Whine back in headphone output on 246? [SOLVED]

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If you hear whine on ICS, please respond.

If you don't hear it, BUT have NEVER heard the headphone whine in the past, please don't bother to respond, as the issue has to do with the OS, your hearing, and headphone sensitivity.

Basically, I'm interested in hearing from folks who remember the whine last year with the original release of the OS. It disappeared with the first update (901?)

EDIT: Solution was to buy a Note 2. LOVE IT!! :)

Last edited:

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Whine back in headphone output on 246?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1357643

For anyone with the issue, give that a try. I found that it seemed to help a year ago. I did originally have the issue, but after doing that it helped some. I ended up getting bluetooth headphones and didn't have to worry about it anymore. I will dig out some regular headphones when I get back home from a weekend vacation to see if my work-around still works, and to see if in fact the issue came back. Give that a try though, see if it helps.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Haven't got the update yet. Someone else who did said it whines. No reason to doubt them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

niroc

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

I never experienced the whine on GB even before the "fix" came out. About 2 weeks ago I updated to 247 and I instantly noted the whine. Granted I use a cheaper pair of ear buds but it's still annoying as hell.

I recently downgraded to 246 since it's the OTA. I'll let you know if I notice any difference.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

Ok, so, the whine is definitely there at low volume. Unfortunately, I don't have a reference if it was there in 905 or not. I've been using my bluetooth headphones for a long time, and looks like I will continue to do so. Well, I'm honestly not that upset by it, the upgrade really woke this phone up otherwise.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I've never had the wine on GB or ICS 232 when feeding to stereo, but temporarily can't check on the 246 build (no headphones to test with). Still, if they fixed it before, they should be able to fix it again if people complain about it. Sucks that it's an issue at all, though.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I've never had the wine on GB or ICS 232 when feeding to stereo, but temporarily can't check on the 246 build (no headphones to test with). Still, if they fixed it before, they should be able to fix it again if people complain about it. Sucks that it's an issue at all, though.

yes they may fix it again but this time it it's far worse on two bionics here and I'm not waiting months again. Moving on is MY best option

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bradvoy

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Yep, the whine is back. I'm struggling to decide whether I care. I rarely use wired headphones any more, usually using my Bluetooth headphones or the Bluetooth connection in my car. But in the rare times when I do use wired headphones that whine is going to really bother me.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

if it doesn't bother you that's cool. When I was a little kid, I used to say,"If I care, I care, and if I don't care, I DON'T CARE!". LOL! I don't remember saying that, but my folks have told me about it. LOL!

In a little over a week, I've got a round trip from coast to coast. I do not look forward to listening to whine over my music which I listen to a lot to drown out the engine noise and talkative passengers, some of which seem to NEVER shut up for hours. I once sat in front of a young doctor who loudly blabbed non-stop for over 3 hours. I almost lost my cool and asked him to shut up, but it was more a fantasy than something I'd actually do. sigh. zThe Bose are great at cutting down engine noise but do little for attenuating loud talkers. I hate flying these days.

bradvoy

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

I know what you mean. When I get on a flight I usually put on headphones and try to screen out the noise of my fellow passengers. But I rarely use my phone for that; I usually use my tablet, and it doesn't whine.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Its back with a vengeance on mine.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

bummer. I'm impatiently waiting to get shipping info on the razr maxx. several others in "the other" android forum have said (in my thread on the subject) that their bionics are whining terribly on ICS and resets haven't fixed them. I've read of just one or two instances (I THINK it's just one) that a reset supposedly fixed the whine. I find that HIGHLY UNLIKELY, but I don't want to come right out and claim they are being, how shall I say it, being disingenuous. Given the problems that affected just about every bionic at launch, I just find it amazing that anyone with this new and worse issue with whine would find it magically eliminated by a reset. but whatever. i'm sick of this bionic.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

bummer. I'm impatiently waiting to get shipping info on the razr maxx. several others in "the other" android forum have said (in my thread on the subject) that their bionics are whining terribly on ICS and resets haven't fixed them. I've read of just one or two instances (I THINK it's just one) that a reset supposedly fixed the whine. I find that HIGHLY UNLIKELY, but I don't want to come right out and claim they are being, how shall I say it, being disingenuous. Given the problems that affected just about every bionic at launch, I just find it amazing that anyone with this new and worse issue with whine would find it magically eliminated by a reset. but whatever. i'm sick of this bionic.

It's certainly not a new issue. Earlier releases of gingerbread had the problem as well. They fixed it in 902 i believe. Its too bad that this ics release contained this regression.

mjwalsh

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

I have noticed it too. However, I just bought new high end headphones at the same time I started using the bionic for music, so never thought about it being an ICS issue

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

LOL! I'm well aware! I got my bionic on launch day. I can YOU all about whine. I was the one that started one of the two major threads on the subject, last year. can't remember if i started it here or "the other forum". :)

- - - Updated - - -

yup. it's the high pitched straw that broke this camel's back. sammy, here I come!

reinhold23

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

You've gotta be freakin' kidding me. How did we wait a year for ICS only to have them bring this miserable sound quality issue back from the dead?!

The whine is back. Is it worse than ever? Not sure, but I'm furious.

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

I had it with .893 but it wasn't bad. I didn't have it with .232 (I never had .902 or 905 since I was on a ROM) It came back bad with .246 but I did a full FXZ to .246 and it's gone now. I've got no explanation for it, but it worked for me.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I had it with .893 but it wasn't bad. I didn't have it with .232 (I never had .902 or 905 since I was on a ROM) It came back bad with .246 but I did a full FXZ to .246 and it's gone now. I've got no explanation for it, but it worked for me.

weird as hell, eh? glad yours is gone. I need a new phone! I hope the Sammy N2 isn't a POS. I don't want a phone that has a great camera, but lousy sound call quality or lousy speaker phone. the S3 I heard recently sounds like poop. And I don't want to drop $650 for a Raxr Maxx HD when it really is hardly any bigger than what I have and the camera is absolutely atrocious.

Hokiecow

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone else tried this and have any luck?

malignanttheories

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I remember all the headphone jack whine discussions... And sadly I think we're in for round two. I'm noticing the exact same behavior, no better, no worse. I'm going to do a full reset and or FZX of .246 for other reasons, but I'll post back once i get reset if anything changes or not.