DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well boys and girls, it seems that the RAZR/MAXX users were good this year. Too good, in fact. Someone accidentally pushed out the JB release to them. LMAO! This is a VERY good sign for us, though. It means they're working on OMAP JB releases. The RAZR version was NOT supposed to be pushed yet, but, we've had that happen to us several times already. (901 anyone?). So anyway, some good things that I saw. 4.1.2 JB. Webtop is still kicking at 3.0.0. I'd be shocked if this thing was security locked meaning they should be able to FXZ back to ICS if they need to. This was the very first JB build meant for testing, so, I suspect that eventually they'll have to fast track an upgrade to the "official" build they end up pushing out. Like they did for 901 to 902 for us. Merry Xmas to RAZR users. LOL!

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
For those that update on the Maxx, do you think they're going to have a bunch of bugs, as it is just the first version? Went to update my wife's phone, but it didn't work. But now I'm thinking that might be for the best now, until bugs are ironed out. Too bad for the poor guy that accidentally hit the "push" button on the server. Won't be a good day for him.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yea, it's a very early release. As far as we can see, it's using the same ICS kernel that we have on our Bionic. So, it's clearly not finished. As for root, I'm gonna give you guys a heads up right now...

-Install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper
-Protect root
-Temp unroot
-Install update
-Restore root

Those steps should be put on a sticky note for you somewhere as we're going to have to do the same thing in order to retain root when and if we get our JB update.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Some things I've been able to learn from their JB release:

o) Security WAS updated. They can't go back to ICS. Booooooo!
o) This was literally the first build of JB (still with the ICS kernel) and was MEANT for testing only. IOW, this build was pushed out but not even tested internally yet. That's a HUGE "woops".
o) There is already a newer build being tested internally, so, the RAZR people will not be getting this build as the final JB build. I think that was obvious from the start.
o) Webtop 3.0.0 is still there. Those that use it on the Bionic can breath a little easier. Note that it will never be updated again, but, at least it looks like they haven't removed it.
o) JB can't be rooted directly. You must use the process I outlined above to maintain root. If we end up getting leaks for Bionic, this will present a very big problem for those that opt to install them. Because of the method we have to use to move between leaks, you will lose root between them without any way of restoring it or being able to re-root it. That kinda blows.

That's all I really know at this point. The Bionic build is not done. I don't even know if it's been started yet. RAZR/D4/Electrify 2 are all in testing now.

elthon

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a DROID RAZR MAXX and i have yet to receive the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update. I actually had a update notice(on December 24 around 4:00PM) while i was on the road and it said that the download would resume on WiFi. So i got home around 1:00AM(December 25) and i connect to Wi-Fi and lo and behold, the update disappears! I go into settings>system updates and it now says that my System is Up to Date! Im still running at ICS 4.0.4 (.211) and unrooted. Maybe theres a reason Verizon pulled the update early! Maybe somethings wrong with the update or its not the finished build.Oh well, i dont mind waiting for the OFFICIAL OTA rollout of Jelly Bean. Since we are getting the update soon, u Bionic owners shouldnt be too far off! The Razr(and Razr MAXX) and the Bionic are essentially the same device in a different body. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Some things I've been able to learn from their JB release:

o) Security WAS updated. They can't go back to ICS. Booooooo!
o) This was literally the first build of JB (still with the ICS kernel) and was MEANT for testing only. IOW, this build was pushed out but not even tested internally yet. That's a HUGE "woops".
o) There is already a newer build being tested internally, so, the RAZR people will not be getting this build as the final JB build. I think that was obvious from the start.
o) Webtop 3.0.0 is still there. Those that use it on the Bionic can breath a little easier. Note that it will never be updated again, but, at least it looks like they haven't removed it.
o) JB can't be rooted directly. You must use the process I outlined above to maintain root. If we end up getting leaks for Bionic, this will present a very big problem for those that opt to install them. Because of the method we have to use to move between leaks, you will lose root between them without any way of restoring it or being able to re-root it. That kinda blows.

That's all I really know at this point. The Bionic build is not done. I don't even know if it's been started yet. RAZR/D4/Electrify 2 are all in testing now.

Does the newer RAZR build in test update from this leak or the last OTA?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a DROID RAZR MAXX and i have yet to receive the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update. I actually had a update notice(on December 24 around 4:00PM) while i was on the road and it said that the download would resume on WiFi. So i got home around 1:00AM(December 25) and i connect to Wi-Fi and lo and behold, the update disappears! I go into settings>system updates and it now says that my System is Up to Date! Im still running at ICS 4.0.4 (.211) and unrooted. Maybe theres a reason Verizon pulled the update early! Maybe somethings wrong with the update or its not the finished build.Oh well, i dont mind waiting for the OFFICIAL OTA rollout of Jelly Bean. Since we are getting the update soon, u Bionic owners shouldnt be too far off! The Razr(and Razr MAXX) and the Bionic are essentially the same device in a different body. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Correct, the update was pulled a few hours after it was posted. It was NOT meant to be posted publicly. It is without a doubt NOT a finished build and is likely to have some bugs. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't install it as there's no going back to ICS once you do.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Does the newer RAZR build in test update from this leak or the last OTA?

They're all going to update the last OTA which is 211. There won't be a patch for this mistake until after the final JB build is rolled out to 211 users. A few days to a week after the rollout is complete they'll rollout a patch to those who are on this build.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If you have a big problem, then VZW is going to have to make it right. This will definitely strain the VZW/GooMot relationship but that's what happens when mistakes in process creep in.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
If you have a big problem, then VZW is going to have to make it right. This will definitely strain the VZW/GooMot relationship but that's what happens when mistakes in process creep in.

Fortunately, I am not one of those people and I stopped someone who is from installing. But you are absolutely right on that count. Where would the leak have come from? VZW?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
No, it was caused by a mistake at Moto. People don't seem to understand that Moto runs all the update servers. So what happened in this case was that the wrong server got updated and the update was made available for a short time until it was removed. This is a breakdown in process at Moto and VZW has nothing to do with it at all. Other than they are now caught in the middle of having to support a broken update. They're likely to be really pissed with Moto as this has happened several times before.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't help but chuckle at the term "GooMot." :p

MotGoo? :D LMAO :)