Car window mount and battery temp

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the car windshield mount that I use pretty regularly. I have noticed that if I place the phone in the mount without using any think else (GPS, music, etc), the battery seems to get really warm to the touch. Battery Monitor says 110-115 degrees, and I assume that's just from charging. When I use the "official included" home charger, my battery gets no where near that warm. Supposedly, both the car and home charger are the same volts and amps. So what is the car dock doing to cause these temps?

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the car windshield mount that I use pretty regularly. I have noticed that if I place the phone in the mount without using any think else (GPS, music, etc), the battery seems to get really warm to the touch. Battery Monitor says 110-115 degrees, and I assume that's just from charging. When I use the "official included" home charger, my battery gets no where near that warm. Supposedly, both the car and home charger are the same volts and amps. So what is the car dock doing to cause these temps?

Only thing I can think of is your car charger isn't very good, or the phone just gets hot from being in the direct sunlight while charging.
Turn off data too, see if that does anything.

kuklaki

May 3, 2012
Visit site
The phone being mounted on the dash/window made a difference on my phone in regards to heat. If I removed it from that area and charged it lower in the car (out of direct sunlight) it did not get near as hot...however, the car charge still ran hotter than in the home. I bought a new charger and did not have the same heat issue after that.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Time for a test. Vehicle is in the shade, windows down, no direct sunlight. Going to set the phone in the dock for a bit just to see what happens. Results to follow.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I placed the phone in the car dock for about an hour and the battery never got over 95 degrees. Turns out, after downloading and installing Android Assistant that I had an app installed that automatically turned on GPS anytime the phone was docked. After discovering that, the phone stayed cool. Now I expect it to get warm when running GPS or screaming music, but now it should stay cool.