-013318_2.png

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Sorry you're running into so much trouble! Have you tried contacting Google Pay support directly? Go to this page and click the Contact Us button at the bottom: https://support.google.com/googlepay/?hl=en#topic=13624541
No, I haven't..... am kinda thinking it's more in the Security department. Did attempt to contact Google, to no avail. Just got a snobby AI bot that had zero comprehension skills. Apparently their human support was closed, will try again tomorrow. Just not to thrilled with my payment info floating around out there and I've zero control over it.
This Android 13 does seem quirky to me at this point.....also, this Edge+ has got some issues with the Edge Lights. Not too keen on sending back to Motorola and getting something worse in return. Not very impressed with the tech support in today's world. Not very knowledgeable personnel, to say the least. I could go on and on about this, but why. It's the world we live in, I guess.

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Instead of Passkey, select Try Another Way, then select Tap yes on your phone or Tablet option.
Good luck
The 'Try another way' option just kept cycling me in circles. Presently, we've got 2SV active with Passkey and phone number.

Not sure what we did, but it seems to work now....as mentioned earlier, 13 is proving quite buggy compared to 8.
I'm no power user, have no need to be- form follows function with me.

Finally got PayPal to work again in Play Store....had to go on Windows 7 (yeah, I know!) and clean things up in Google Acct. and PayPal there, cleared cache and data in Play Store and Play Services, Google, Chrome, etc. on phone, and though PayPal was still showing in Play Store Payments and subscriptions, Google, Inc. wasn't showing in PayPal acct. So, we just Added PP again in Play Store, made an app purchase, and it worked.

Technology WILL be the downfall of humanity. Anyone who claims Big Tech orgs, like Google, Meta, whatever, are getting better, well....they need to get their collective head's examined.
Google, and others, are getting worse with all this foreign, untrained support and forums....these 'agents' would better serve humanity by simply establishing a career at McDonald's, stuffing burgers in a bag- their sure as hell not qualified to offer up any valid technical advice/support.

And then there's this 'plausible deniability' BS that corporations are brainwashing the help into adopting.
Go figure.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you got it figured out! Sorry I couldn't be very useful here -- I have PayPal connected to my Google Pay, but have never tried to use it, so I don't know how successful I'd be either! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Timbo72

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Glad you got it figured out! Sorry I couldn't be very useful here -- I have PayPal connected to my Google Pay, but have never tried to use it, so I don't know how successful I'd be either! :LOL:
I just now need to figure way to get my PayPal dissociated from Google Pay and the Plaid associate.

My thoughts are that I've got an extra layer of protection via PayPal, versus attaching a credit or bank card.

Hey, appreciate all the interest and participation on this thread.
Participation trophies will be handed out at the 1st Annual Android Central Banquet. :ROFLMAO::cool:(y)

THANKS, ALL! 🙌

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Should be able to visit here - https://myaccount.google.com/payments-and-subscriptions, go to Manage Payment Methods and just 'Remove' PayPal.
Yeah, but that'll remove from Play Store, too....we got that to finally work by clearing cache on relevant apps and simply re-adding PayPal in Play Store.
Something glitched/stuck in Play Store first go around, so it seems.

I know that with each new Android OS upgrade more features are added to appease customers-ie- loading more crack in the pipe!- but the glitches multiply. Developers are using the customers in the wild to 'test and tune' the product rather than debug internally prior to release. That's what Open Source does- Google gets richer at the expense of our frustrations. I've got other hobby interests and don't need Google and Microsoft to join the list. Android and Windows are merely tools for me, NOT play toys.

Capisce.jpg

Thanks for contributing, though! 👍

Reactions: winmod21 and Bla1ze

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29