I've had an S10+ since last June, but I'm interested in the Note 10+

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Note 10+ in February and I still love it. The screen is big and looks great, the phone is snappy, and the battery lasts all day long. Since I can read I knew the power button was on the left side before I bought it.

I bought mine on Swappa for $600 bucks. It is mint condition. That's the way to go unless you just want to pay $1200+ for the S20 Ultra or upcoming Note 20.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
My current device is carrier unlocked and being used on T-Mobile Prepaid. I've never owned a Note device so I don't know what it's like to have used the S-Pen and be without it, but I figure that the S-Pen would be useful for times when I need to jot down a quick note or phone number with screen off memo, or using Samsung Notes to write up a shopping list.

It doesn't come with a headphone jack which sucks, but I do have the LG V20 that I recently bought to use solely as a music and media player on WiFi. I've never used wireless earbuds, so I'm a bit concerned about using Bluetooth to make calls, and how having it constantly toggled on will affect battery life.

Finally, I'm not really a fan of having the power button on the left, as I'm used to the button layout on the right. Is that a bother to other folks? How's the standby and screen on time for those of you also on T-Mobile? The only game I play really is Word Wars (Scrabble) and that kills my battery pretty quick.

Other than that, I'm a basic user: periodic voice calls, texts, music streaming on GPM, watching YouTube videos, and browsing the web and forums. GSM Arena gives a battery endurance rating of 107 hours, which is great, and based on my usage I think I could possibly get close to two days and double digit SOT with the Note 10+.

As an aside, I find myself also interested in the LG V60 and that huge 5000 mAh battery which would for sure give me two days of life, plus that awesome quad DAC, but LG phones just seem like a half-assed version of Samsung phones. Their UI is childish and ugly; LG Smartworld is in no way as customizable as Galaxy Store in terms of theming options, and the signal reception I experienced on the V30 I owned for all of two weeks was terrible. Speaking of which, I've seen some on the Note 10 Reddit say that their unlocked Note 10+ that they use on T-Mobile gets only two bars depending on where they are as compared to a Note 10+ that's locked to T-Mobile. Is this a widespread issue?

Lastly, as someone with smaller hands, the boxy build is a bit of a concern, but I do use a [Loopy Case](https://www.loopycases.com/products/loopy-galaxy-note-10-plus?variant=31878667796554) with the S10+, so it helps some with the handling. I realize that I could just wait for the Note 20 in a few months, but since I can't afford to upgrade every three, six or 12 months a year, I figure now would be the time to get the most value for my pristine S10+ and it's accessories. What would you do if you were me? I would feel a bit weird selling now given the pandemic and the economic situation, if I'm being honest. Maybe I'm just being greedy. Thoughts? Feedback (T-Mobile users, especially) is appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJYUYeW_mqU&feature=youtu.be
Apparently, the LGV60 phone supports stylus pen writing. Advance to 5:05 in the above video to see this. The reviewer says the stylus pen support is nowhere near as advanced as a new Samsung Note phone, but it's still usable for basic functions. I use the stylus pen on my Note 10+ for annotations to draw on a screenshot pic, which I find useful (such as writing "this way dummy" plus an arrow pointing to the right direction, LOL). My friend has the LGV60 phone, the dual screen looks really cool. I'd rather have the LGV60 phone for $1,000 versus the Samsung Fold phone for $2,000. I've never had an LG phone so I can't comment on the interface.

Using a USB-C dongle/adapter for music or other external accessories is a hassle, but doable. Plus Samsung provides a USB-C headphone in the box with a new Note 10+ purchase. Only time it becomes a true hassle for me is when using the supplied USB-C headphone for watching videos and I want to also charge the phone simultaneously using an external battery pack. Can't do both things simultaneously since there is only one single USB-C port on the phone. But even this point is moot now that I recently purchased the new Samsung Buds Plus wireless headphones. Still, I'd rather have the 3.5mm audio jack on the phone.

Overall I'm very pleased with my Note 10+ phone, it's the most powerful smartphone I've ever had. I can have nuuuuuumerous apps opened simultaneously without crashing, the phone is fast for everything including video editing and rendering. I don't have any real complaints other than the curved screen which I don't care for. I prefer a flat screen cuz a curved screen gets in the way trying to write on the outer edges of the screen or reading text at the edges. Also, the power button is way too closely positioned to the volume down button, so I'm constantly turning off the screen by mistake when I'm simply trying to lower the volume. Still happens to this day.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I do have a valid complaint. The finger print screen reader on the Note 10+ really s#cks badly. Truly a big step backwards in technology and a huge hassle which I've written about many times in the past. Fortunately, I've been using facial recognition which works quite well instead of fingerprint access.

Last edited:

Fulani Filot

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I have a Note 10+

The bad:
It doesn't have the headphone jack but worse it doesn't have the latest bluetooth chipset. The bt HD codecs it can use are limited because of this:(
60hz display. Really Samsung?
The curve screen is a pain protect and you need a good case to protect the s pen corner, it's preferred corner to land on in a drop. Or it face plants.
Since it has just about zero sides, it's beautiful and a big heavy weight baby that needs drop protection 24/7.

The good:
The square display is hands down gorgeous.
It's snappy and fast especially the half terabit internal memory variant (reccomended).
Short of rooting it's the most customizable smartphone you can buy, a Samsung niche. It literally has hundreds of free icon packs for at the Samsung store and well customization apks like the Good Lock family of apps.
Using dark themes especially will yield good battery life because of the OLED screen.
There are good package disablers (highly recommended if you are tech teachable) that increase battery and kill the bloatware (and bixby) on boot up.

I have small hands and use a Zizo case, no problems at all with it's size and I always want more screen. Went from an S4+ and welcomed the increase acreage immediately.
I also have multiple touch switch controls along both sides controlling 14 control/app swipes (Samsung One Handed Operation +) plus the Edge drawer.

If you don't mind spending some serious set up time this phone is a blast with tons of buried features. Movies look great on it too. Galaxy buds connects as soon as you put the 1st one in your ear.

The ugly:
Samsung tech support is the worst I've ever seen, worse than Sony. Expect -zero- from them and I'm saying this when only Marine grade profanity can properly express how truly inept and worthless they are. No joke.
Escalating a problem with them is as easy as hitting your fingers with a 5 pound sledge.
The hammer thing is actually easier... and less painful.
Don't even bother calling them for answers... use this forum and Google search.

If it lacks the headset jack sites that mean the users have no option but to use Bluetooth headsets with the SGN10/SGN10+ ?

dneu

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have had my Samsung Note 10+ since August. I love the screens, speed, camera, etc. I don't use the S-pen as much as I did with my previous Note phones. I search for reviews on the iPhones thinking I should switch, but I just can't bring myself to buy an iPhone. To me it's like going from a Ford to a Chevy. The one thing I have to say is that the phones are getting too big. Can't fit them in a crossbody bag since downsizing from tote-size handbags. I use a LOOPY CASE for my phone to protect from dropping it. Loopycases.com.
I am on the fence with purchasing a Samsung watch, seen mixed reviews. The Note 10+:is a fantastic phone!

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Either that, or get a headphone dongle. But you have to find one that plays nice with the phone.

Exactly. The dongle is impractical on a mobile device like this except at home or the office. Even then it's a burden.
The Samsung dongles are fragile and 3rd party ones may not function properly.

The good news is even the 1st generation of Galaxy Buds now sound great. The most recent updates a few days ago really tweaked their audio proper and cleaned up their audio for music listening a lot. Lol, haven't given it the harpsichord.wav file test yet... probably better if I don't know.

Having no wires freedom, decent tunes and not worrying about them falling out, ever, is spectacular.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. The dongle is impractical on a mobile device like this except at home or the office. Even then it's a burden.
The Samsung dongles are fragile and 3rd party ones may not function properly.

The good news is even the 1st generation of Galaxy Buds now sound great. The most recent updates a few days ago really tweaked their audio proper and cleaned up their audio for music listening a lot. Lol, haven't given it the harpsichord.wav file test yet... probably better if I don't know.

Having no wires freedom, decent tunes and not worrying about them falling out, ever, is spectacular.

I learned first hand the hard way that some dongles are compatible in working well...others not so much.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting to see what the new note has to offer later this yr.
And what they are gonna want for it.
If the price is ridiculous..
I may keep my money in my pocket..

A new phone has gotten ridiculous in price.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting to see what the new note has to offer later this yr.
And what they are gonna want for it.
If the price is ridiculous..
I may keep my money in my pocket..

A new phone has gotten ridiculous in price.

I'd rather buy spend $1,500 on (another) decent laptop than a phone...or another DSLR camera lens for my other pet vice.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I got about 3 new laptops.

Can't stick a laptop in my pocket.

I want a new phone.
Big battery.
Big screen...

And big memory. Gene Roddenberry would have been dazzled to infinity to have had one of these devices.
He dreamed and craved of it decades ago, knew it would come but never lived to see that day. We did.

Having my whole CD collection as .wav and .wav/HDCD files with 200 gb to spare is justice.
Literally I could use 2 tb... still have the SD card :)

Last edited:

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJYUYeW_mqU&feature=youtu.be
Apparently, the LGV60 phone supports stylus pen writing. Advance to 5:05 in the above video to see this. The reviewer says the stylus pen support is nowhere near as advanced as a new Samsung Note phone, but it's still usable for basic functions. I use the stylus pen on my Note 10+ for annotations to draw on a screenshot pic, which I find useful (such as writing "this way dummy" plus an arrow pointing to the right direction, LOL). My friend has the LGV60 phone, the dual screen looks really cool. I'd rather have the LGV60 phone for $1,000 versus the Samsung Fold phone for $2,000. I've never had an LG phone so I can't comment on the interface.

Using a USB-C dongle/adapter for music or other external accessories is a hassle, but doable. Plus Samsung provides a USB-C headphone in the box with a new Note 10+ purchase. Only time it becomes a true hassle for me is when using the supplied USB-C headphone for watching videos and I want to also charge the phone simultaneously using an external battery pack. Can't do both things simultaneously since there is only one single USB-C port on the phone. But even this point is moot now that I recently purchased the new Samsung Buds Plus wireless headphones. Still, I'd rather have the 3.5mm audio jack on the phone.

Overall I'm very pleased with my Note 10+ phone, it's the most powerful smartphone I've ever had. I can have nuuuuuumerous apps opened simultaneously without crashing, the phone is fast for everything including video editing and rendering. I don't have any real complaints other than the curved screen which I don't care for. I prefer a flat screen cuz a curved screen gets in the way trying to write on the outer edges of the screen or reading text at the edges. Also, the power button is way too closely positioned to the volume down button, so I'm constantly turning off the screen by mistake when I'm simply trying to lower the volume. Still happens to this day.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I do have a valid complaint. The finger print screen reader on the Note 10+ really s#cks badly. Truly a big step backwards in technology and a huge hassle which I've written about many times in the past. Fortunately, I've been using facial recognition which works quite well instead of fingerprint access.

Have you tried scanning your prints by using the same finger on both hands and alternating them at each percentage so that it reads as one scanned print? That's what I do. I just make sure to reposition my thumbs so every possible angle gets scanned. This ups the success rate a bit. If you watch Jimmy is Promo's YouTube videos, he covers Samsung phones extensively.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried scanning your prints by using the same finger on both hands and alternating them at each percentage so that it reads as one scanned print? That's what I do. I just make sure to reposition my thumbs so every possible angle gets scanned. This ups the success rate a bit. If you watch Jimmy is Promo's YouTube videos, he covers Samsung phones extensively.

The only way the finger print scanner can be nearly 100% reliable is if Samsung were to incorporate a physical print scanner that's exactly the same design as on the back of the Samsung S9 phone. When I had that S9 phone, the rear physical finger print scanner worked great. Hopefully the next generation of Note phones will incorporate that same proven technology. There are nuuuuuumerous threads and a gazillion posts of many other users reporting the same problem over the past 12 months, so we can't all be delusional about this. Yes, I've tried all the many different methods and then some, nothing worked reliably. Facial recognition is about as good as it gets...at least good enough that I no longer want to throw my phone out the window in disgust. I also use facial recognition on my Windows laptop, so I'm used to it.