Page 6 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree829Likes

Default Re: DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

Samurai:

Aside from the fact that this Moto screwup does show that they are working on an OMAP compatible version of JB (which portends well for Bionic owners), will the fast-track efforts to fix the RAZR situation help or hurt us? IOW, can they build off the RAZR work to get us ours that much quicker, or will there be a diversion of resources away from the Bionic development process, say beyond the March potential cutoff point?

That's a really good question. I've been struggling with that myself trying to decide how this will play out. Here's the problem I have....the RAZR JB build, and assumably the D4 and Electrify 2 JB builds, as well, all use the same 3.0.8 ICS kernel that we have on the Bionic right now. Let me repeat that...their JB builds are built on top of an *ICS* kernel. That means there's a LOT of work to be done. There's been 2 more builds on the RAZR since the accidental release. There's been 1 more build for D4 and Electrify 2. There's been 0 builds for Bionic. Not even an engineering build. I'll be watching for it over the next couple weeks. I want to say that being on a unified build helps us, but, I can't make that claim. I just simply don't know. Speculation.....this will hurt us in the end as they focus all their attention on the RAZR and D4 releases for the moment. I hope I'm wrong.

Samsung S4 Google Play Edition
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
    ....the RAZR JB build, and assumably the D4 and Electrify 2 JB builds, as well, all use the same 3.0.8 ICS kernel that we have on the Bionic right now.
    Interesting. If it's on our Kernel, wondering if Hash can pull the camera and bluetooth modules out of the half leak 4.1.2 for the Razr and make them work on the bionic for any of or JB roms. (CM10, CNA, etc...). Or maybe our bootloader/kernel being locked up means this won't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Erievon View Post
    Interesting. If it's on our Kernel, wondering if Hash can pull the camera and bluetooth modules out of the half leak 4.1.2 for the Razr and make them work on the bionic for any of or JB roms. (CM10, CNA, etc...). Or maybe our bootloader/kernel being locked up means this won't help.
    Good question. It's an interesting idea. I know the RAZR people were looking to do the same thing.

ROM
    Stock, rooted JB

As for root, I'm gonna give you guys a heads up right now...

-Install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper
    -Protect root
    -Temp unroot
    -Install update
    -Restore root

Those steps should be put on a sticky note for you somewhere as we're going to have to do the same thing in order to retain root when and if we get our JB update.
    OTA Rootkeeper seems also to need a bit of help with permissions once root is restored. In my case the issue is always raised by Titanium Backup, but it is also nice enough to offer me the opportunity to fix them automatically, right from the notification.

Quote Originally Posted by WebOS Refugee View Post
    OTA Rootkeeper seems also to need a bit of help with permissions once root is restored. In my case the issue is always raised by Titanium Backup, but it is also nice enough to offer me the opportunity to fix them automatically, right from the notification.
    Very nice. There is a step I forgot because I don't use superuser.apk. *BEFORE* protecting root, and this is VITALLY important or it won't work, you *MUST* update the su binary to the latest version. If you do not, it won't restore properly and you'll lose root.

Just thought I'd throw an update out there. The Bionic retail build of JB went into testing today. It should be noted it's the EXACT same build number as the D4 and RAZR builds. Unified builds indeed. If all goes well, it's possible we'll see a soak for it in 6 to 8 weeks.

Thanked by 2:
    Ry and SithLord0498 like this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #133  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

Just thought I'd throw an update out there. The Bionic retail build of JB went into testing today. It should be noted it's the EXACT same build number as the D4 and RAZR builds. Unified builds indeed. If all goes well, it's possible we'll see a soak for it in 6 to 8 weeks.
    Great news.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Indeed. Very good news. We WILL need to take protective measures to keep root, but, I have 2 methods that should protect us through the update.

Thanked by:
    LDubs 
    LDubs likes this.

I'm leery of taking any update without first checking user reviews. The last OTA update I took, it came in automatically and I didn't have a choice to decline or delay installation. Any idea if we can expect leaks ahead of time like with ICS to see how people like it, or how to delay the installation to make sure it's good before I take it? Obviously I can just disable data and wifi, but that's just impractical.

No leaks. Cheesecake is history on a permanent basis. No idea if we'll get any way to avoid the new OTA.

Awesome news, Samuri! Anecdotally, I haven't heard too many anguished cries from those who were recipients of the Christmas Eve miracle OTA, so I'm holding out hope that this could be an easier experience for us than the ICS experience was.

By the way, do we think JB will be less difficult on the hardware than ICS has been for many?

Now, need to head over to Moto's forums to make sure I'm signed up to be a soak tester!

I'm signed up, as well. I have no idea how punishing it'll be on the hardware. They just literally created it today.

ROM
    .246 ICS

No leaks. Cheesecake is history on a permanent basis. No idea if we'll get any way to avoid the new OTA.
    Sam,
    Do yo know if that was in response to all the ICS leaks?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Since they accidentally released the first RAZR JB build, and if it is supposed to be exactly the same as ours, and they are maybe speeding up the development of the RAZR build since they screwed up a couple weeks ago, does that mean it sped up the development of our build too?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Drummer View Post
    Sam,
    Do yo know if that was in response to all the ICS leaks?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums
    No, it was in response to all the smart asses who said "Well, if they REALLY wanted to stop all the leaks they'd secure their servers...wink wink" as if to imply that A> their servers weren't secure (they were and are) and that B> Motorola implicitly allowed the leaks (they didn't...they considered it stealing). People had NO CLUE AT ALL what cheesecake was and or how it worked. It took advantage of a security hole *on the phone* to allow them to pull leaks from servers they weren't authorized to use. Moto, with ICS, closed the hole. Thus ending the cheesecake legacy and shutting those morons up who thought it was all done intentionally by Moto.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by zachthebomb13 View Post
    Since they accidentally released the first RAZR JB build, and if it is supposed to be exactly the same as ours, and they are maybe speeding up the development of the RAZR build since they screwed up a couple weeks ago, does that mean it sped up the development of our build too?
    Ok, well, lemme see if I can clarify a little of this. The first build was for the RAZR. It was built on top of the same kernel we got with ICS...3.0.8. Definitely, without any doubt, an unfinished build. It hadn't even gone through testing yet before it was accidentally pushed. So, Moto worked double shifts on trying to fix the build. They came up empty. It was just too broken to fix. I'm not going to get into the details here, but, let's say Moto called in an audible and got a new engineering build created for the OMAP4 phones...D4, RAZR, and Bionic. They created a release build for D4 and RAZR from that new engineering build and tested the living crap out of it on D4 and RAZR over the course of I think 4 or 5 days. Then all of a sudden a release build showed up in testing for Bionic with the exact same version number. This, my friends, is the beauty of a unified builds.

TLDR: Yes, unified builds rock and sped up development *A LOT*.

Thanks for the info. It'll be a sad day when you decide to buy a different brand of phone and we can't get our insider Moto information anymore... Well, I can't wait. ICS is cool, and I'm sure JB will be even sweeter.
    gwhizkids likes this.

Co-worker says he's getting some sort of large OTA download on his Bionic right now. Possible early delivery? Prep update?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #145  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gwhizkids View Post
    Co-worker says he's getting some sort of large OTA download on his Bionic right now. Possible early delivery? Prep update?
    Get more info. Version/build number.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Very unlikely to be JB.

<egg on face>. It was a push of ICS. Sorry for the false alarm. How he didn't know it was ICS, I have no idea.

I'm told my guess of mid to late Feb is pretty close assuming nothing goes wrong.

Assuming, as Samuri says, nothing goes wrong and assuming they are making decent progress, I am assuming this will happen, even if we slip past the 19 month window. Lots of assuming!

Quote Originally Posted by gwhizkids View Post
    Assuming, as Samuri says, nothing goes wrong and assuming they are making decent progress, I am assuming this will happen, even if we slip past the 19 month window. Lots of assuming!
    I've been told that yes, if required, they can go past 18 months. If they get it out before March they won't have to worry about it. Everything I've seen says they're on track. We should be seeing a razr soak in the next week or two. Followed by a d4. Then us.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

WebOS Refugee likes this.
Page 6 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast