ICS next week?

zentiques

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Daughter transitioned well from web top 2 to 3 on a 500 with her Maxx. Connected my wife's stock bionic with GB to the 500 and she now has web top 3.0 on her phone and driving the lap dock without ICS. Limited time to explore further but will update when I can.

goatrope53

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
... Personally, I'm going to factory reset when we get to OTA to give a nice clean start on a brand new OS.

Samuri, forgive my noobness, but if I followed HoB to a 238 leak update, a factory reset followed by a fresh flash of 905 would take a Bionic back to a status that would accept the OTA?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You ARE pulling my chain with that, right? I KNOW you can't seriously be asking. Cause I'm sick of warning people about 235+ and how you can *NEVER GO BACK TO 905*. I don't know how many times I have to say that before people will get that through their heads. :( I made it VERY clear in my HoB thread. I've said it about a billion times on pretty much every ICS thread for Bionic. Yet, here we are....

Reactions: min_is_3 and Ry

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if people are confused about what exactly a factory reset is. I know I was (and in some respects still a bit) at first. I thought it was like the phone would wipe everything, os and all, and then reinstall whatever version was on at the factory from a protected partition. I now know that isn't the case, but could see where that line of thinking could lead people to question your warnings, no matter how often you say them.

goatrope53

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Your bio line shows you on 238. You stated that you intend to do a factory reset to prepare for the OTA. I *KNOW* what your warnings were, sir, and I don't appreciate being lectured. But when I see the ROM you are running, and that statement, it appeared there was some method you intended to employ.

I appreciate your hard work. I don't appreciate the tone of response to a reasonable question. Trust me, I won't repeat the mistake.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You should be on my side of things. It's fun when people don't bother reading. You say you KNOW my warnings. Do you KNOW what the ramifications are to them? A factory reset does nothing but delete your data directory and cache. That's IT. It does NOT touch your system in any way. Root will not even be affected by a factory reset. Anyway, I'm glad you KNOW. When the OTA comes out, you'll figure out how to install it I'm sure.

goatrope53

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Truly, I don't know anything. I obviously erred in believing I might learn here. My apologies for troubling you sir, and best wishes to you and this forum.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i do't know how any of you can say 232 is rock solid.

my email and my gmail aren't working properly and i can't play my music. plus no way to add widgets. and an occasional freeze up.or screen stutter or going to sleep and not waking up.

i've hated this phone since day one with all it's quirks. and this 232 is leaving me more helpless for a phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

my email and my gmail aren't working properly and i can't play my music. plus no way to add widgets. and an occasional freeze up.or screen stutter or going to sleep and not waking up.

i've hated this phone since day one with all it's quirks. and this 232 is leaving me more helpless for a phone.

Because my email (Hotmail via Exchange) and Gmail work properly.

Google Play Music plays music just fine.

And lol. No way to add widgets?? Please explain.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Daughter transitioned well from web top 2 to 3 on a 500 with her Maxx. Connected my wife's stock bionic with GB to the 500 and she now has web top 3.0 on her phone and driving the lap dock without ICS. Limited time to explore further but will update when I can.

Wait what? Your wife's stock Bionic on Gingerbread is somehow running Web Top 3.0 without ICS?

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
hold your finger on the screen. there's no widget. only pictures.the widget feature is missing.

gmail does not work properly. neither does aol.

google play music doesn't pick up my albums.and it tells me to download rocket something. none of the music players can play music. they either can't read the file or name tag.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site

When you rebooted your phone into stock recovery after taking the OTA to .905, before installing ICS, did you wipe system, dalvik and cache? I know those steps were not in the "official" .232 install guide but it just made sense to do since we were going from GB to ICS. I had a few quirky issues the first time I flashed ICS but sent back and wiped system/dalvik/cache and all is well.

Sorry you're having issues but it does sound like you got some 2.3 lingering.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That's why I was talking about a factory reset earlier. A lot of times upgrading from one OS to another (I.E. GB to ICS) will be ok. It's not much different than upgrading from windows 7 to windows 8...except the ICS upgrade actually, you know, works. :D Factory reset will wipe your system and user data and give you a clean start. That's what I did on 238 and my phone has never run better. A lot of times the "I'm going to another build because..." posts are more to do with corrupt system data than the version they're on.

Reactions: goatrope53

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
hold your finger on the screen. there's no widget. only pictures.the widget feature is missing.

gmail does not work properly. neither does aol.

google play music doesn't pick up my albums.and it tells me to download rocket something. none of the music players can play music. they either can't read the file or name tag.

LOL.

Open your app drawer and go to the widgets tab. It's in a different place in ICS.

Again, my Gmail works fine.

I don't use aol.

And Google Music sees and plays all of my music just fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch