Non-stock charging cable

TOPshogun

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys think it would be OK to charge the bionic with a non-moto charger? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. My stock one stopped charging so I was wondering if I could use my nexus 7 USB charger and not affect it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The stock charger is rated for 850mA. As long as you use one rated for that or higher and you'll be fine. Lower than that and you risk it not being able to charge the phone, the charger will likely run hot, and it will shorten the charger's life from being over worked.

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I always use my blackberry chargers. Their cords are twice the length of the moto charger and actually REACH my nightstand.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
ummmm, my originals only lasted 6 weeks. my older htc lasted 2 months. so you can't blame the walmart brand. they all suck

if they were as good quality is the older style usb plugs. them things lasted. but this newer crap. i get nothing for life out of them.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure it's the chargers and not the cables going out? I've never has a charger issue (unless it was too weak), but there were times I've gone trough a cable a month.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Over the course of the last week I've charged the Bionic from:

• my old Palm Pre wall charger through a generic ReTrak retractable USB => MicroUSB cable,
  • the power supply for the Motorola dock,
  • the Motorola dock itself,
  • a Verizon dual-USB car charger plugged into the Motorola car dock, and
  • a Blackberry MicroUSB charger,
all with no problems. Each of them provides sufficient power and the MicroUSB connection works. Done.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
that's the problem. the plug connectors don't last for nothing.

absolutely nothing goes wrong with the charger itself. it's always the plug port that goes into the phone.

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've got half a dozen chargers or so throughout the house and office. The newest is 13 months old, the oldest is three years or more.

If you're going through a charger a month I suspect the common denominator is you, not the hardware.
I don't mean that in an argumentative way, but you might look at how you're handling your chargers.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
last week i was listening to my satellite radio. there's a talk show i listen to nightly. and pretty much every caller was talking about the same problem.

i'm not the only one who's cables don't last.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
On SiriusXM? I'm a talk talk show junkie on there and curious which show.

Next time it happens, though, try replacing the cable only. Not the charger. I posted a thread on here a while back about USB cables not lasting very long.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I still use the same charge cable that I have had for over a year myself and a few others but all of which are at least a year old or more. Most any charger should work fine for overnight charging but if you are going to use it in your car while using GPS and Bluetooth make sure it will put out enouch juice, around 1 amp, to keep up with the power being consumed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch