We got pwned by the RAZR!!

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh my God! The RAZR came in my house, stole the battery out of my Bionic, cracked the screen, and took half the RAM. Oh wait. It didn't.

Honestly I can't say I'm all that impressed. .2ghz speed bump? The Bionic will be overclocked soon enough, and it's plenty fast as it is. Same RAM, same size screen. I've handled the SAMOLED screens before and they are pretty, but also suck battery life and suck in the sun. I use my phone outdoors or in the car a LOT, and having a screen that is bright and clear in the sun is a must. The pentile matrix doesn't bother me a bit, maybe just because I don't have 20/20 vision but it isn't an issue.

I'm getting great battery life, super fast downloads, and can run any app or process on my phone without it bogging down. I don't expect I'll start seeing any hiccups until RAZR owners are as well.

I don't like the design of the ports on the top of the phone either. I use my phone with it plugged quite a bit as well, and that top port design wouldn't work well for that. I'm not going to shell out for dock when my cupholder does just fine. The top mounted USB would be a hindrance to me though.

All in all, I'm still happy with my Bionic. I've had zero trouble with it since I got it. The wife has an upgrade coming soon, and we'll likely get either the RAZR, Nexus, or another Bionic. It honestly will depend on what deals we find on the handset itself, because to me they're too similar to care too much.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
At least you didn't buy a thunderbolt...we're 4 phones behind now, and we had 20x more problems than you have.

Yea that....I bought a TB and on my 14th day returned it. Nothing but wonkiness out of the gate and since returning it and watching the continuing debacle, I'm glad I did.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
lol such a stupid thread. If when you bought the Bionic you thought it was going to be the end all, be all of smartphones then you deserve to consider your self "pwned".

There will ALWAYS be a faster, cooler, more appealing phone in the horizon. If you havent figured that out by now, I dont know what to tell you.

I personally do not like the RAZR, I think its ugly and a non-removable battery is brutal for an LTE device that is going to suck juice like nothing.

You really don't have a clue. It's not about something better coming along. That's obvious. What it's about is the same manufacturer, for the same carrier, releasing a better phone to one-up their brand new flagship phone, after one and a half months. It's unprecedented. Tell me another company that has released a flagship phone, and marketed it as such, only to turn around and one up that phone on the same carrier, one and a half months later? I'm waiting.....

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
You really don't have a clue. It's not about something better coming along. That's obvious. What it's about is the same manufacturer, for the same carrier, releasing a better phone to one-up their brand new flagship phone, after one and a half months. It's unprecedented. Tell me another company that has released a flagship phone, and marketed it as such, only to turn around and one up that phone on the same carrier, one and a half months later? I'm waiting.....

Ya, you are right. Look at apple. They would NEVER do that. Its just more of a conformation that this is what the Bionic should have been.

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Cry me a river lol. The Bionic and RAZR are different in several ways. They are both great devices that will cater to different crowds.

I for one would still pick the Bionic over the RAZR if they were released on the exact same day. Thats the great thing about android, we get to pick and choose from a slew of devices instead of being stuck with one form factor.

Motorola is out to make money, OMG NO! what company does that! The Bionic was delayed for so long, but we all knew they wouldnt just crap it. So of course they are going to release the next phone they had in-line on its schedule.........

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
What will the Razr cater to thats different than the Bionic??

different batteries - Again I prefer being able to remove and replace my own battery.

different screens - I prefer the pentile display, it looks great outdoors and I spend alot of time outside.

different form - I personally think the RAZR is ugly, I dont like the corners on the device at all and could care less if its thinner.

And then there is the other side of the specturm, im sure there are plenty of people who feel just the opposite....hence caters to different crowds.

Last edited:
Reactions: corymcnutt

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
different batteries - Again I prefer being able to remove and replace my own battery.

different screens - I prefer the pentile display, it looks great outdoors and I spend alot of time outside.

different form - I personally think the RAZR is ugly, I dont like the corners on the device at all and could care less if its thinner.

+1000
Also why are you even here "contributing" to this thread, jojocal? You don't even have a bionic so you're literally doing nothing but stir the pot and try to tick off some bionic owners. Thankfully there are enough reasonably intelligent, rational people here to understand how the world works and be able to be happy with their great phone without panicking every time a new thing comes out.

Reactions: mbentley3

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
+1000
Also why are you even here "contributing" to this thread, jojocal? You don't even have a bionic so you're literally doing nothing but stir the pot and try to tick off some bionic owners. Thankfully there are enough reasonably intelligent, rational people here to understand how the world works and be able to be happy with their great phone without panicking every time a new thing comes out.

Defensive much? I was unaware ownership of a Bionic was a prerequisite to posting here. He makes a very logical point, and one I agree with as a Bionic owner. Moto/VZW pitched the Bionic as a flagship just to replace it in a little over a month. Not cool in my book.

Can you still like your Bionic? Of course. I'm sure tons of users are 100% satisfied. But that doesn't mean it's not a disappointing and frustrating move by Moto. It really makes it seem as though they just wanted to break even on the Bionic project and move on to greener pastures.

Reactions: JoJoCal19

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Defensive much? I was unaware ownership of a Bionic was a prerequisite to posting here. He makes a very logical point, and one I agree with as a Bionic owner. Moto/VZW pitched the Bionic as a flagship just to replace it in a little over a month. Not cool in my book.

Can you still like your Bionic? Of course. I'm sure tons of users are 100% satisfied. But that doesn't mean it's not a disappointing and frustrating move by Moto. It really makes it seem as though they just wanted to break even on the Bionic project and move on to greener pastures.

IMO it should ONLY frustrate you if Moto screwed Bionic owners over by giving them a crap phone when an awesome phone was right around the corner. This is not the case. The Bionic is a GREAT phone. The only word I'd bother using to describe the fact that they went from one flagship to the next so quickly is... silly. It is indeed very silly. But so what, still love my phone and its a phone that will last for a long time.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
IMO it should ONLY frustrate you if Moto screwed Bionic owners over by giving them a crap phone when an awesome phone was right around the corner. This is not the case. The Bionic is a GREAT phone. The only word I'd bother using to describe the fact that they went from one flagship to the next so quickly is... silly. It is indeed very silly. But so what, still love my phone and its a phone that will last for a long time.

If I walked into a VZW store TODAY, and put the Bionic and the RAZR side by side to decide which one to buy, it wouldn't even be close. You are missing my point. I'm not here to bash on the Bionic. I'm saying that Moto/VZW basically blatantly lied to consumers knowing they were about to push another flagship into the market.

Did you see the nice presentation they had? Now it seems pretty clear as to why all the Bionic got was a press release.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

You might not have to wait much longer. If Samsung announces tonight that they are releasing the Nexus on carriers other than Verizon(which is very likely) then they will be doing the exact same thing with having just released the GS2.
And even if the Nexus is a Verizon only device, Samsung has another phone that just passed through the FCC. Its rumored to be the Galaxy S3. It has LTE and is probably headed to Verizon, so soon after the Nexus(maybe within 2-3 months), there will likely be a Galaxy S3 to upstage that.
The way technology is moving, I expect soon that everyone except Apple will be releasing new "flagship" phones at a faster pace. Before you could count on it taking close to a year, then it was 6 months, i can see it happening every 2-3 months now. That's what innovation and technology is all about.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If I walked into a VZW store TODAY, and put the Bionic and the RAZR side by side to decide which one to buy, it wouldn't even be close. You are missing my point. I'm not here to bash on the Bionic. I'm saying that Moto/VZW basically blatantly lied to consumers knowing they were about to push another flagship into the market.

Did you see the nice presentation they had? Now it seems pretty clear as to why all the Bionic got was a press release.

How did they lie? When, exactly, did either Moto or VZW state to anyone that the Bionic would be their flagship device for XX amount of days/weeks/months? Show me the quote to support your statement that they "blatantly lied".

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
You might not have to wait much longer. If Samsung announces tonight that they are releasing the Nexus on carriers other than Verizon(which is very likely) then they will be doing the exact same thing with having just released the GS2.
And even if the Nexus is a Verizon only device, Samsung has another phone that just passed through the FCC. Its rumored to be the Galaxy S3. It has LTE and is probably headed to Verizon, so soon after the Nexus(maybe within 2-3 months), there will likely be a Galaxy S3 to upstage that.
The way technology is moving, I expect soon that everyone except Apple will be releasing new "flagship" phones at a faster pace. Before you could count on it taking close to a year, then it was 6 months, i can see it happening every 2-3 months now. That's what innovation and technology is all about.

Nexus and GSII are different devices - stock, vanilla experience v. TouchWiz, etc. And like you pointed out but seemed to dismiss as irrelevant for some reason, the Nexus will be coming to VZW and NOT the carriers that just got the GSII for quite some time.

And as for the GSIII, that's a ways to go, especially for stateside.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
How did they lie? When, exactly, did either Moto or VZW state to anyone that the Bionic would be their flagship device for XX amount of days/weeks/months? Show me the quote to support your statement that they "blatantly lied".

Marketing a device as "control it, and you control all machines" and hyping it as the best Android device around was misleading. Please. I'm not going to explain to you how inferences work. It was logical to believe that Moto/VZW wasn't going to be pushing out another dual core, LTE Android device in a month.

Reactions: JoJoCal19

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
+1000

I'm posting here for several reasons. One, I love technology, two, I love cell phones, three, I love Android, four, I happen to like Moto phones so I follow their releases (Owned OG Droid, X, among several other Android devices), and lastly, because when the Bionic was announced at CES, I fell in LOVE with it and had been waiting since for it. Once it was FINALLY released, it was too late as I had seen some more high end devices to be released shortly after it so I decided to pass. I went to the store and spent an hour with it and decided it wasn't right for ME. I'm not saying it isn't right for those who decided to buy it. Either way you can't deny that Moto releasing the RAZR this soon isn't a slap in the face, even if you are perfectly content with the Bionic. And by all means, you should be ok with the Bionic, it's still a really good phone. Doesn't mean it's still not a d!ck move by Moto to one up it's flagship phone so soon.

Pretty much.

Look, let's say after I bought the iPhone 4S just now, let's say Apple released the TRUE iPhone 5 in December. I'd be pissed! Even if I think that yes my iPhone 4S is a great phone and I'm happy with it. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be a crappy move on Apple's part.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

If Samsung released the Nexus on Sprint/ATT/TMO then yes it'd be tantamount to the same thing. But they are not and it will be some months before they get it.

That's extremely LAUGHABLE if you think Verizon is getting the SGS III anytime soon. Verizon would do well to get the SGS III by next September.

Your example isn't the same as what's being done by Moto.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Lol how is saying I like my phone and am not going to freak out every time a new phone comes out, being a wet blanket?

And dave, weren't you and I discussing in another thread this exact conundrum, and if I'm not mistaken you were all for being happy with a great phone you have and not going nuts for the new thing?

In any case I'm only trying to make a small point, and just shake my head when about 1-3 times a week there's a new thread in here with someone ranting about a new phone and how unhappy they are to be stuck with the bionic. It's just so pointless. Whatever tho, no need to bicker, you guys can all lament all you like, obviously.

I agree in the general sense that there's no keeping up with the latest (unless one is obscenely rich), but coming so soon after the Bionic, I suspect my wife will trade hers in for the RAZR--I mean WHY NOT? :)

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It will be interesting to see if yet another 4G phone making it's way to Verizon dissuades the iPhonenatics from sticking with Cupertino's wares.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What do you call this?

Click to view quoted image

I do agree this phone is not a HUGE deal. It would be if Verizon wasn't getting the Nexus. I think this phone will be forgotten once the Nexus is unveiled.

ah, don't be so sure--Moto is known for some pretty fine features such as great sound quality and clear, loud speakers. Samsung's not so great in that dept. there will be fans on either side of the Moto/Sammy fence, for sure.

(I've listened to the SGS2--it is inferior to the Bionic in that dept, as well as it's screen be harder to read in bright sunlight--I compared them side by side with max brightness)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87