DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
But your link DOES say it will get it. Just does not say when.

Sure. I didn't say it wouldn't get it. I simply said it wasn't scheduled. None of the OMAP phones are. And that's not by accident. I'm not going to elaborate except to say that hopefully Google has *FULL* control over Moto at this point or there are going to be some really pissed off people (not just us Bionic users) next year. I'll leave it at that.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sure. I didn't say it wouldn't get it. I simply said it wasn't scheduled. None of the OMAP phones are. And that's not by accident. I'm not going to elaborate except to say that hopefully Google has *FULL* control over Moto at this point or there are going to be some really pissed off people (not just us Bionic users) next year. I'll leave it at that.

I hope Bionic owners don't turn into Photo owners. lol.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Awesome! I can't complain either way. I was gifted this phone, I came from the original Galaxy S, and there are sooo many great features with this phone. Either way I am happy!! thanks for your reply.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm afraid I don't have any good news to report. It was hoped that when Moto missed the beginning of the month for an engineering build that it was to be released by today. That hasn't happened. I'm told that if we don't see one by mid-Feb they are going to backtrack on a JB build for the OMAP phones. Notice I said OMAP phones....that's not just us. That's the RAZR/MAXX and D4 people, as well. Moto apparently doesn't see any value in providing those updates since the phones are "so old". One would have thought Google would fight harder for that 18 month window, but, it's clear to me that Moto is going to drag its feet on this until the 18 month window expires. If this happens and the OMAP phones don't get a JB release, it may very well be my last Moto device until every executive has been fired and replaced. And even then Google will have to win back my trust. Sorry, but, I just don't have any good news for us at all on this one.

340DartMan

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm afraid I don't have any good news to report. It was hoped that when Moto missed the beginning of the month for an engineering build that it was to be released by today. That hasn't happened. I'm told that if we don't see one by mid-Feb they are going to backtrack on a JB build for the OMAP phones. Notice I said OMAP phones....that's not just us. That's the RAZR/MAXX and D4 people, as well. Moto apparently doesn't see any value in providing those updates since the phones are "so old". One would have thought Google would fight harder for that 18 month window, but, it's clear to me that Moto is going to drag its feet on this until the 18 month window expires. If this happens and the OMAP phones don't get a JB release, it may very well be my last Moto device until every executive has been fired and replaced. And even then Google will have to win back my trust. Sorry, but, I just don't have any good news for us at all on this one.

That would be a shame. I really like my bionic. Have been holding off rooting again in anticipation of the JB release. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath! Might go ahead and root.

Thank you

Tony

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Sam. I really hope they dont completely abandon all omap phones. That would truly be a shame and very shortsighted. Razr maxx isnt that old...

sent from my icy bionic

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Trust me I know. Especially after making the commitment. But now they're trying really hard to back out of it and only support the new toys. And I'm quite sure VZW will have no problem with that since they fought against the Bionic ICS update so hard. Quite honestly if they weasel out of this by dragging their feet, I'm going to be pissed and take my business elsewhere.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
it actually wouldn't surprise me. since the bionic was one of the biggest head aches motorola ever release. i don't know how any one could like it. cuz i think it's the bigest pos i've ever owned. add to the fact that the phone was 9 months past on it's initial release date. and that it took so long to release ics. and that verizon doesn't even sell the phone anymore. heck, i can't even buy a battery.

i'm eligible for upgrade n 5 months. i'm pretty sure i'll be getting a new phone before jb rolls out, IF.

mgenthner25

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Bummer. So it seems that given the convoluted android update process, you can expect *one* OS upgrade after buying a phone. The crew at work all carry Samsung Infuse 4gs (company bought phones from AT&T) and they went from Froyo to GB but AFAIK they are done. Many Bionics were bought in Sept. of 2011, but it took Moto & Verizon nearly a year after ICS release to get us an ICS build. Now, of course, they are thinking "Hey, these guys are due an upgrade soon, we'd rather sell them a new phone." The biggest problem with the Android platform, as I see it, is that you have too many players involved in OS upgrade process and those players have every economic incentive to drag their feet. I was a bit surprised when the Bionic was tentatively placed on the JB upgrade list. Now we see that it just isn't in anyone's interest to make this upgrade happen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying it absolutely won't happen, but, so far it doesn't look so good. Of course, they could decide to go past the 18 month support Window and give us jb later than March. I don't consider that likely but it's possible. They still have time to get it out there before March at this point, too, but I don't believe they've even started on any of the OMAP phones so the clock is ticking. We shall see what ends up happening. None of the OMAP phones even have a quarter assigned for the update. It should at least say q1 if they were serious about releasing it...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You'll get it when they officially announce no jb for bionic (and right now it's still on the list) and when you send them your bionic.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i was told last night by a V store that they only carry models for 3 months.

WHO THE HECK ARE YOU KIDDING.

as for buying a new phone. that logic kinda goes out the window since the only way your getting a new phone is to wait 2 years or pay full price.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe