Data Drop

JerryRogan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Some of you think the data drop is equipment related. I have a Bionic and Xoom and a friend has an HTC Thunderbolt. We both have experienced numerous drops over the past few weeks.

I guess that's the price we pay for being pioneers with Verizon.

What I would hope is that a Knowldgeable Verizon rep would jump in and tell us what's going on! Perhaps "Knowledgeable Verizon Rep" is just another oxymoron!

PapaSean

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has been having coverage issues over the last few weeks. 4G and 3G networks down depending on where you are. My area seems to be up and running fine for about a week now though.

mbar9607

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
we pay high prices for service and phones and have numerous outages and get nothing done about it but told sorry its being fixed....total BS

JerryRogan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I spent a bit of time with the 4G techs today. They claim the problem lies with the Motorola 4G radio. They had me set my Bionic and Xoom to 3G only.

Long story short, 3G hasn't dropped out on either device for several hours. Maybe there is something to their tale...

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Its not the 4g radio made be motorola. The radio is fine. My bionic had worked perfectly with no data drops since the 893 update. I think the problem is verizons towers in certain locations, people not trying factory resets, or dud phones. Could be a bad sim too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

stuatc

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been to a VZW store twice now with data issues on my Bionic. I am getting more data drops since the update and most days when i turn my phone on, i have no data. I have to do Airplane mode to get data. Of note, I live in a 3g only area and have 4g turned off on my phone (recent surgery keeping me at home and in 3g land). The VZW reps feel is is one of the apps on my phone (I have nothing out of the ordinary on my Bionic). Funny, the manager at VZW told me the recent update didn't really fix the data issue but the rep who spent time with me looked up the issue and told me the data drop was resolved by the recent update. I asked him at what point this is a hardware issue, he said after I do a factory reset and the problem exists then maybe. Does this really have a chance at helping?

I will also add that I got my Bionic on launch day so it's an early version. I am thinking of calling VZW tech support, maybe they will be more willing to do something? Any suggestions appreciated.

JerryRogan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting link. Part of my call to Verizon yesterday included them "Pushing" some type of authentication patch to both my Bionic and Xoom. Things have worked better ever since!

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been to a VZW store twice now with data issues on my Bionic. I am getting more data drops since the update and most days when i turn my phone on, i have no data. I have to do Airplane mode to get data. Of note, I live in a 3g only area and have 4g turned off on my phone (recent surgery keeping me at home and in 3g land). The VZW reps feel is is one of the apps on my phone (I have nothing out of the ordinary on my Bionic). Funny, the manager at VZW told me the recent update didn't really fix the data issue but the rep who spent time with me looked up the issue and told me the data drop was resolved by the recent update. I asked him at what point this is a hardware issue, he said after I do a factory reset and the problem exists then maybe. Does this really have a chance at helping?

I will also add that I got my Bionic on launch day so it's an early version. I am thinking of calling VZW tech support, maybe they will be more willing to do something? Any suggestions appreciated.

Could be a rouge app. I had some issues before I rooted and froze bloatware. Factory reset does help issues sometimes. Updates sometimes like a clean system. Warning: don't factory reset if bloatware is frozen. Make sure you are totally stock or totally stock rooted first.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Interesting link. Part of my call to Verizon yesterday included them "Pushing" some type of authentication patch to both my Bionic and Xoom. Things have worked better ever since!

Sounded like a sim issue then. I'm glad it's working now.

stuatc

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have asked 2 VZW stores for a new sim card to help resolve this issue but both stores said they would not do that. I called tech support and after going thru some basics with me, they offered to send me a new sim card to see if that helps. If not, the rep said they would send me another bionic. I told him that two stores refused to give me another sim, he couldn't believe it. Will see what happens, sim arriving tomorrow.

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I just got a my new sim card and I verizon tech support said if I have 3g now not to activate it... they are having problems with the network and she didn't know if she could get me on. It looks like its a network issue not a phone issue.

AndroidUser35463

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I found something that greatly helped my data drop issues with my bionic I wanted to share, but a little background on my issue to see if it is the same one you all are having: I live in an urban area -- frequently ride underground trains, go in underground parking decks, and there are sky scrapers all over the place. Have had REALLY bad data drop problems. It was to the point that I could reproduce the issue easily 100% of the time with little effort. Briefly go into an area with no signal (e.g. underground parking deck) and then hop back into the street and it'd be solid 5 minutes+ before data service was restored (My first generation droid it was ~2-7 seconds to get data service back). Anyway, with my bionic, I'd have full signal, voice calls worked no problem. Facebook? streaming audio? not happening. It would also just randomly drop and not work (can't reliably reproduce that, but the parking deck trick works consistently). Sometimes flipping between airplane mode and back again would restore it, sometimes not.

Anyway, I installed an app - open signal map. Greatly reduced the number of times this happens to me. I uninstalled the app, rebooted the phone, and the problem was back. I've got open signal map set to upload data in the foreground only and minimum charting in the background. This *greatly* improved my experience with the bionic and wanted to share - especially in my environment where data drops happen constantly. Haven't noticed a battery impact, but I am using the extended battery and am a pretty heavy user anyway.

Would be curious if this helps others. I'd also be curious if others have noticed the issue where they go into an area with no signal the phone won't reestablish data service upon re-entering a covered area.

speedy0339

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon about this on my razr maxx, he told me to call *228 which did some re-provisioning, and so far I haven't had 4g drop. Hope this helps!!

tennvol

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised tech support told you to dial 228. I've always heard that 228 would fry a 4g card and is only for use with 3g devices.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I called Verizon about this on my razr maxx, he told me to call *228 which did some re-provisioning, and so far I haven't had 4g drop. Hope this helps!!

I was also always told the *228 does not work for 4g phones due to the sim card. Removal and replacing of the sim was what I was told to do if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52